News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

New Door Caps

Started by Zero One, June 27, 2012, 01:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero One

To kick things off, I don't have much to offer. I'm not a good graphics designer, I have no ASM skills (hence this thread), but anything I can do to help, I'll quite happily do. Now my hack has pretty much stagnated and I personally think its shit, so I want to give it a good redesign and something I would like for that is:

A) A new doorcap PLM, whose ASM is fully commented so I can look at it and learn from it. It should just react like a regular grey door, but it pulls it's graphics and it's palette from a place in the ROM (not the CRE), at your discretion. I plan to have multiple new doorcaps of different colours. Also, instructions on what to change to create another doorcap is a must.
B) A security key PLM that, again, pulls it's graphics and palette from somewhere in the ROM that isn't the CRE. Having the palettes read from the same place is probably a smart move. Also fully commented with instructions on what I need to change to create another key.

No graphics are necessary to accompany this. The doorcap is just going to be a regular looking doorcap with a different colour and the security key I can draw. I was told that setting the Hi and Lo of a PLM correctly results in it being able to remove certain doorcaps, hence this idea. The security key will remove a bunch of doorcaps because the doorcaps will all have the same index and the PLM will have the relevant index. I don't know how doors react, so if the new doorcaps flash when you grab the PLM by default, that's awesome. If you actually have to force it to flash when the PLM is picked up, then I'm not too bothered about that, but it will be greatly appreciated. I know that grey doorcaps flash when they're triggered, and since the new doors are pretty much a grey door copy, I assume they'd react the same way, but I don't know if doorcaps flash or disappear when a PLM is picked up with the right index. Thanks in advance and much thanks to Scyzer and PJBoy for trying to help me with this in the beginning.

Lunaria

Well you could configurate it so it loads palette from enemies loaded palette lines.

The problem is, you need to load the palette, and the SNES can only load so much on the same time. You have the standard area palette and then I believe you have the enemy palettes. (Not quite sure about how many of those you get) If you want more then I believe you're out of luck. Though, don't quote me on that, I'm no expert as on the exact numbers here, I just know there is a limit, and I'm pretty sure it's reached.

Zero One

Code (Taken from RAM Map) Select
Palletes: (note: This part is currently very unthorough)
0 (16 colors): Much of CRE. Grey doors
1 (16 colors): Also much of CRE, but with different lighting. Green doors
2 (16 colors): Red doors. That looks like it.
3 (16 colors): Blue doors. Might be it.
4 (16 colors): Don't see anything that uses this. Might only be certain tiles in certain tilesets, or enemies
5 (16 colors): A couple tiles.
6 (16 colors): Don't see anything that uses this. Might only be certain tiles in certain tilesets, or enemies
7 (16 colors): A couple tiles.
8 (16 colors): Enemy hurt pallete?
9 (16 colors): I think this is for enemies.
A (16 colors): Ditto
B (16 colors): Ditto
C (16 colors): Samus
D (16 colors): Most common sprites (item drops, smoke, explosions, bombs, power bombs, missiles, gates(wall part), water splashes, grapple beam)
E (16 colors): Samus's beam
F (16 colors): Unknown

Having a look into palette F might not be a bad thing for me to do. If that doesn't work, then I'll see if using palette D is an option.

JAM

Quote from: Zero One on July 08, 2012, 07:45:45 PM
Having a look into palette F might not be a bad thing for me to do. If that doesn't work, then I'll see if using palette D is an option.
Nope, palette row F is used for enemy #4.

DSO

Also, graphics from the tileset cannot use palettes for sprites, and vice versa. You only have the 8 palette lines for area graphics, unless this door cap is an enemy and therefore a sprite.

Lunaria

Zero one is not hacking super metroid anymore, just in case you guys did not know.  :colonrightv: