News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Anyone interested in learning some ASM?

Started by wiiqwertyuiop, August 15, 2012, 07:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiiqwertyuiop

Me and a few other members of a IRC channel are hosting a ASM workshop on the IRC channel #workshop on CaffieNet. What is a ASM workshop you ask? Basically the hosts will be teaching ASM to whoever joins, simple!

The current schedule is here. All workshops will start at 10:00 AM GMT-5. The teachers will also be on at the end of each workshop for random help and questions. Also we will be logging the entire workshop so those of you who can't make it can review them.

The current hosts are:

Sind
Alcaro
HuFlungDu
MarioE
VitorVilela   
imamelia    
Ladida
wiiqwertyuiop

Feel free to contact me if you would like to be a teacher.

Logs:
Basic workshop
Intermediate workshop
Intermediate part 2
Advance workshop

Quote58

Is this ASM in general or does it have a focus on metroid?
I've finished BF/Sadi's ASM lessons from metconst, but I may drop by anyway.

wiiqwertyuiop

Well I'm going to try to make it more general ASM and not specific to one game, although there are a few lessons that are more focused on one game.

DSO

I'll probably show up in the interests of logging and can probably qualify as a teacher, as I've had experience working with most PPU regs and playing with the others. However, my knowledge is not complete and I'll likely learn some things from the advanced session.
Question though:
"UberASM, and a assembler (asar) are needed."

Aside from some different syntax, any reason I would need to use those programs instead of xkas for this?

X-tradyte

This might be stupid, but It's still a question, and I'm just wondering how people at a Super Mario World hacking site know Super Metroid ASM?

Is it just knowing the basics in any ASM code that they get by in or what?

Zero One

ASM is ASM; it doesn't change between games on the same system.

Quote58

The ASM differs depending on the proccessor. But since both super metroid and smw are on the SNES proccessor, it's not exactly the same, but very similar.

X-tradyte

Ah. That does straighten things out. Alright. I might show up but I'm not too content on it. I'm more a level designer than ASMer. I tried learning ASM before but never took the time to understand it. I know Hex and that's really all I want to know for the time being. Maybe when ASM is easier or something then I'll look into it more.

Thanks though for clearing that part up.

wiiqwertyuiop

Quote from: Zero One on August 17, 2012, 03:26:45 PM

This.

Also:

QuoteAside from some different syntax, any reason I would need to use those programs instead of xkas for this?

asar and xkas have the exact same syntax, the advantage is all these bugs are fixed and it is still being updated and is open to suggestions.

MathOnNapkins

What a mischievous thing to leave lying around... the power of SNES.... ASM.

wiiqwertyuiop

For those of you who haven't noticed the first ASM workshop is tomorrow (Sept. 1st)!

JAM

Thanks for your work! Don't sure about today, but I definitely want to see intermediate and advanced workshops.

Quote from: Zero One on August 17, 2012, 03:26:45 PM
All ASM operators are the same for all games. Different games are using different RAM maps. So you can't just find life/energy RAM value for one game and edit this value in another one to get result. But some things are the same for several games. For example, SM and SMW (and maybe other games) are using the same compression method. And some games made by RARE (at least Donkey Kong Country and Battlemaniacs) are using the same text coding meaning the text is easily readable (and editable) in hex editor.

wiiqwertyuiop

wiiqwertyuiop

Just a heads up, the next workshop is tomorrow!

wiiqwertyuiop

wiiqwertyuiop

Logs!

Seemed to be a good one, people said they learned a lot! Also due to time, another workshop will be held next week (intermediate workshop part 2) and the advance the week after. If you are confused look at the schedule again.

wiiqwertyuiop

JAM

It was interesting. Thanks for everything!

squishy_ichigo

Why don't you archive the logs in the first post?