News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid Fusion: Special Edition (Now with hard mode!)

Started by Lostglaceon, August 06, 2021, 12:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emberson9000

This mod is really impressive, but I noticed when playing hard mode, the game consistently softlocked after entering the door to the Charge Beam boss. I would walk in, the game would freeze for a short period of time, and then the screen would transition into a mass of destructable blocks and garbage everywhere. The normal mode worked fine, but I'd love for Hard Mode to be fixed. The color choices for Hard Mode are great, even if I didn't notice too many changes in the actual difficulty other than maybe an enemy taking an extra missile to defeat. I wouldn't really know how much harder it gets though, so I'm eager to see where this mod is going to go.

sheck

I just discovered this and this is a great mod - I love that the vanilla progression is untouched, but there are still so many little changes that allow items and routes to be accessed earlier. Replacing so many screw attack blocks with power bomb blocks really makes things move faster even just playing linearly (I loved being able to get those damn shinespark items in Sector 6 without backtracking).
However, one softlock I just discovered is in the pump room in Sector 4.
I played through normally, getting missiles, morph ball, charge beam, then bombs. In lower sector 2, I got the early power bombs, then used those to escape TRO without collecting plasma or high jump. Then I went to Sector 4 and got speed boost from Serris. At this point, I tried to go lower the water so I could collect the few items that opens up. However, the pump room computer was not available to use. So once my shinespark wore off I was stuck. You can drop down and collect the missiles below the computer, but you can't jump up the two blocks to get out of that little chamber. It's too low to grab the ledge, but you can't bomb jump underwater (and I don't have high jump/spring ball yet).
Anyway, I guess the pump room is inactive until you're "supposed" to be in AQA after getting high jump. The more you know.

H A M

when you download sector 6 map data it displays the boss icon which ruins the surprise
also there are 2 boss icons when you download sector 4 map data
when playing mfse in the "intended" path

ShadowOne333

Been having a blast with MF Special Edition.
The changes in mechanics and visuals really make it seem like a much more fluid and pleasing game. :)

It's a shame that MAGE currently doesn't support the Japanese version of Fusion though.
With it, it would be very much feasible to port Special Edition into the Japanese version to have the added bonus of the Hard Mode included within the same ROM with a sole-standalone patch.
Hopefully in the near future.

FelixWright

Quote from: ShadowOne333 on October 04, 2022, 05:35:49 PM
The changes in mechanics and visuals really make it seem like a much more fluid and pleasing game. :)

It's a shame that MAGE currently doesn't support the Japanese version of Fusion though.
With it, it would be very much feasible to port Special Edition into the Japanese version to have the added bonus of the Hard Mode included within the same ROM with a sole-standalone patch.

MAGE alone isn't the reason this hack exists. You would also have to wait for ports of the MFOR/sequence breaking fusion patches in order to port MFSE to the JP ROM. That said MAGE 2 will support more regions so that's a start.

FelixWright

ShadowOne333

Quote from: FelixWright on October 04, 2022, 05:38:28 PM
Quote from: ShadowOne333 on October 04, 2022, 05:35:49 PM

MAGE alone isn't the reason this hack exists. You would also have to wait for ports of the MFOR/sequence breaking fusion patches in order to port MFSE to the JP ROM. That said MAGE 2 will support more regions so that's a start.

Oh yes for sure, while having MAGE support the Japanese ROM wouldn't make porting SE to it a breeze, it'd certainly help to at least port all the graphical and level layout stuff from it.
The ASM and other code specific to MFSE would still need a proper port into the Japanese ROM.

Either that or port the Hard mode code from MF(J) into MF(U) :P

TwistedPretzel85

Excellent hack! I love being able to sequence break and collect items like Power Bombs and the Plasma Beam early. The one issue I had playing was after clearing the Nightmare boss, I wound up running in place endlessly after grabbing the Gravity Suit and was unable to escape. Hopefully this will be ironed out in future updates. If there is any way to make the computer's dialogues skippable with Start, that would also be much appreciated. On the whole, very nice work.

CrystalUM_

A great hack for a great game. And frankly speaking, the hack adds what the main game lacked. It is the Sequence Break. I hope that in the future it will be possible to play the WHOLE GAME without visiting the navigation room.

Lucky Dearly

this is a pretty cool hack. just wondering if it's compatible with the Fusion randomizer?