News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

ERIS 2012

Started by Digital_Mantra, July 05, 2012, 09:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ishtar

Same problem with the (JU) version

I tried this with zsnew and snes9x and both are not working.

Smiley

Also make sure your rom is headered. Then it should work.

Quietus

You need this ROM: Super Metroid (JU) [!]
The CRC32 should be: D63ED5F8
It needs to be headered: 3,073KB, not 3,072KB

Strokend

I thought these all ran on unheadered?

advancedpillow

Quote from: Strokend on March 28, 2016, 03:10:28 PM

They do. This one doesn't though.  :lol:

CaRmAgE

Quote from: Strokend on March 28, 2016, 03:10:28 PM

IIRC, all of DMantra's hacks require a headered ROM.

Thirteen1355

Sorry for bumping the party, but I wanted to ask a pretty serious question:
Is it possible to remove the header (using Snesstuff, or maybe another tool) from the hack, without corrupting/messing up the rom?

Or is there a version of Eris 2012 without a header? I've heard Eris 2009 didn't use one, and when I read through this thread, it seems the 2012 version once didn't have a header.
I want to check if I can add some other patches to the hack. Of course, all those patches only work on an unheadered rom...

DonnyDonovan

IIRC you can use SMILE to add or remove a header from a ROM and it's super easy to do.

Zero Dozer

I've played the game and finished it with 98% of the items at over seven hours.

While the game is quite hard, with damage being absurd until you get the Chozen Suit and skill demands from the game, it luckily is nowhere as abusing as, let's say, Cliffhanger, which had me giving up right at the first rooms. Eris is still a comfortable hack to play, with perfectly constructed scenery using only pallette modifications and the game's existing tiles, while meshing it all into a single map forming a labirynthine world for you to explore.

That said, Eris managed to satisfy me as a ROM hack and as a game in itself.

Derakon

I'd say the biggest remaining flaw in Eris 2012 is the Botwoon fight, which is ridiculously difficult. In the original version of the hack, you at least had access to Evasion for the fight, which made it more possible to dodge things, but in 2012 you don't. Combined with the high amount of damage Botwoon deals, the complete lack of safe zones, and Botwoon's high speed in the later parts of the fight, and the fight turns into a damage race that you're almost certainly going to lose. A simple potential fix would be to reduce the damage he deals, or reduce his health, so that the damage race is not excessively in his favor.

Otherwise, I mostly found the game to be hard but reasonable.

Zero Dozer

Quote from: Derakon on September 11, 2016, 11:18:51 AM
I'd say the biggest remaining flaw in Eris 2012 is the Botwoon fight, which is ridiculously difficult. In the original version of the hack, you at least had access to Evasion for the fight, which made it more possible to dodge things, but in 2012 you don't. Combined with the high amount of damage Botwoon deals, the complete lack of safe zones, and Botwoon's high speed in the later parts of the fight, and the fight turns into a damage race that you're almost certainly going to lose. A simple potential fix would be to reduce the damage he deals, or reduce his health, so that the damage race is not excessively in his favor.

Otherwise, I mostly found the game to be hard but reasonable.

I agree with you on that. The author also had the stupidity of putting this fight right after another boss fight. I had to use save states just to make sure I didn't have to fight Spore Spawn yet another time.

Foxhound3857

http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss348/Foxhound3857/SM%205.png

Could I get just a small hint as to where I'm supposed to go next? I've combed over every area I possibly could and cannot find the next major upgrade. I'm literally stumped. I've run into two rooms where I cannot go any further without Gravity or Spring Ball, and at least two areas requiring Wave Beam, none of which I've been able to find on my own. I just need a subtle hint to point me in the right direction.

I currently have:

9 E-Tanks
28 Missiles
16 Super Missiles
13 Power Bombs
Grappling Beam
Charge Beam
Ice Beam
Spazer Beam
Morph Ball
Bombs
Speed Booster
Hi-Jump Boots
Evasion
1 Artifact

A Dummy

Sounds like you got stumped at the same point I had trouble with.
You need to go to the upper-right area on the map if I remember right, there should be a secret area you didn't find yet.

Subtle hint: Save Point

Some important information for the room that wasn't obvious to me. (Spoiler in case you want to try to figure it out.)
[spoiler]In that room, there are multiple glowing things inside of glass domes, you have to kill these with Power Bombs to open the door that leads to the Spring Ball.[/spoiler]

Derakon

Something else to be aware of is one quirk of the Super Metroid "physics": being in water drastically slows down your deceleration in addition to your acceleration. So if you enter water at high speed, you'll actually retain that speed quite well.

Foxhound3857

Quote from: A Dummy on October 21, 2016, 03:29:14 AM
Sounds like you got stumped at the same point I had trouble with.
You need to go to the upper-right area on the map if I remember right, there should be a secret area you didn't find yet.

Subtle hint: Save Point

Some important information for the room that wasn't obvious to me. (Spoiler in case you want to try to figure it out.)
[spoiler]In that room, there are multiple glowing things inside of glass domes, you have to kill these with Power Bombs to open the door that leads to the Spring Ball.[/spoiler]

THAT WAS A....wow. I don't know if I should be raging because of excessively vague and obtusely hidden paths, or if I should be kicking myself for not being able to spot it on my own. Sheesh.

I got Spring Ball at least. With three areas to check now, at least one of them has to lead me to another upgrade.

And not even five minutes later, Wave Beam. Rolling now.

LiquidDreams

Just got Spazer Beam. My first attempt thorugh Eris was frustrating but now with the proper mindset this is becoming a real treat. One thing that made a real difference was getting grappling beam as early as possible, which is incredibly useful for underwater sections. I wish I was better at spotting the secrets, though.

So far this is a very unique hack. Some of the rooms have me going "ooh darn!" at the aesthetics. I haven't the slightest clue as to how you achieved some of these effects.

Also I have something of a request for the author: if you could record a "director's commentary" over a playthrough of Eris (played by yourself or someone else), I think it would be really interesting to watch.

Quietus

Quote from: LiquidDreams on October 22, 2016, 07:34:54 AMAlso I have something of a request for the author: if you could record a "director's commentary" over a playthrough of Eris (played by yourself or someone else), I think it would be really interesting to watch.
I'd also be interested in this. Eris already has incredible atmosphere and eye candy, and it'd be interesting to hear the thoughts behind some of it.

Foxhound3857

Finished. lol, that ending.

Clear time: 6:31
Collection rate: 84%

Will submit a review soon. I thoroughly enjoyed this one for its creativity and challenge.

Even with 14 E-Tanks, the final area was definitely the toughest. Also, did I miss something? Never found a single Reserve tank or Plasma Beam, or even Screw Attack.

CaRmAgE

Quote from: Foxhound3857 on October 22, 2016, 01:25:58 PM
Also, did I miss something? Never found a single Reserve tank

IIRC, there aren't any.

Quote from: Foxhound3857 on October 22, 2016, 01:25:58 PM
or Plasma Beam.

There's definitely a Plasma Beam, though.

[spoiler]After opening the artifact door, look for an elevator that leads back to the surface.  The Plasma Beam is in that lab somewhere (I forget where exactly, though)[/spoiler]

Derakon

Plasma Beam got moved in 2012 to somewhere between the artifact door and Ridley. It'll take some poking around to find it; are you sure you fully-explored all the rooms in that general vicinity?

Zero Dozer

Foxhound3857

Quote from: Derakon on October 22, 2016, 11:38:29 PM
Plasma Beam got moved in 2012 to somewhere between the artifact door and Ridley. It'll take some poking around to find it; are you sure you fully-explored all the rooms in that general vicinity?

I think so. I found all 14 E-Tanks, so I did look around.

LiquidDreams

Finally, I got the [spoiler]Chozen Armor[/spoiler]  :grin:

Steel Sparkle

Beat it. [spoiler]Even got the optional plasma beam.[/spoiler]
Time: 4:01
Items: 94%
Rating: 5/5

Im glad i revisited this. Excellent game D-man. I really hope you come out with more.

Hippopottymouth

Daang I'm bad lol, 9:10 IGT, 84% items. I really enjoyed it. There were a few parts where I struggled to find the next progression though. I completely forgot about a room that required spring ball. >_> Other than the mindless wandering I did I loved it!