News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid Advance

Started by FlamingCobra, February 15, 2012, 05:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeadSkullzJr

Did some thinking about what I can do with Green Brinstar. I realized that a simple export and import of the tiles from Super Metroid would make the hack seem boring and predictable. I also had to take into consideration that Samus is two blocks high rather than three. Her jumps are definitely different from Super Metroid obviously, so I did some redesigning with the layouts of each room and used a really nice tile set. I will at least hint and say that Green Brinstar is keeping in touch with Mother Nature  :wink:. I also have been thinking about a possible demo in the future to release, I still haven't figured out how to make an IPS patch quite yet, hopefully I will figure that out quickly, nevertheless progress is good so far.

Blade

Use Lunar IPS,
click on create IPS Patch and select the corresponding rom you edited.
Thats all

Good luck and have fun with your project^^

DeadSkullzJr

Quote from: Blade on July 15, 2017, 05:40:48 PM
Use Lunar IPS,
click on create IPS Patch and select the corresponding rom you edited.
Thats all

Good luck and have fun with your project^^
I completely forgot about that, doh I keep forgetting the important things, thank you! Also thanks for the support!

FelixWright

Ah yes, Zero Super Mission. I'm glad to see that someone has regained control on such an ambitious project. I like what's been done with the map, and am looking forward to updates as this gets further indevelopment. (The original SMA ROM was made in double helix and is much more likely to break. I highly recommend starting from scratch. It gives you more creative freedoms, anyway.)

DeadSkullzJr

I have already looked at the rom hack provided by the creator, no worries, DoubleHelix did not break the hack at all, everything is intact so far. I just had to clean up the poorly made rooms, and do some major changes to rooms that were either misplaced or added way to early in development of this hack. By the time I am finished with this project, everything should be working perfectly. I already tested what I have done so far with emulators on both my computer and my Apple device to see if it works good so far, in which I succeeded. This project will probably have some changes involved since I do not have the super coding abilities like Metaquarius (Love your work by the way man, keep up the great work) and a few other people. So please do not expect a walking Mother Brain and all that good stuff at least for now, if I am very lucky, MAYBE just maybe I can get some people to help me with this (This message is to everyone). I do however want Crocomire to get finished in terms of coding to test him out in Norfair since he was partially implemented in Zero Mission already, currently nobody has achieved this completely quite yet. The first version of this hack to be released will have all the same bosses present in Zero Mission maybe with Crocomire if someone is able to pull rabbits out of somewhere lol, but this could change depending on how much I change the hack (Don't want the hack to be the exact same as Super Metroid, gotta keep in interesting). I would love to go all out with this hack and just add the impossible but for now, I will take baby steps, learn along the way (I learned a small bit of Hex Editing already so I am doing good I think), and again if I am lucky, get some help later on with the bosses and what not. Thank you all for the support, wish me some luck!

P.S. I might post a picture of a Green Brinstar room, hopefully you guys will like it  :wink:.

DeadSkullzJr

Well I am posting this because why not, I haven't decided on a background to stick with but I have grown attached with this look.
This Green Brinstar room should look familiar to some of you :wink:.

Steel Sparkle

i think that looks really nice

MetroidRuins

Quote from: DeadSkullzJr on July 18, 2017, 06:22:31 AM
Well I am posting this because why not, I haven't decided on a background to stick with but I have grown attached with this look.
This Green Brinstar room should look familiar to some of you :wink:.

when do you plan to post an update with the ips patch?

OneOf99

There are no current plans for releasing a demo, since we are working on so many different areas (and none of which happen to be the beginning). You will probably have to wait until release to play this.  :nowai:

DeadSkullzJr

Quote from: MetroidRuins on August 05, 2017, 06:30:13 PM
Oh Ok...  :yay:
I stated already that there will be a demo released, I have what I want to demo to you guys it's just a matter of seeing how I want to start you guys and gals. Do not expect to explore every area of this hack since that would spoil too much of it, so I am locking it down to one area, Brinstar. You will be able to play Brinstar completely once I get what I need finished, I will not give anymore details until the demo is released. To answer anyone's questions though YES there WILL BE A DEMO :grin:. No specific release dates yet.

MetroidRuins

:grin: OK, that's good to hear, I was actually working on a Super Metroid Remake in MZM a while back, but I never finished it... I might resume making some time. :^_^:

DestroyedChozo

This project looks cool, could I help? I just finished fully custom made crateria tileset

Hackmi

Oooh! Reminds me of Project Zebes, if you need a custom/edited ZM samus sheet (it's darker etc) feel free to DM, I dunno if you can replace sprites in MAGE yet.

OneOf99

Quote from: Hackmi on November 05, 2017, 01:56:25 PM
Oooh! Reminds me of Project Zebes, if you need a custom/edited ZM samus sheet (it's darker etc) feel free to DM, I dunno if you can replace sprites in MAGE yet.

Sprites can be edited, but Samus gfx are just are bad as they are in ZM.

DestroyedChozo

You guys will need this more than me.

Phantoon \/

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k9mkkid6sjmtp4c/Phantoon.rar?dl=0

It's the Phantoon from my old Profile Picture but it works in MZM

John Vyttal Ray

Is this still under development? If it is, I think I could help a bit with spriting (some tiles, sprites for samus using grapple beam, x-ray visor or a death animation that fits for Super Metroid)

EDIT: That Green Brinstar are is good, but I think it would be better if you colored the rest of the tileset as green instead of brown=ish earth color. Because here it looks like earth with some vines in it, but in Super Metroid, it looked more like a "plant/organic" ground with vines in it.
Also, were you able to find a replacable Samus' orange Airship for the red gunship she uses in Zero Mission? I'm curious to know.

MetroidNerd#9001

I really like this idea! I think it'll be fun to play once it's done. I haven't checked the whole thread to see if this has already been discussed. How are you going to do Maridia? Are you going to use Chozodia and repurpose it? And will you make custom music for the area? Also, will you be adding bosses to the areas? I think it would be great to see some of the ZM bosses repurposed for Super Metroid. (You could use Mecha Ridley instead of Draygon for instance, the reverse of Super Zero Mission) I'm interested to see how this goes.

DeadSkullzJr

Quote from: John Vyttal Ray on December 09, 2017, 02:25:26 PM
Is this still under development? If it is, I think I could help a bit with spriting (some tiles, sprites for samus using grapple beam, x-ray visor or a death animation that fits for Super Metroid)

EDIT: That Green Brinstar are is good, but I think it would be better if you colored the rest of the tileset as green instead of brown=ish earth color. Because here it looks like earth with some vines in it, but in Super Metroid, it looked more like a "plant/organic" ground with vines in it.
Also, were you able to find a replacable Samus' orange Airship for the red gunship she uses in Zero Mission? I'm curious to know.
Yes it is still in development, also I tried that idea and it failed to work with what I wanted. Green brinstar in all green is kinda bland so I decided to try something different.

Quote from: MetroidNerd@9001 on December 10, 2017, 09:27:40 PM
I really like this idea! I think it'll be fun to play once it's done. I haven't checked the whole thread to see if this has already been discussed. How are you going to do Maridia? Are you going to use Chozodia and repurpose it? And will you make custom music for the area? Also, will you be adding bosses to the areas? I think it would be great to see some of the ZM bosses repurposed for Super Metroid. (You could use Mecha Ridley instead of Draygon for instance, the reverse of Super Zero Mission) I'm interested to see how this goes.
Well let's just say Maridia will be different, it's not close to being done yet since other areas are being done first. My team and I already have a set idea of how the bosses and what not will go, I hope to get a demo out soon to you guys.

John Vyttal Ray

Can I join the team? I'd like to help with spriting

Steel Sparkle

Good luck to you and your team DeadSkullz. will be looking forward to the demo if you do get one out :3

DeadSkullzJr

Alright everyone, I know I haven't been too active on the project recently, however I have decided to work on it again after some thinking and talking with the team. It was recommended that I do a full remake of Super Metroid, however I go a less faithful route like Metroid Samus Returns did. It would make sense as I doubt anyone is wanting to replay the same game they played in 1994 just on the GBA this time (even though Super Metroid is worth replaying over again, I still prefer the idea of something refreshing yet similar fashioned). A lot of the content/work that was already done will not go completely scrapped of course, a lot of the content already made/done will still be in the game, we just decided to change directions on how it will be done.

I understand you guys have no faith in this project anymore (at least from my side of things) as I haven't released any content yet or provided any updates, however I have learned from past mistakes and am willing to do the right thing this time. I WILL NOT confirm any demo releases and what not this time around as time itself is needed for this type of project. In order for anything to be good we need as much time as possible and of course the proper dedication/skills for this. I WILL update you guys when I can, I won't mess up like I did last time with that. I am not expecting open arms or even a thanks from anyone for what I am saying, but I do request that I have a second chance to make things right. Thank you all for reading this, I really hope I can go out with a bang this time on this project.

dewhi100

A re-imagining is way better than a 1:1 faithful replica. Have some fun with it!!

albert v.

I just finish playing this demo, all i get was the powe grip,long beam, missiles, and the Morph Ball :/ i wish i could get more Far, but i get stuck in norfair in a fake door :( i was getting excited about playing this! I can say this is something im gonna enjoy playing once is finished, i hope you can add some backgrounds from the actual Super Metroid, i think that will make this hack looks awesome, keep it up with this project please :)