News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Video Games Don't Need a Government Warning Label

Started by DFPercush, March 29, 2012, 05:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DFPercush

For U.S. citizens:
H.R. 4204 would would ad a warning label on all video games rated E (for Everyone) and up that says there's a link between video games and aggressive behavior. You and I both know this just isn't the case. Video games have the best labeling system in the ESRB and another label isn't needed, especially one that's as false as this. Please click the link below and send a message to your elected official.

It only takes a few seconds, http://action.theeca.com/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=5716.

Zhs2

ahaaahhahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahaahahhahaahha
haahahahahhhahahhahahahahhhahahahaahahahhahahaha
hahahahhaahahahahahahahasnnnrkahahahahahahahhahah

Wasn't this the statement politicians tried to push ten fucking years ago?

ProjectXVIII

Anybody with half a brain knows this isn't the case, why should anybody care whether this happens or not?

Quietus

Label every form of alcohol in this way, and point out that it does more damage to families, and leads to more violence, than anything else.  Then we'll talk. :stern:

passarbye

:confus:
why does this matter? i'll still buy games that look EXTREMELY FUCKING GORY.
none of this will stop anyone from buying any particular game besides rich little kids begging their mommies for that M rated game.
:lol:

snarfblam

I think all alcohol sold in the US has some kind of warning on it. Doesn't change anything about the way people view or use alcohol. Even if you believe video games cause violence, why would you expect warnings to be any more effective with video games?

Parabox

Because of the combinations of parents who didn't go along with all technological advancements, their children that do, and fear-mongering.

FullOfFail

The only way I can think of videogames causing aggression is from losing multiplayer battles and getting mad and being a sore-loser. But that could happen even on a NES game... Is that worth making a entire new warning for? No. Not really.

Lunaria

From what I have read, violent videogames actually help stressed people have a fallout for their emotions, which as far as I know, is a good thing. :/

Quietus

I've heard that too.  It's similar to boxing, which a number of young people take up as a means of releasing.

Mon732

As long as what you do in a video game stays in a video game then there is no problem.

Crashtour99

Quote from: Quietus on April 01, 2012, 08:45:44 AM
I've heard that too.  It's similar to boxing, which a number of young people take up as a means of releasing.
The only problem with this is that studies have shown how physical aggression to relieve anger or stress (like taking up boxing or punching a pillow) actually tends to make people more physically violent over time.  You're essentially training your brain that it's ok to hit when you're angry or stressed.  And we all know that's rarely acceptable. 

The nice thing about video games is that it provides an outlet, without the actual experience of violence, so you don't have that training effect.

DSO

[spoiler=Contents may not be suitable for all audiences!][/spoiler]

Zhs2

iHackers: Androids slated for Apple's 2013 product line

Quietus

Quote from: Crashtour99 on April 01, 2012, 06:47:13 PMstudies have shown how physical aggression to relieve anger or stress (like taking up boxing or punching a pillow) actually tends to make people more physically violent over time.
I've also seen reports detailing how it helps.  I also personally know somebody who was a little shit growing up, who took up boxing, and it completely turned his life round.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other, I guess. :neutral:

Antidote