News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] Blackout v1.04

Started by JAM, March 31, 2012, 10:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JAM

Version 1.04 is out. Little change, actually.
Now Mother Brain room is blacked out correctly. You can see only after getting Hyper Beam. Thanks to Grime for Project palette doc.

I have another idea. Please, tell me what do you think. How about creating Normal version? All areas will be blacked out (but differently) and all enemies and bosses will be completly visible. It's more easy to a navigate than in current version.

Also, what to do with escape? Leave room flashing as it is or made it blacking out? Perhaps, make escape visible in Normal version and dark in Hard version? I'm not talking about Expert, because whole world will be blacked out.

Silver Skree
Thank you for playing. I've added you to the Hall of Fame.

A_red_monk_called_Key

could the enemies fade to black once on screen. that way you kind of have an idea were they are.

DonnyDonovan

I'd play a normal version for sure.

Quietus

For your viewing pleasure, I present Blackout v1.04 100% by me in 1:19, with only 358 rerecords (loading of save states for those that don't know).  Happy viewing, campers! :cool:

JAM

Quote from: A_red_monk_called_Key on June 16, 2012, 07:28:31 PM
could the enemies fade to black once on screen. that way you kind of have an idea were they are.
You gave me idea of easy version. You and Donkey Kong Country to be honest, level Blackout Basement. Make the light flash every second. You'll see everything half of time and switch may off in a few moments before landing on platform. I know how to make this code, but currently have no idea what hijack point to use.

Quote from: DonnyDonovan on June 19, 2012, 09:17:48 PM
I'd play a normal version for sure.
Then I'll make it. And there'll be Normal, Hard, Expert and possibly Easy versions.

Quote from: Quietus on June 21, 2012, 08:35:08 PM
For your viewing pleasure, I present Blackout v1.04 100% by me in 1:19, with only 358 rerecords (loading of save states for those that don't know).  Happy viewing, campers! :cool:
Yes! You're my hero =) I've included you to the Hall of Fame. I'll gladly look at this one. Can you tell me, how much takes you did to get this item?

My result is 25.

Quietus

About three. :cool:

I don't use the plant on the floor as a guide.  I do a midair spark higher up, and I used a frozen crab as a marker.

Here's a pic:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
In order:
1, I freeze the crab under the platform at A
2, I run to B
3, I short charge to C
4, I jump on the platform with the crab, then do a small jump, and spark toward D

MATHGODpi

Ran through v1.04 with a few dozen savestate loads...

edit - nevermind, see below for better result and full walkthrough

passarbye

okay, so i'll finally pick this one up and play it.

review/ stats are to come later.

JAM

Quietus
Wow, I didn't actually tried that.
I've used the room to the right (with green gate) to speedup. And the most harder part was to find starting position. In original game there is a seaweed at starting position, but now you can see only it's shadow in front of Samus. That's why 25 tries =)

MATHGODpi
Thanks for the run, I'll check it out!

MATHGODpi

Quote from: JAM on June 29, 2012, 11:18:17 PM

MATHGODpi
Thanks for the run, I'll check it out!
didnt record the run itself... only the ending

I hope to record a run of under 1 hour when i have a chance

edit - As promised...

Super Metroid Blackout in 00:59

devonodev

So I downloaded this hack the other day, Im really enjoying it.

I just beat Kraid, and got the Varia Suit. I like how some rooms have small amounts of light, its like being able to take a breath before plunging back into the darkness.
The hardest rooms for me so far would be the Ceres escape, Crateria shaft, and that small climb just after getting Bombs.
But Ceres. That damn shaft just had to keep moving side to side. ._.

I also thought for a moment that Kraid would be completely blacked out. I started freaking out then.

I'll beat this one day. It will take me many save states, but I will.
JAM, you've done it again.

UPDATE: I have my gravity suit, and Im standing in the unshattered Maridia tube, which is where I shall remain for now.
Im still enjoying it, but I feel the xray scope makes it too easy. Which by easy, I mean a little less insane. I feel like I have to use it, as its there, but I feel bad doing so. Its the same feeling I get using savestates. I spent most of Wrecked Ship with xray equipped, using it every 5 seconds.

devonodev

UPDATED UPDATE not really needing new post but oh well:
I know I'm late to the party, but Mission Complete!  :^_^:

I thought this was great fun, but I still stand by what I said in my earlier post about the hardest sections being Ceres escape, Crateria shaft, and that small climb just after getting Bombs. I would probably say different if I was going for 100% though.
I also thought the final escape should be alot more dark. If the player's good enough to beat MB, surely the challenge of escaping in the dark isn't too much for them.

Twas fun though, and you mightn't even care about this hack anymore anyway.

Quietus

In my 100%, the Crateria shaft was still the worst part.

JAM

Quote from: devonodev on September 28, 2012, 03:35:17 AM
UPDATED UPDATE not really needing new post but oh well:
I know I'm late to the party, but Mission Complete!  :^_^:
Congratulations =)
You're expert of Super Metroid! =)
It's never too late. Even I haven't finished this hack yet.

I thought this was great fun, but I still stand by what I said in my earlier post about the hardest sections being Ceres escape, Crateria shaft, and that small climb just after getting Bombs. I would probably say different if I was going for 100% though.
This is fun of how some regular cites that aren't that hard becaming extremly hard if you just turn the lights off =)

I also thought the final escape should be alot more dark. If the player's good enough to beat MB, surely the challenge of escaping in the dark isn't too much for them.

Twas fun though, and you mightn't even care about this hack anymore anyway.
Well, I care actually. Still planned 1.05 as Dark Escape version for current difficulty and 2 new difficulties: Normal (you can see the enemies) and Expert (no more glows, minimap and visible bosses!).

Quote from: Quietus on September 28, 2012, 05:36:59 AM
In my 100%, the Crateria shaft was still the worst part.
Then I guess I should make that room dark like that in Metroid 1 remake =) And make the platforms crumble like in Zero Mission =) The real chellenge starts after Mother Brain =))))))