News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

English language in the japanese version of Fusion

Started by nan0, August 11, 2012, 05:52:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TobiMikami

That's gotta be an altered version of that intro screen, I don't remember the colors being that psychedelic in the original?Presuning someone here did that, it's frigging beautiful.

FelixWright

Are you referring to the rainbow background of the file select screen? That's vanilla, yeah.

Quote from: ShadowOne333 on January 26, 2023, 05:55:39 PM
have gone ahead and translated the remaining Japanese in order to have the proper ROM in English now, with the option to play in Japanese thanks to biospark's code.

I'll share it here for those interested.
(There are some additional changes I made, which are all palette modifications located around 0x29XXXX, 0x5684XX and 0x3E6738

I'm quite interested in this. I have no idea about hacking, so I have to ask if it's possible or simple to swap the English text with the Spanish text. Not asking you to do it if you're not interested, just curious. I'm also curious about those palette modifications, what do they affect?

Thank you for your work :^_^:

TobiMikami

In the off chance that somebody else already made a patch to swap the languages, even if it's a different language, I'd imagine it'd be a lot easier to input the desired translation into said patch, and then you're basically "writing over" the old text versus having to go through and edit the on-board in editor text messages, there's some that are GUI based like the item prompt where you'd have to open the ROM and change each line of text as like, a sprite versus a piece of text, one complication I can foresee with that part would be if the translation is more characters than the original and exceeds the tile space allotted. If you do have to go through and do everything manually, you're in for a long, tedious process. Just like trying to swap suit sprites, there's no getting around the monotony, unless someone already made a patch for whatever suit you want of course.

ShadowOne333

Quote from: ディエゴ⁽ʸᵉʸᵘᵘ⁾ on February 01, 2023, 07:13:56 AM
I'm quite interested in this. I have no idea about hacking, so I have to ask if it's possible or simple to swap the English text with the Spanish text. Not asking you to do it if you're not interested, just curious. I'm also curious about those palette modifications, what do they affect?

Thank you for your work :^_^:

Assuming @biospark's code allows for simply changing which text one can choose in the menu, then yeah, it should be fairly simple to do with his code. I'd actually want to swap out the Japanese one for Spanish for my own friends to try out, so they can play it without knowing English, but it depends on the code biospark made. Not sure if the source for his IPS is available to check or not, but with some reverse engineering it should be possible to know with certainty.

As for the palette changes, it's just suit palettes which I made to be more consistent and more in-tone with the official artwork or even those front images we see of Samus in game. The most obvious example being the palette change I made to the Varia Suit, which I think had some wrongly placed colours. Only that and swapping the pink in the minimap and map to blue for rooms, but that's all.

TobiMikami

Maybe if OP is multilingual and/or willing and capable of doing the translation, and needs help with the programming you guys could team up, maybe with some help from the community and create a patch for universally changing languages in general, I've seen a LOT of really amazing Spanish channels for SM hacks in recent years, the non Emglish or Japanese speaking markets for hacks has grown a lot since 2014, it's really kinda amazing how games decade(s) old unite people of all corners of the earth.

Quote from: ShadowOne333 on February 02, 2023, 04:18:27 PM
Assuming @biospark's code allows for simply changing which text one can choose in the menu, then yeah, it should be fairly simple to do with his code. I'd actually want to swap out the Japanese one for Spanish for my own friends to try out, so they can play it without knowing English, but it depends on the code biospark made. Not sure if the source for his IPS is available to check or not, but with some reverse engineering it should be possible to know with certainty.

As for the palette changes, it's just suit palettes which I made to be more consistent and more in-tone with the official artwork or even those front images we see of Samus in game. The most obvious example being the palette change I made to the Varia Suit, which I think had some wrongly placed colours. Only that and swapping the pink in the minimap and map to blue for rooms, but that's all.

I see, I had a similar idea regarding having English and Spanish instead of Japanese, so I hope it can be done! Also now that I have some free time I'll finally get to try the patch :grin:

biospark

Apparently I added the ability to chose any language per save file, so here's the asm for that

TobiMikami

That link def should be uploaded to the main site (presuming its not there already since OP couldn't find it beforehand, and I wouldn't doubt they're the only ones looking for this.)

biospark

Quote from: TobiMikami on February 09, 2023, 12:40:18 AM
That link def should be uploaded to the main site (presuming its not there already since OP couldn't find it beforehand, and I wouldn't doubt they're the only ones looking for this.)

It's super old code that I never finished. There are still some things that are hard-coded to use Japanese, like some of the graphics.

ShadowOne333

From my tests so far with the new code shared by biospark, the only instance of untranslated text I could find was that of the Game Over text (Try Again?). With my limited know-how of the GBA hacking, I translated the one being used (the one all in japanese, LZ image 390, located at 0x73B6F0, the one with both English and Japanese is still in the ROM in image 387 or so I believe).

This is how it currently looks in-game:

I had to move the letters a bit to the right so they don't collide with Samus' head.
I could import the graphics from the original US release if the position of Samus' head were to be modified, but that's out of my reach until I get to know the GBA's assembly a bit better.

For reference, here's how the US screen looks:

Humptyace

Quote from: ShadowOne333 on February 10, 2023, 03:40:34 PM
From my tests so far with the new code shared by biospark, the only instance of untranslated text I could find was that of the Game Over text (Try Again?). With my limited know-how of the GBA hacking, I translated the one being used (the one all in japanese, LZ image 390, located at 0x73B6F0, the one with both English and Japanese is still in the ROM in image 387 or so I believe).

This is how it currently looks in-game:

I had to move the letters a bit to the right so they don't collide with Samus' head.
I could import the graphics from the original US release if the position of Samus' head were to be modified, but that's out of my reach until I get to know the GBA's assembly a bit better.

For reference, here's how the US screen looks:

This looks pretty clean to me. Would you be so kind to share the IPS? I'll gladly give it a try  :^_^:

ShadowOne333

Quote from: Humptyace on March 12, 2023, 11:03:23 PMThis looks pretty clean to me. Would you be so kind to share the IPS? I'll gladly give it a try  :^_^:

I don't have a standalone IPS, I have the source code though which can be compiled with Armips.
You can find it in my repo:
https://github.com/ShadowOne333/Metroid-Fusion-Redux

If you only want the Language change, you can comment everything but the Language code in the main.asm file.
Btw, thank to the help by a lot of people in the MetConst Discord server, Samus' head is now also on the same position as in the English ROM in the game over screen, so now everything should be properly translated and such. :)

TheMrGmk

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I found out that if you beat the game on adult mode (kanji) with the patch that changes the game to be all in english, the gallery will not be updated with the appropriate unlockable pictures.
This doesn't happen while playing in child (hiragana), the correct pictures are unlocked.
I suspect that this is due to the gallery unlocks being tied to language selection, or maybe setting the two modes to have the same language causes conflicts.
I have also tested the patches that feature english/japanese selection in this thread, and I can confirm that the gallery in these patches works as intented (don't know if it's because the japanese mode in these patches is the same as the og kanji mode, or simply because the languages are set to be different).

So what was suggested by this post may have the collateral effect of being a solution to these code side issues:

Quote from: TobiMikami on February 02, 2023, 03:49:07 PM
In the off chance that somebody else already made a patch to swap the languages, even if it's a different language, I'd imagine it'd be a lot easier to input the desired translation into said patch, and then you're basically "writing over" the old text versus having to go through and edit the on-board in editor text messages, there's some that are GUI based like the item prompt where you'd have to open the ROM and change each line of text as like, a sprite versus a piece of text, one complication I can foresee with that part would be if the translation is more characters than the original and exceeds the tile space allotted. If you do have to go through and do everything manually, you're in for a long, tedious process. Just like trying to swap suit sprites, there's no getting around the monotony, unless someone already made a patch for whatever suit you want of course.