News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid Redesign: Axeil Edition ending Statistic features

Started by Drewseph, July 08, 2012, 05:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you could track ONE statistic to be shown during the Collection % screen which would you like to see.

Enemies Killed
9 (42.9%)
Shots Fired (includes bombs)
0 (0%)
Distance Traveled
6 (28.6%)
Damage Taken
3 (14.3%)
Doors Entered
2 (9.5%)
Energy Refills Collected
0 (0%)
I don't care about any of this
1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: July 15, 2012, 05:43:58 PM

Drewseph

For Axeil addition I was throwing around the idea of a way to make speed running the game interesting in some way.  so that for example a TAS of the game with the the fewest shots fired, or the least damage taken.

I know that this game is about exploration and speed running, but I figured a new fun challenge of knowing how well you did based on other statistics.

I don't want to do anything like accuracy, or damage ratios.  I want to stay away from making it anything like call of duty.

Fizzer

I've said enemies killed, though I'd prefer death count or map % to any of the ones other than that.

Quietus

While I haven't voted, since I didn't really like any of the options, the idea seems good.  Map coverage would be an idea, however, since it'd be interesting to see what the minimum would be, as well as the challenge of covering it all.

Drewseph

map coverage is not listed because scyzer already made a patch for that.  Times died isn't listed because that is useless for a TAS or save state abuse.

the reason I listed the ones in the poll are there because I tried to think of things I'd like to minimize during a speed run.

MATHGODpi

Drewseph

that would just be the same as adding the HP of all enemies killed

Quietus

I guess distance travelled would be the next option, with the logic being that the less distance travelled in total should equal the shorter / quicker run.

MetroidMst

Quote from: Quietus on July 08, 2012, 06:44:46 PM
I guess distance travelled would be the next option, with the logic being that the less distance travelled in total should equal the shorter / quicker run.
Along those lines though, shorter may not equal quicker, depending on if fighting a boss and getting an item takes more time than a longer route.

Qactis

Does it tally up the results and give a fitting title? :D

advancedpillow

The fact that this version of Redesign exists is most excellent.
I voted for enemies killed. But I like all the option, really. So whatever you decide on I'll be more than happy with.

MATHGODpi

Quote from: Drewseph on July 08, 2012, 06:42:03 PM
that would just be the same as adding the HP of all enemies killed
Well if the player wanted to interpret it differently... for example, killing a skree with a charged plasma-wave beam, obviously it's overkill but the counter could count the entire damage of the beam, not just the hp of the enemy.

personitis

If you're aiming to make something interesting out of Redesign speed running, I don't think enemies killed would be a good thing to track as most times, enemies are passed instead of fought. Though, depending on how much you farm enemies (since there are a bunch of places you can do this), it could work out differently, but the original point still stands.

Shots fired... eh, idk. Feels like doing so would be too much to track. In one person's viewpoint, this can be a number that barely touches the ten thousands given the size of the hack. In a TASer/speed runner's eyes, this could be near one thousand. Just estimates, but I still don't like the idea.

Distance traveled is a good one since a faster route is generally a shorter one. Also Mst:
Quote from: MetroidMst on July 08, 2012, 06:50:00 PM
Along those lines though, shorter may not equal quicker, depending on if fighting a boss and getting an item takes more time than a longer route.
Most likely the more time you spend on a boss, the more likely you may be moving around. I'm not sure how you would plan to track this number, but I think doing it by tile would be an astronomical number and by counting it via screen transition (every map tile you visit) would be more reasonable.

Doors entered would be a really good one and is my favorite. Again, a faster route would most likely mean less door transitions. However, this could add a major challenge and present a 'minimum door run' where the player is forced to do some crazy stuff to get the lowest count possible. This is not to say other stats couldn't do the same. I just think this one would be more fun. :wink:

Energy refills I feel would be too exploitable seeing as the player can go find somewhere to farm enemies.

I don't care about any of this. Well I don't care about you. :heheh:

I voted doors entered btw.

MetroidMst

My thought was more along the lines of number of scrolls traversed, therefor making a boss like Phantoon only 1 distance traveled. But Drew may have another distance traveled metric in mind.

Drewseph

Quote from: person701 on July 08, 2012, 10:06:17 PM
Energy refills I feel would be too exploitable seeing as the player can go find somewhere to farm enemies.

What I had in mind is that you are a loser for having a high number of refills.  I would not count energy tanks.  But I would count power stations.  basically a goal in this case would be a lower number. preferably 0

Again with shots fired, a goal would be the lowest number possible.

I like the doors stat too.  thanks for the honest feedback

Qactis

How would going for zero make your suitless norfair run possible?

Drewseph

Well the solution there would be don't go to norfair suitless.  Hells run is now optional in Axeil

FPzero

I can't believe this is still an actual thing!  I voted for distance traveled because that one best feels like it represents what Axeil's LP was all about.  He got lost and wandered to hell and back during the LP and it would certainly have been funny to know how far he'd traveled over the course of it.  For the bumbling explorer in all of us, distance traveled seems most appropriate.