News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid: Arrival [v1.11]

Started by Jiffy, March 16, 2016, 04:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derakon

Nice hack! Thanks for making it. :)

I found I had to use IBJing if I went to the underwater area straightaway instead of getting [spoiler]High-Jump Boots[/spoiler] first. You can get in and get some [spoiler]super missiles[/spoiler], but you can't jump high enough to get out again, hence the need for IBJing. I would recommend blocking the access to the underwater area with a setup that requires either IBJing or the item you need to get out again. That way players know that if they go that direction, they aren't going the intended way and may be setting themselves up for some tedium.

Otherwise, this was a nice, smoothly-playing game. I'm not especially thrilled by the Metroid 1 music (and using Mother Brain's music for the title screen was a little...concerning :D), but the level design, use of tiles, enemy difficulty, etc. were all great. In other words, the things that I didn't like stand out all the more for how good the rest of the hack was. Nice work!

Jiffy

Quote from: Derakon on August 21, 2016, 11:47:17 PM
I found I had to use IBJing if I went to the underwater area straightaway instead of getting [spoiler]High-Jump Boots[/spoiler] first. You can get in and get some [spoiler]super missiles[/spoiler], but you can't jump high enough to get out again, hence the need for IBJing. I would recommend blocking the access to the underwater area with a setup that requires either IBJing or the item you need to get out again. That way players know that if they go that direction, they aren't going the intended way and may be setting themselves up for some tedium.
Nice find. Since I want to keep it open, I think a platform will do well there. Especially because others were having problems there, even with High Jump.
Might I also point out that in a few weeks I want to release a version that is better for speed running. A few changes to rooms for speed purposes.

WestlakeMath

Great hack! I'm missing a few items. Is there a map available?

Thanks in advance.

LetsPlayNintendoITA

Quote from: WestlakeMath on December 01, 2020, 02:44:09 PM
Great hack! I'm missing a few items. Is there a map available?

Thanks in advance.
yes
[spoiler][/spoiler]
also wait the secret room is still there saying "No" as name of the item lol