News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

ERIS 2012

Started by Digital_Mantra, July 05, 2012, 09:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elminster

I've been doing a lot of stupid low% stuff lately. This is one of my favorite hacks, so I thought I'd give it a go. Ended with 17%.

https://www.twitch.tv/elminster45/v/102418880

Digital_Mantra

Maybe you'd enjoy this challenge I created. Low% is my favorite way to play games. It's like a hidden difficulty setting.
edit: just realized you replied to this already lol

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on February 23, 2015, 11:07:10 PM
Challenge: The Chozen One (Eris Lowest Possible %)
Objection: Get the Chozen Armor with 0 etanks, 4m/1s/5pb
[spoiler]This requires every upgrade except spazer.
0 etanks because none are necessary.
4 missiles required because of pre-spore eyedoors. (2 packs)
1 super because that's all you need.
5 powerbombs because of springball grey door. (2 packs, first pack is 4)[/spoiler]

Rules: No savestates. Console condition. [spoiler][/spoiler]

Digital_Mantra

Awesome run Elminster, I'll have to give this a go now that I know I can skip some more items!
You missed the fun of a tanked Kraid with no etanks though.

Elminster

I also missed the "fun" of Botwoon with no etanks.

I did have fun resetting for a 2% power bomb drop though, lol.

Digital_Mantra

Yeah these are some fresh sequence breaks. I guess the early super is what you needed that etank for.
Hectic ending, I hadn't even thought of a way outside of ice and grapple or hijump in the child room.
Also the % is changed in this and is based on collection all 100 items. There's a super worth 5 and a pb worth 4.
Crazy run, will watch again.

altoiddealer

You should probably try and get it on speedrun.com for Low % (?)

Nice route!  Enjoying this!

clicky link

Elminster

Although I did time it, I don't consider it a speedrun, more of a demonstration. If I put a run up there it will be a more practiced and polished one. :^_^:

danidub

Eris was my first detailed map.
As a tribute of this awesome game I made a new version with all the experience i've acquired since then.
I hope you'll like it.

Steel Sparkle

dewhi100

@danidub Where do you get the area names from?

danidub

Digital_Mantra

Looks awesome danidub!
Makes me want to play it again  :lol:

danidub

Thank you dMan.
You should play it again, you know it's a very good game.  :wink:

dewhi100

Dman this is crazy, you have a name for every ROOM! What attention to detail... The difficulty has dissuaded me every time I try to play but I'm going to have to give it another go.

Quietus

@danidub Since I happened to skim through it: I haven't seen DMan's original, but in keeping with the rest of the area names, I would imagine that number four under The Abyss should read Egg Chamber, not Egg Chambre?

danidub

Quote from: Quietus on July 07, 2017, 01:43:59 PM
@danidub Since I happened to skim through it: I haven't seen DMan's original, but in keeping with the rest of the area names, I would imagine that number four under The Abyss should read Egg Chamber, not Egg Chambre?
Ha! Quietus Good observation. Thank you, the map is updated.

Derakon

Is there a map of Eris 2012 that's like the gigantic 7.7-megapixel map with full terrain details that was made for Eris 2009? I think it'd look amazing as a poster, assuming of course that DMantra was willing to allow such a (personal and definitely noncommercial) use of his work.

Digital_Mantra

I never got around to making one for 2012, not sure why.

Edit: Spoke too soon! I guess I did and forgot. I'll post it soon!

does this work? https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4YAY1mLdizuRE9xeDNaUW1yaDA

*however*, most of this map is still just 2009 with the additional areas thrown in. So I guess I didn't finish this.

Derakon

Hm, yeah, the Space Jockey room is a bit glitched out, and the warehouse right before it looks a little odd. Still, thank you! Would you mind if I had a poster printed from this?

Digital_Mantra

They're not glitched, it's just the practical effects I used in layer 2 didn't translate well and scrolling bgs don't look great either.
Go for it man, if you don't mind or notice the lack of edited 2012 rooms in this. Cheers.

Derakon

Wonderful, thank you! As for incompleteness, the main thing I wanted was to be able to appreciate the complexity and aesthetics of the map in physical form. Perfect accuracy isn't the goal; I'm not trying to use this to guide my playthroughs.

Thanks again for the amazing hack!

still-dreaming-1

Could someone who has successfully patched and played this provide the expected md5s of the following files:
rom pre-patch
rom post-patch
IPS patch

Also, what emulators have you gotten the patched game to work with? Has anyone gotten this to work either on Snes9x GTK for Linux or Snes9x EX+ for Android?

Quietus

I can't really help with the emulator part of your question, but remember that this is one of the few hacks that requires a headered ROM rather than the usual unheadered ROM.

Blazingfury64

I have recently started getting into the hacking community, and I have to say, this hack is pretty hard. But i guess you can say it is a "fun" hard. By that I mean that it is fairer than most hacks I have played. You will  have to be experienced to play this. I did notice an  anomaly as I played the game= You can't open the map in the lab area. While it isn't major it was slightly annoying.
10/10 for sure.

Boomerang

Quote from: Blazingfury64 on November 08, 2018, 12:20:17 PM
I have recently started getting into the hacking community, and I have to say, this hack is pretty hard. But i guess you can say it is a "fun" hard. By that I mean that it is fairer than most hacks I have played. You will  have to be experienced to play this. I did notice an  anomaly as I played the game= You can't open the map in the lab area. While it isn't major it was slightly annoying.
10/10 for sure.

This is a quirk with the original game. The Ceres tileset doesn't allow you to open the map for whatever reason.