News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] Hyperion (V1.1) -Release and Discussion Thread-

Started by silverpaw84, October 29, 2011, 03:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derakon

It would have been acceptable if the caterpillar had gone through, or if the spikes right next to the fake ones had also been fake, or if there'd been some other visual clue that there was something there. Lacking all three of those, though, it's just a cheap trick, especially since the spikes do so much damage and you have so little health at that point.

EDIT: finished, 1:32 with 17%. Never did get any of the shinespark items, but I got all of the E-tanks and I think 4 easter eggs, plus enough ammo to take out the boss without much difficulty. Doing the classic escape in reverse was interesting.

Probably my favorite part of the hack was in the room with booster charge, accessing the upper-right door. [spoiler]Because you keep your speed when landing from a jump, you can access this door with just the booster charge. On the floor below, run right-to-left, then jump and hold right (i.e. back in the direction you came from). You'll turn around, and when you land you'll still have the speed booster effect but you'll be going much more slowly. It's fairly simple from there to jump repeatedly and make it through the speed booster blocks[/spoiler]

Otherwise, this was competently put-together but not especially inspired, I felt. I only found two obvious flaws (going off the top of the screen in Bomb Torizo's room, and a weird tile along the bottom of the room immediately after the final boss), but the item hiding was a bit obtuse at times, and there's a profusion of rather pointless morphball tunnels that just make it take longer to get from place to place. I also would have liked to have access to the larger map.

danidub

Hyperion map online:

[spoiler]http://www.nordub.ca/Maps/Hyperion.png[/spoiler]