News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] [GFX] maximum GFX/color/table size

Started by A_red_monk_called_Key, July 19, 2012, 08:48:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A_red_monk_called_Key

does anybody know what the maximum GFX, color palette, and tile table sizes are? i don't know how the compressed data works so i have no idea how to max out the size.

Qactis

I'm pretty sure SMILE is smart enough to warn you if you're about to go over, I know this is definitely true on palettes. My usual not-exactly-sure answer :(

A_red_monk_called_Key

i wont be available to repoint if limit is reached.

Scyzer

the largest size for a palette is $201 bytes, but that would only happen if every single color was random and there were no patterns at all.
As for tables and tiles, I have no idea.

DSO

$47FF is the max for area graphics. Table I'm not sure. Might be $1FFF.

A_red_monk_called_Key

thank you Scyzer thank you DSO thank you JAM. these numbers will help, i'll try to get close or go over $1FFF on the table, now that i have an idea of how big it could be.

JAM

Quote from: Scyzer on July 19, 2012, 09:04:06 PM
the largest size for a palette is $201 bytes, but that would only happen if every single color was random and there were no patterns at all.
I'm sorry, but if we are talking about palette of 8 rows (like all tilesets have), then max is $103 (259) bytes. $100 bytes for all palettes (2 bytes per color) and 3 more bytes for compression operators. So, it's not $201.

Quote from: DSO on July 20, 2012, 10:31:19 AM
$47FF is the max for area graphics. Table I'm not sure. Might be $1FFF.
That's almost right, but you forgot about compression operators.
$4800 for graphics and $2000 is true for uncompressed form.
For compressed form, max is $4825 bytes for graphics and $2011 bytes for the tiletable.

Qactis

THE JAMP IS HERE!!!