News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] Moving Samus's ship, and moving samus [SOLVED-ish]

Started by Corruptor, March 31, 2012, 10:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corruptor

Now, in my hack, I want to move samus's ship so I can place more tiles in the first room without tiles above the ship so it seems unrealistic, however, I've taken a look at the documents, and videos, and the engine works (although I may have missed it, so I'm sorry if I did), and I couldn't find any guide for it anywhere. I took a look at one of Shadow's walk through's about save station's, and moving them, but he said that moving samus's ship is tedious work and can screw up the game if you don't do it right. I also would like to know how to move Samus, so she will start on the ship. I'm also no good with hex editing, and I've taken look at guides, and they seem to be giving me position's on the hex that don't seem to exist, like when I check the page that tells you where to find the data point that edit's Samus's physics in game.
EDIT: I'm good with hexing now. THATS AWESOME.

Mon732

I can't help you with moving samus' ship, sorry.

Quote from: CorruptorI also would like to know how to move Samus, so she will start on the ship.
I believe there is a check box in smile that hides the intro and starts samus at her ship. It's in Edit > Special > Game Behaviour. Is this any good?

Quote from: Corruptorthey seem to be giving me position's on the hex that don't seem to exist
Bear in mind that some address' are in SNES format and some are in PC format. For example 8F625 is a PC address and it's SNES form is 91F625.
91 is the bank that the data is in. F625 is the offset.
I use lunar address to convert between them.

EDIT: Fixed the second quote.

Corruptor

Quote from: Mon732 on March 31, 2012, 11:13:32 AM
I can't help you with moving samus' ship, sorry.

Quote from: CorruptorI also would like to know how to move Samus, so she will start on the ship.
I believe there is a check box in smile that hides the intro and starts samus at her ship. It's in Edit > Special > Game Behaviour. Is this any good?

Bear in mind that some address' are in SNES format and some are in PC format. For example 8F625 is a PC address and it's SNES form is 91F625.
91 is the bank that the data is in. F625 is the offset.
I use lunar address to convert between them.
Stinks that you can't help me with moving her ship, and, your "check the box idea," I've already done that, and I'm not a total newb at hacking anymore, but I still have A LOT to learn. Also, this, Lunar address thing has me confuzzled...
EDIT: I forgot to add that, when you save in the ship and then restart your game, she starts where the ship was orginally.
LOL EDIT2: thanks for your help though.

Mon732

Quote from: CorruptorStinks that you can't help me with moving her ship
By that I meant I haven't the foggiest how to do it. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Quote from: CorruptorAlso, this, Lunar address thing has me confuzzled...
Assuming you mean the program, simply download then run it.
Then you need to click on the LoROM - PC     80:8000 - FF:FFFF option as that is the SNES format that Super Metroid uses.
After that you either type or paste the address you want to convert into the relevent text box.
The converted address will appear in the other text box.

MetroidMst

I moved the ship slightly off center and have suffered no consequences from it as of yet. (3 and half years in.) Basically, I moved both enemy parts of the ship where I wanted them, and made sure the slope tiles were in the correct position for the ship. Other than that, just make sure your save station is set up properly. I have not had any problems.

The best thing to try is mess around with it for a bit in a clean ROM and see if anything screws up, and if all is good, repeat the process in your hack.

Corruptor

Quote from: MetroidMst on March 31, 2012, 12:17:12 PM
I moved the ship slightly off center and have suffered no consequences from it as of yet. (3 and half years in.) Basically, I moved both enemy parts of the ship where I wanted them, and made sure the slope tiles were in the correct position for the ship. Other than that, just make sure your save station is set up properly. I have not had any problems.

The best thing to try is mess around with it for a bit in a clean ROM and see if anything screws up, and if all is good, repeat the process in your hack.
Yes, I suppose it doesn't matter where I put the ship, becuase I move it, and It's fine, I just need to know how to move samus to start in the game on the ship, becuase she starts where the ship was previously, anyone tell me where to find the start for samus (or whatever)?

Smiley

Edit -> Area Load Stations -> Index 00 in Crateria

Change the values there to change where Samus appears.

Quietus

For calculating the correct position, check 2.14 of the Moonedit FAQ.

JAM

Actually, you can move your ship without skipping Ceres. All you need to do is alter Area Load Station 12 of Crateria and make Area Load Station have the same values as 00. More info in this topic.
http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,1373.msg16652.html#msg16652

Corruptor

Quote from: JAM on March 31, 2012, 06:58:35 PM
Actually, you can move your ship without skipping Ceres. All you need to do is alter Area Load Station 12 of Crateria and make Area Load Station have the same values as 00. More info in this topic.
http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,1373.msg16652.html#msg16652
Thanks JAM, should've checked this earlier, and I tinkered with it, as I didn't fully understand the post you directed me too, and I've finally got Samus' start in the first room correctly done! Thank you! I should've just gotten onto this more

Corruptor

I'm having problems again, I moved the entrance to a save room, and I'm starting in the wrong room from the save station room I used, and the room is all glitched up. I don't know how to make it so it uses the new save room, which is the same room, I just moved the entrance to it, and I start where the save room previously was if I save in that save station.

JAM

Looks like, you've affected the door used to load the game and this is result.

The answer and solution are already there:
http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,1373.msg16734.html#msg16734

You can use the same door as earlier.

Or I may be wrong. Post screenshots of the save room and room that leading to that room. Maybe it's just door position messed up.

Corruptor

My problem is in the red brinstar....now it's more like purple, you could probably find more info with the screen's I've already posted on my hack thread.
http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,1975.100.html

JAM

Next, if save room have different position at the map you'll need to move Save station icon.

Then the answer is in this post
All problems with save station are described there.

To fix problem number 1:
Change the door that will lead to the landing site save room. It's in a second field in Area Load Stations window. Just in case you forgot:
1. Open the room, connecting to the landing site save room
2. Place cursor on the door, leading to landing site save room and press "L"
3. Open pointers window and paste the value in spots $00 and $10 matching Low Byte of Save Station. It should be in button located under "Room ID" button.

You might did this already, but did it one more time to be sure you did everything right.

And to fix number 3, read the guide by Sadiztyk (in the post).