News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Internet Freedom/Privacy Under Attack

Started by MATHGODpi, May 15, 2012, 11:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MATHGODpi

As feared, SOPA and PIPA were only the tip of the iceberg...

These RIAA and MPAA wackos... will the madness ever end? :FURY:

TPP: The secretive agreement that could criminalize your Internet use | OpenMedia.ca
[spoiler=videos]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00ina3cU_78#ws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkabsSG2LoQ#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzIulCYuywM#
[/spoiler]

Not to mention they are complete hypocrites:
[spoiler=video]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3gVsp_IrFg#ws
[/spoiler]

And have hijacked the government:
[spoiler=video]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD4GTfxnTRc#ws
[/spoiler]

The internet is doomed.

passarbye

what?
did you expect any less from our extremely corrupt government?

let's all just face it.
there's nothing we (the USA) can do unless the entire population stands up and starts giving a fuck.
there's just too many "sheep" that either don't know, or don't choose to believe the truth.

but as pessimistic as this post is, i do believe that when the shit hits the fan, there will be a resistance.
not that it will amount to much by then, but meh.
it is what it is.

my advice?
try to stay out of jail*, stay close to your allies, and stock up.
you can never be too prepared for anything.

*(wait that's right, they just throw us in FEMA concentration camps nowadays.)

good luck out there metconst.

Zhs2

Quote from: MATHGODpiThe internet is doomed.
Pffffffffffffffftahahhhaahhahahahhahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaha
Pfffffffffftahahahhahahahhhahahahaahahahaahahahahahahahaahhahahahhahah
Bwaaaaaaaaaaaahaahhahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhahahah

If it passes, you can bet there will be a physical revolt. Honestly, I think we're at the point where they do this just to rile us up. Our politicians are more stupid than corrupt if they think passing something that controls the internet is in the best interests of the country; people would be kept much more complacent and sheeplike if they had the internet to pass ALL the time!

(By the way, Maddox's take on these things is still extremely relevant. I hope it passes too just so we all have a reason to get off our asses and crack down on our politicians.)

MATHGODpi

Quote from: Zhs2 on May 16, 2012, 08:20:11 AM
Quote from: MATHGODpiThe internet is doomed.
Pffffffffffffffftahahhhaahhahahahhahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaha
Pfffffffffftahahahhahahahhhahahahaahahahaahahahahahahahaahhahahahhahah
Bwaaaaaaaaaaaahaahhahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhahahah

If it passes, you can bet there will be a physical revolt. Honestly, I think we're at the point where they do this just to rile us up. Our politicians are more stupid than corrupt if they think passing something that controls the internet is in the best interests of the country; people would be kept much more complacent and sheeplike if they had the internet to pass ALL the time!

(By the way, Maddox's take on these things is still extremely relevant. I hope it passes too just so we all have a reason to get off our asses and crack down on our politicians.)
Can't quite understand where you're coming from. All a big joke? Those tens of thousands of lawsuits launched against ordinary people, just for downloading a few songs? Joel Tenenbaum sued for hundreds of thousands? Jamie Rasset Thomas sued for over a million? All a big joke to you?

Clearly, the RIAA has weaseled its way into the government, and basically has complete control over it at this point. New spying, user disconnection, and website takedown legislation are in the process of being passed. Yes, it is all very funny. Perhaps even metconst will be targeted by Nintendo, citing copyright concerns. Will you be laughing then?

How exactly should people crack down on politicians? There was just a law passed that makes it illegal for anyone to protest near an elected official. Violators are arrested immediately. We've seen what happens in Greece when violent protests break out. Out come the riot shields, the tear gas, and the rubber bullets. Up next, drones in the sky to spy on us all!

Internet making people more sheeplike? I was basically a sheep before looking this stuff up online. The internet is a tool for allowing people to get around the mainstream propaganda, and get informed on what the government is really up to.

Gave that link a quick read... basically the guy is hooked on the idea of futility, basically saying that raising public awareness is pointless and people shouldn't do it. He then suggests that we shouldn't bother boycotting corporations that are too large, because it "wouldn't make a difference anyway". Well I for one find that line of thinking to be a bunch of crap. The only way to make any change in the world, is to become the change you want to see. It's all about doing your own part to maximize your own individual (albeit tiny) influence on the world. Your influence can, however, grow, if you get the word out to as many people as you possible, and some people begin to listen to you and follow your lead on certain issues.

Changing a facebook photo may not do much, but it's better than doing nothing. If every person who doesn't raise their voice on issues because they think it's futile - started raising their voice - then perhaps we'd see some real change. Yes, people can vote on election day for a party other than the Dems or the Pubs... and they can vote with their wallets by boycotting certain corporations. It's a numbers game. We aren't going to get anywhere by mocking people every time their efforts seem futile.

One other thing - that guy who wrote the stuff in that webpage really thinks that Sopa passing would wake up the masses? Now that's something I laugh at. There was once a time when the thought of getting groped by airport security would make people laugh... nowadays, it's commonplace and more or less openly accepted. It's all about desensitization... the government, over time, takes more of our freedoms away little by little... they passed the DMCA in 1998, and are passing this new stuff now... same concept.

People need someone in their lives that matter to them - a friend, a family member - to tap them on the shoulder and remind them of how bad they're getting screwed. That's the only approach that I believe would have a chance of working.

Zhs2

Quote from: MATHGODpiCan't quite understand where you're coming from. All a big joke? Those tens of thousands of lawsuits launched against ordinary people, just for downloading a few songs? Joel Tenenbaum sued for hundreds of thousands? Jamie Rasset Thomas sued for over a million? All a big joke to you?

Clearly, the RIAA has weaseled its way into the government, and basically has complete control over it at this point. New spying, user disconnection, and website takedown legislation are in the process of being passed. Yes, it is all very funny. Perhaps even metconst will be targeted by Nintendo, citing copyright concerns. Will you be laughing then?
They have money, yes. But if the government riles the people, will they have the power? Also, you'd think that Nintendo would have the power to take down Super Mario World Central about twenty times by now. We haven't even been around for half as long.

Quote from: MATHGODpiHow exactly should people crack down on politicians? There was just a law passed that makes it illegal for anyone to protest near an elected official. Violators are arrested immediately. We've seen what happens in Greece when violent protests break out. Out come the riot shields, the tear gas, and the rubber bullets. Up next, drones in the sky to spy on us all!
Damn, better get out my tinfoil hat.

Quote from: MATHGODpiInternet making people more sheeplike? I was basically a sheep before looking this stuff up online. The internet is a tool for allowing people to get around the mainstream propaganda, and get informed on what the government is really up to.
No, the internet makes it easier to share the information. It has never been less possible to be informed without the internet. However, the internet is also a place for people to while away their time, and many do so on a daily basis with or without this bullshit going on. Is this very site not an indication?

Quote from: MATHGODpiGave that link a quick read... basically the guy is hooked on the idea of futility, basically saying that raising public awareness is pointless and people shouldn't do it. He then suggests that we shouldn't bother boycotting corporations that are too large, because it "wouldn't make a difference anyway". Well I for one find that line of thinking to be a bunch of crap. The only way to make any change in the world, is to become the change you want to see. It's all about doing your own part to maximize your own individual (albeit tiny) influence on the world. Your influence can, however, grow, if you get the word out to as many people as you possible, and some people begin to listen to you and follow your lead on certain issues.

Changing a facebook photo may not do much, but it's better than doing nothing. If every person who doesn't raise their voice on issues because they think it's futile - started raising their voice - then perhaps we'd see some real change. Yes, people can vote on election day for a party other than the Dems or the Pubs... and they can vote with their wallets by boycotting certain corporations. It's a numbers game. We aren't going to get anywhere by mocking people every time their efforts seem futile.
Great job missing the point - your quick read didn't learn you shit. It's not public awareness that is the problem here, it's the fact that it must get worse before it gets better. How many people do YOU know that would take a personal risk to help dismantle the system that would create this bullshit? You think that our government cares about Facebook profiles and silly petitions? How about "Protest schemes that don't cost the participants any inconvenience, hardship or money [which] remain the most popular, despite their ineffectiveness."?

MATHGODpi

QuoteThey have money, yes. But if the government riles the people, will they have the power? Also, you'd think that Nintendo would have the power to take down Super Mario World Central about twenty times by now. We haven't even been around for half as long.
Sure, but you never know when these corporations are gonna decide to go apeshit with copyright trolling throughout the internet (even more so than they already have). They are clearly moving in that direction with all the new legislation and treaties being pushed through congress.

QuoteDamn, better get out my tinfoil hat.
Actually, this stuff is real.
[spoiler=Anti-protest law]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWWZGRYO1Sc[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Drones in the sky]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5P_x4cbJIw
The girl killed by Barack Obama - she never saw it coming[/spoiler]
[spoiler=TSA groping in airports]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxZJ0VoK9pU[/spoiler]

QuoteNo, the internet makes it easier to share the information. It has never been less possible to be informed without the internet. However, the internet is also a place for people to while away their time, and many do so on a daily basis with or without this bullshit going on. Is this very site not an indication?
Fair enough; it depends on which definition of "sheeplike" you are looking at. To me, the word means being willfully ignorant, and simply believing what is being fed by the mainstream media.

QuoteGreat job missing the point - your quick read didn't learn you shit. It's not public awareness that is the problem here, it's the fact that it must get worse before it gets better. How many people do YOU know that would take a personal risk to help dismantle the system that would create this bullshit? You think that our government cares about Facebook profiles and silly petitions? How about "Protest schemes that don't cost the participants any inconvenience, hardship or money [which] remain the most popular, despite their ineffectiveness."?
Here's my whole problem with that. The government's strategy is to pass a bunch of new laws giving them all kinds of new powers to obliterate civil liberties... but to prevent any kind of uprising, they refrain from using these new powers for a while. Likely, they'll put these powers to use once they have militarized the police, and by then, any civil uprising would be quashed, similar to the Nazi regime.

So while the author of that webpage thinks that Sopa being passed would have changed a damned thing about the masses being pissed off, it's more likely that the agitation wouldn't have truly started until the bill actually started to be enforced. (Even then, no guarantees. See the RIAA's suing spree... there was no public outcry over that, much less any physical uprising...)

Look at the NDAA for example. The power to indefinitely detain any citizen without trial. The bill was signed into law on new years eve, 2011. Doesn't mean that they immediately went and started locking up people. Their goal was to arm themselves with this power, so they can pull the trigger any time they so choose. That's why it's so dangerous. Same concept with SOPA, PIPA, CISPA, ACTA, TPP, on and on...

But to address your statement about ineffective protests... again, there are 2 things, I believe, that people can do without bringing harm upon themselves, to do their share to bring about change. First, they can vote for a 3rd party during the election. No Obama, no Romney. Second, (as the article pointed out) they can boycott corporations which support these dangerous laws.

The reason boycotts "seem" ineffective for the most part, is that not enough people participate in them. But that's where a free and open internet comes into play - it never has been more possible to educate people on what's going on, than it is now.

Antidote

I like how i can't open any of your spoilers >.>

MATHGODpi

Zhs2

Conspiracy city going on in here. It's true, the technology does exist and the laws have been written - however, if it was such a problem as you make it out to be, you'd see more than internet petitions and spreading the word so that people can know what they already think our government is like. Yet not anything like that is being done. Hmmm! This would be my definition of "sheep-like", our government being "controversial" and our politicians "corrupt", yet we haven't really done anything serious to fix it where the people and nobody but the people very clearly have the power to do so. Education is not action, my friend.

MATHGODpi

Quote from: Zhs2 on May 17, 2012, 05:51:19 PM
Conspiracy city going on in here. It's true, the technology does exist and the laws have been written - however, if it was such a problem as you make it out to be, you'd see more than internet petitions and spreading the word so that people can know what they already think our government is like. Yet not anything like that is being done. Hmmm! This would be my definition of "sheep-like", our government being "controversial" and our politicians "corrupt", yet we haven't really done anything serious to fix it where the people and nobody but the people very clearly have the power to do so. Education is not action, my friend.

I think you're grossly overestimating the portion of people who are actually aware of all this. How much coverage has CISPA got by the mainstream media? Basically none. What about the NDAA? Again, basically none. It's up to alternative media outlets, and the internet community, people like us, to get this info out. If a vast majority of people truly did know what was going on, I bet you'd see a lot more being done to hold politicians' feet to the fire.

And the other problem is the high cost of living. A lot of folks are so busy working 2 or 3 jobs to support their families and pay the bills, that they have no time/energy left over to even think about the world from a macro viewpoint.

ProjectXVIII

Quote from: MATHGODpi on May 16, 2012, 10:37:37 PM
Perhaps even metconst will be targeted by Nintendo, citing copyright concerns. Will you be laughing then?

Yeah, I will, actually, because I'll still be making hacks and chilling in IRC channels where they are distributed without Nintendo knowing.

A_red_monk_called_Key

as long as our hacks do not divert sales from nintendo they will continue not giving a shit about us.

MATHGODpi

Quote from: A_red_monk_called_Key on May 18, 2012, 06:52:33 AM
as long as our hacks do not divert sales from nintendo they will continue not giving a shit about us.

Oh, one can hope... but who is to say these corporations won't continue on their crusade of making copyright infringement out to be a heinous crime... thereby shutting down sites like these to coincide with their twisted ideologies...

Malpercio

Quote from: MATHGODpi on May 18, 2012, 04:52:58 PM
Quote from: A_red_monk_called_Key on May 18, 2012, 06:52:33 AM

Oh, one can hope... but who is to say these corporations won't continue on their crusade of making copyright infringement out to be a heinous crime... thereby shutting down sites like these to coincide with their twisted ideologies...
1) Not every corporation ever does this.
2) QFT.
Quote from: ProjectXVIII on May 17, 2012, 06:15:10 PM
Yeah, I will, actually, because I'll still be making hacks and chilling in IRC channels where they are distributed without Nintendo knowing.

A_red_monk_called_Key

Copyright infringement is a joke. there are many ways around it, you see it every day. Like artist copyrighting a painting, then some coffee cup company can take that painting and put it on a cup a sell it with no copyright infringement done on the artist work because it was changed with the curve of the cup. Stuff like this is why we have nothing to worry about.

not only that the internet belongs to everybody not the government. when the government thinks it has control, how long before hackers prove them wrong.

passarbye

Quote from: A_red_monk_called_Key on May 18, 2012, 07:13:06 PM
Copyright infringement is a joke. there are many ways around it, you see it every day. Like artist copyrighting a painting, then some coffee cup company can take that painting and put it on a cup a sell it with no copyright infringement done on the artist work because it was changed with the curve of the cup. Stuff like this is why we have nothing to worry about.

not only that the internet belongs to everybody not the government. when the government thinks it has control, how long before hackers prove them wrong.
i'll agree with you for the most part, but if the government controls all the ISP companies and shuts everything down, then there won't be any more "high-speed internet".
you'll have to go WAY back to connecting with a fucking phone.

Zhs2

Quote from: passarbyewhen the government controls all the ISP companies
It will never happen. These are private business owners you're talking about. It's more like they would be paying the politicians to support x or y because they have the money - just like the MPAA and RIAA have the money to pay for lobbying for SOPA and CISPA and all that shit.

passarbye

Quote from: Zhs2 on May 18, 2012, 09:20:21 PM
It will never happen. These are private business owners you're talking about. It's more like they would be paying the politicians to support x or y because they have the money - just like the MPAA and RIAA have the money to pay for lobbying for SOPA and CISPA and all that shit.
true, i never said it would happen though.

JAM

It's a really bad trend I see.
By the way, communism already came in China. In the middle of the March. I mean, since 16th March (correct me if I wrong) all internet users in China must use real neams instaed of nicks in the internet, or they'll get ban. Imagine that you must enter "JackJohnson" everywhere in the internet instead of "Serial killer", for example. Yeah, that sounds as a bad joke, but I'm not kidding.

MATHGODpi

At the end of the day, if you can police internet users and ISPs, you essentially control the internet. What is the internet without its users? Nothing.

Malpercio

Mr K

I'm intrigued to see whats going to happen in the near future with all this stuff going on. For anybody who hasn't seen it here is a video from 04210. There are a lot of interesting videos on this channel Anonymous - Message to the American People

MATHGODpi

Quote from: Zhs2 on May 18, 2012, 09:20:21 PM
Big surprise, ISPs are siding WITH the government.

http://openmedia.ca/blog/big-telecom-companies-and-government-officials-held-secret-online-spying-c-30-forum

Quote from: Malpercio on May 22, 2012, 04:59:57 AM
So, they'll control nothing?
okay.
Read again. They'll control internet users, which is essentially the same as controlling the internet.