News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

SMILE JX [new poll]

Started by JAM, June 20, 2012, 08:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How to display the address in Level Data field in Pointers window?

In hex format (300000 means hex address 300000)
3 (33.3%)
In lunar format aka bank:address (hex address 300000 will be displayed as E08000)
6 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: June 20, 2014, 02:56:45 PM

knuckles

JAM

knuckles
No problem =)

GOOD NEWS *.1
I just understood how exactly ExLoROM format works. So, version 2.84 will have it's own expander which allows you to add more banks over Bank $FF. It will also modify the ROM header, so you can use the most data of Bank $00 (or Bank $100). No longer the Bank $00 should be the clone of Bank $80.

THE DATA YOU CAN'T USE IS LOCATED FROM $407FB0 TO $407FFF!

MetroidMst

Quote from: JAM on August 13, 2014, 07:59:24 PM
allows you to add more banks over Bank $FF.
Must. Resist. Urge. FEATURE CREEP

personitis

Ya hear that everyone? Fear delayed for another 20 years and thus more pain to the testers. Aside from Mst here, I can't possibly think of ever needing more space than what's already available. But hey, if we can, why not? :grin:

Smiley

With my data organization skills, I will possibly have need for more banks. Banks filled to the brim with inefficient and unused data :grin:

DSO

Quote from: MetroidMst on August 13, 2014, 08:03:34 PM
Must. Resist. Urge. FEATURE CREEP
This isn't feature creep, this was already part of the plan. Except it's less ExLorom and more SA-1 (Which also supports up to 8MB).

JAM

Quote from: person701 on August 13, 2014, 08:12:07 PM
Aside from Mst here, I can't possibly think of ever needing more space than what's already available. But hey, if we can, why not? :grin:
I'll give you a hint. Extra 4 Mb of space can be used for 100 (or 200) new tilesets, for example :grin:

Quietus

Or Digital Cube3, with 100x100 rooms. :oh:

Szandor

Quote from: Quietus on August 14, 2014, 07:32:40 PM

I think you mean 100x100x100 rooms :P. Now that would be CRAZY!

Quietus

I'd be most impressed by the dimension shift. :^_^:

RealRed

Uh... this one, I think, is actually a problem in all other versions of smile...
In the Add/Remove Enemies/PLMs window. If you add plms to a room with 0 enemies, smile will tell you that there's no use in changing a room's enemy count to 0. This is true! However; Smile proceeds to add an enemy after that.
This is infuriating, because this enemy isn't given a proper ID, and then it overwrites data for the following enemy information. Both the room you're editing and some other room in the game end up with erroneous data.

fortunately backups will restore any enemy data I had before, but this does make testing needlessly difficult. Not to mention, it's scary to think that the editor is changing things that I'm not telling it to.

JAM

Quote from: Szandor on August 14, 2014, 08:15:12 PM
Quote from: Quietus on August 14, 2014, 07:32:40 PM

I think you mean 100x100x100 rooms :P. Now that would be CRAZY!
Hold your horses... Although, you have a place for layouts of so many rooms, the room headers are still must be in Bank $8F (with a lot of other data in it). Max is 840 rooms with no extra states if repoint ANY OTHER THING outside (no one did it for now). As for the current progress, aim for 700 rooms.

So, maybe we'll see 9x9x9 rooms, which is also great. =)

Bloodsonic
Yeah, I know about that. I've fixed it partially. Completly will fix in v2.85. I'm pissed too, because the enemy number was modified by module outside of the PLM/Enemy +/- window after you close it. And simply making it giving no errors about 0 PLMs or 0 Enemies took about 10 hours.

Quote from: Quietus on August 14, 2014, 08:59:51 PM
I'd be most impressed by the dimension shift. :^_^:
In v2.84 you'll get the DNA shift instead. =)

crazyal02

I just want to say that all of this looks crazy awesome! I'm waiting on 2.84 since it uses the classic interface, and it seems like a waste of time to get used to 2.83 and then get used to 2.84 soon afterwards  :heheh:

It'd be neat if it could detect whether or not DC's Map Patch was installed and adjust the text editor accordingly.

JAM

crazyal02
About classic interface, sorry, but not now.
In v2.85 or v2.86 I'll change the interface.
Primary objective: fix all bugs.
Secondary objective: add new features.

And now the good news! I've fixed few bugs and make SMILE calculate the checksum of ExLoROM properly (for a single case right now). Even Scyzer can't do this. =) Took a lot of time...

crazyal02

Quote from: JAM on August 21, 2014, 11:02:30 PM
crazyal02
About classic interface, sorry, but not now.
In v2.85 or v2.86 I'll change the interface.
Primary objective: fix all bugs.
Secondary objective: add new features.

And now the good news! I've fixed few bugs and make SMILE calculate the checksum of ExLoROM properly (for a single case right now). Even Scyzer can't do this. =) Took a lot of time...
Well, now that I've actually tried the software out, the interface isn't actually too different from official SMILE. I have to say, this software is really cool!

Quietus

Quote from: JAM on August 21, 2014, 11:02:30 PMEven Scyzer can't do this.
Hey, people.  Do you hear that clanging sound?  Well, that was the gauntlet.  It has been thrown down. :^_^:

M1CR0H4CK3R

Quote from: Quietus on August 22, 2014, 04:07:57 AM
Hey, people.  Do you hear that clanging sound?  Well, that was the gauntlet.  It has been thrown down. :^_^:

Grimlock

WOW, things are getting serious in here!  :whoa:  :lol:

personitis

After the anger I've built up over my past few attempts at trying to finish a SM speedrun, that pic has put a smile on my face. Thank you.

Quietus

Thank god I didn't say that Samus was working her way down a long shaft, or beating off some space pirates. :whoa:

Cue endless innuendos... :^_^:

crazyal02

Quote from: M1CR0H4CK3R on August 22, 2014, 09:53:35 PM
Quote from: Quietus on August 22, 2014, 04:07:57 AM

[snip]
Get with the times man.

Scyzer

Even Scyzer can't do this. =) Took a lot of time...

Awww damn it's on!
But srs you should've got your normal checksum calculator working before moving onto ExLoROM :P

The ball is in your court JAMMY!!

RealRed

does smile RF necessarily compete with smile JX if smile JX is released and usable and smile RF isn't?

Quietus

Not really.  It's just some frindly ribbing, and all builds camaraderie. :^_^:

JAM

Quietus
Indeed. =)

Quote from: Scyzer on September 08, 2014, 04:09:23 AM
Even Scyzer can't do this. =) Took a lot of time...

Awww damn it's on!
But srs you should've got your normal checksum calculator working before moving onto ExLoROM :P

The ball is in your court JAMMY!!
I'll do, Sadi. =)

I think the best I can do right now is making this topic about the CheckSum calculation. Just because it's the mindfuck close to "++i + ++i"
(which can be 12, 13 or 14 (with i=5) depending on language).