News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] [ITEMS] Editing Text

Started by ChainT, August 04, 2012, 07:37:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChainT

Meh..Another topic :P.. Sorry if this been asked already... checked everywhere couldint find a topic with this..

Wanted to ask if its possible to change the Beams names like for example..

''Power Beam = Crato Beam''
''Charge Beam = Shato Beam''
''Spazer Beam = Zap Beam''
''Plasma Beam = Glazon Beam''
''Ice Beam = Frost Beam''
''Wave Beam = Nato Beam''
''Hyper Beam = Boom Beam''
(If you notice i use alot of O's for it :P)

Those are examples... just wondering if its possible , cause it would be nice to have beam name's changed. Il accept any answers =) Thanks in advance.

MetroidMst

Very possible. Just need a hex editor.

Beam/Other things

Since my stuff in Fear is messed up from the original, you will need to find the original values for the text/color/spaces.

Some notes that may help

ChainT

Yeah i know i got a hex editor. So i find those values in the  editor when i open up the rom? then change names?

MetroidMst

Those are the locations where those particular items start. I haven't bothered to make a complete list of all the items locations yet. But once there you will see (Using Plasma in this instance.) "EF 28 EB 28 E0 28" and so on. The 28 is the palette and and other stuff that you need, so make sure you have it between every letter. The "EF" equals the letter "P" in this instance. The whole alphabet is sequential, so it shouldn't be to hard to figure out from there.

Remember to look for the spaces too, and make sure that "BEAM" lines up properly.

EDIT: It looks like "4E" is the empty space in between the words, and that "E0" equals "A." So then you know the rest, E1 will equal B and so on and so forth.

ChainT

Alrighty...so like i have to Put an E at start o-o?

Edit: Lol thanks 4 makeing it simple :P

ChainT

Ahh... Alright  7F BC C8 C8 C8 C8 C8 C8 .... this is confuseing me o-o.. is this what im suppose to edit :o?

MetroidMst

For Plasma Beam, the beginning should look like I posted above. "EF 28 EB 28 E0 28"

Those bytes right there make the "PLA" in Plasma. EF = P. EB = L. E0 = A. The 28 is required between them to make it look right.

ChainT

MetroidMst

Obviously, it is easiest to make a new name that matches the length of the original. "Collision Beam" does not fit in the space of "Wave Beam" very well. I believe there is some extra length you can use on the back end of the names, but I haven't looked into it, so I'm not entirely sure.

If you have a name the same length, all you do is edit the bytes for the letters and leave the rest alone. That simple.

ChainT

I try to stick to amount of letters of a word i change like ...  Strafe = Strate , and yeah i found the plasma beam :P

FullOfFail

Oh, and I havent messed with changing beam names myself, but I'd imagine you're going to have to open up Tile Layer Pro (or whatever GFX editor you prefer) and manually change the names for the status screen. It's easy, though.

ChainT

Really dun mind... if it messes up i just use my other other back-up xD...

|
Edit : I used up to 100 back ups... i do many mistakes.. well  this comes from smile not Hexing :P

MetroidMst

Quote from: FullOfFail on August 04, 2012, 08:10:58 AM
Oh, and I havent messed with changing beam names myself, but I'd imagine you're going to have to open up Tile Layer Pro (or whatever GFX editor you prefer) and manually change the names for the status screen. It's easy, though.
This. I forgot about this step, but it is required unless you get rid of the status screen or change it completely. But no hex involved, just finding the locations to redraw them.

ChainT

Quote from: MetroidMst on August 04, 2012, 08:14:10 AM
Quote from: FullOfFail on August 04, 2012, 08:10:58 AM
This. I forgot about this step, but it is required unless you get rid of the status screen or change it completely. But no hex involved, just finding the locations to redraw them.

...i never knew you can change the status screen o-o

Edit : Urgh its so hard i cant find the other one :x
EDIT 2 : Is there any possible way to change names without hexing x.x?

FullOfFail

Quote from: ChainT on August 04, 2012, 08:15:12 AM

EDIT 2 : Is there any possible way to change names without hexing x.x?

There's 2 steps. See, the Hex is to change the Message Boxes when you pick up the beam. And the other GFX tweak is for the Status Screen. So yes, you must do both.

MetroidMst

As FullOfFail said, you have to do both, which includes hex editing. It isn't hard at all, just takes getting used to. There is no current program out that allows you to change the name around and save it. You have to use the hex editor. Again, it isn't hard. Note down the whole alphabet, go to the locations and make sure that it is starting at the right digit for the letter, and change. That is it. It really is very simple.

ChainT

haha got it... named them all :D   hex wasnt that hard :P!

samus11able

Hi, I am new to Super Metroid Hacking, and I need to know how to edit the text in items. For example, how to edit the text of, "Gravity suit," and change it to, "Phazon Suit," and such. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. Sorry if this topic is misplaced...

MetroidMst

samus11able

I have seen this before, tried it, and failed.

MetroidMst

Then quite honestly you didn't do it right, or did not save the hex editor after doing it. This is a really simple process, you just change the bytes for different letters.

Maybe this will help make it more clear on what to do and what the alphabet is.

Really, you just change the two digits to get the letter you want, and save. I would suggest trying it on a clean ROM. Go to one of the locations, change some letters, test and collect the item to see if it worked. Another thing that crossed my mind is if you are only looking at the status screen. These are for collecting the item only, the status screen requires TLP or another tile editing program.

FullOfFail

You need to change the status-screen too, just a FYI. But that process is different, you need a graphics editor. Just open up the rom and scroll down until you see the pause menu green Samus, the names are there aswell. Pretty easy, just experiment.

Edit: Didn't notice MetroidMST mentioned that at first, but yeah.

snipereighteen

May I add, you can download a patch for a phazon suit in replace of gravity suit.
This also changes the suit palette, text and status text. It is useful for beginners.  :^_^:

X-tradyte

Quote from: snipereighteen on September 16, 2012, 01:44:31 PM
May I add, you can download a patch for a phazon suit in replace of gravity suit.
This also changes the suit palette, text and status text. It is useful for beginners.  :^_^:

This is true but what is also true is the amount of experience he would get if he did it himself too. I'm not trying to say he should, it would just be a huge help in doing it in the future if need be.