News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid Advance

Started by FlamingCobra, February 15, 2012, 05:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

interdpth

Because 10 people will use it.

snarfblam

So... twice the user base of Editroid?

FlamingCobra

Quote from: interdpth on October 09, 2012, 01:08:34 PM
I need an update on this, FlamingCobra.

New DH release is soon D:

College = hard

Yes, I'm alive, and I haven't had any time for SMA. BUT I do have it on my Asus Republic of Gamers laptop. I zipped up all my SMA stuff from my desktop into an archive. So I have it with me. There are some very talented people on the AM2R forums (like Rundas45) who I would like to make tilesets. And there's also Kenji, who worked on FSMR, and at one time I was in frequent contact with him, but then his computer broke and I could only text him, and I got a new phone and I forgot to transfer his contact info, so I can't text him and I haven't heard anything from him at all. I hope he's ok.

By the way I started an AM2R port too. Before I got caught up doing other things that is.

samus11able

Sir, I like what you have done here. It is a pleasure to see someone do such thing. Wonderful!!!   :<3: :cheers:

FlamingCobra

I know you guys probably forgot about or gave up on this hack a long time ago, but I'm posting here to let you guys know WHY it's on hold.

There are five main reasons:
One. I don't have all the graphics/sprites/tilesets I need and no one is willing to make them, and I'm not talented enough to do it on my own.

Two. I need someone to write the code for the enemies that need to be imported into Metroid: Zero Mission. No one is willing to do it for me; everyone on Metroid Construction tells me "lrn2asm". Well I got news for you: I do not have time to learn ASM, nor do I really feel like it.

Three. I'm in college now, and college is taking up most of my time.

Four. Samus is three blocks tall in Super Metroid. Samus is two blocks tall in Metroid: Zero Mission, and that isn't going to change. So all of the Super Metroid rooms have to be scaled accordingly, and I'm worried that my interpretation isn't true enough to the original Super Metroid.

Five. Support. Everybody says "oh yeah this is a great idea I love what you're doing man keep it up." But nobody says "hey man want me to help you with this project?" Super metroid wasn't made by one person. Sure one person can make super metroid hacks or even zero mission hacks but a complete port of a game takes a team effort and nobody is willing to go the distance and help me.

Afterword: If people from Metroid: Fan Mission, Metroid Construction, or AM2R forums would lend me their talent and pitch in instead of cheering from the sidelines, I know we could get it done. You're all talented people, and you're all capable. Several of you are amazing pixel artists, and I know the rest of you can learn to use a level editor. interdpth is almost done with the room exporter/importer, and once that works, it'll become much easier for multiple people to contribute small bits to the project.

Crashtour99

Most of what I'm reading from that post is a bunch of whining about  how "no one wants to do stuff for me".  For one thing, there aren't many people that hack MZM or Fusion, so any help you might receive is going to be rather limited in that regard.  Something else that is hurting you, is this whole "do stuff for me" attitude.
QuoteWell I got news for you: I do not have time to learn ASM, nor do I really feel like it.
That right there shows a serious lack of initiative, and anyone that might have considered helping you out with coding is going to rethink it.

Here's some news for you:  Asking for help is one thing, but it's your project.  If you don't want to work on certain aspects of it, what makes you think others will?  Learn some humility.  If you need coding, start learning it (there are people that can help you out with that).  If you aren't a good pixel artist, at least try to make something and who knows, maybe someone will lend a hand and improve what you started drawing.  Crying about it isn't going to help your hack move forward, and it certainly won't win you any favors with people that might have helped you out if you had a better attitude.

Quietus

I would agree with part of what Shadow said above.  The main point is that there just aren't many people who hack these games, so knowledge is very limited.  There's also the fact that nothing major has been released to galvanise people, and almost no help documentation is available either, so interest has never been high.

Mon732

Quote from: Quietus on December 04, 2012, 08:02:26 AM
I would agree with part of what Shadow said above.
Do you mean Crashtour?

Quietus

Yeah, sorry Crashtour!  Multiple tabs. :blush:

Katelyn

Quote from: FlamingCobra on December 04, 2012, 04:18:28 AM
Well I got news for you: I do not have time to learn ASM, nor do I really feel like it.
If you don't have the time to sit down and learn something that is evidently important towards your hack, then you don't have time to complete the hack. Who is going to do the work for you and then, for some reason, don't have the time to complete the hack? They just wasted their time trying to help a lost cause.

If you want to get things done, you have to do it yourself. Nobody is going to make your hack for you.

Malpercio

And I thought I was the laziest fuck in #metconst.

Don't wanna learn ASM? I sure do, but after hearing that I wouldn't share whatever knowledge I gained.

Can't make custom tiles? I can't either, hell, I don't even trust myself to play with palettes. So, I make do with vanilla tilesets, and if I really needed new gfx, I'd at least make an attempt and then throw it out there to get torn apart by criticism, because I know it'll suck when I do.

Can't make a perfect 1:1 copy? oh no obviously we'll all hate it. If we wanted to play something exactly like Super Metroid, why not just fucking play Super Metroid?

Nobody is offering help? Guess what, we're members of Metroid Construction (or other forum as appropriate), not your personal servants. We're not required to help you. Ask and you may recieve, but don't expect that we will.

The only valid argument I saw in all of that was that you don't have enough time to do it, and oh fucking well. Hacking is a hobby. Not a job. You don't lose anything by not completing your hack by the end of the year, or the end of next, or whenever.

FlamingCobra

That was a rage post from last night. I wanted to learn ASM at one time... multiple times actually. But one time I took a look at it and I was just overwhelmed it didn't make sense at all, so I gave up on it. Then the next time I went looking for a website that teaches you ASM, and I got a really nasty computer virus. After that I just gave up on ASM.

QuoteThere's also the fact that nothing major has been released to galvanise people, and almost no help documentation is available either, so interest has never been high.
About that... I'm starting on a new hack. It won't look like much visually, but it's more of a proof of concept type thing. It's supposed to be an easy hack with not a lot to it, but I'm making it just to put something out there.

Katelyn

Quote from: FlamingCobra on December 04, 2012, 07:59:22 PM
About that... I'm starting on a new hack.
So...you complain that you don't have enough time to do ASM and then suddenly you're all, "hai guize, new hack tiem"?

Makes complete sense.

passarbye

Quote from: Katelyn on December 04, 2012, 08:05:38 PM
Quote from: FlamingCobra on December 04, 2012, 07:59:22 PM
About that... I'm starting on a new hack.
So...you complain that you don't have enough time to do ASM and then suddenly you're all, "hai guize, new hack tiem"?

Makes complete sense.
at least he's trying. even if it doesn't go anywhere, he still put some kind of effort into it.
(not that going in half-cocked is helping anything..)

FlamingCobra

ugh. fuck. having door trouble like a mother fucker. I had forgotten how annoying doors are. in SMA, I generally just left doors alone and resized rooms or whatever.
EDIT: You know what? Fuck it. Back to my Zero Suit Samus hack.
EDIT2: No goddammit! Nothing is going right today!

FlamingCobra

I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing this

passarbye

it might be too big. looks that way to me anyway.

troshia

Is the item select option gonna be there?

FlamingCobra

Quote from: troshia on December 12, 2012, 07:55:39 AM
Is the item select option gonna be there?
It already is.

Item select was a debug feature in Zero Mission, but it can be enabled with a patch. And I applied that patch before I started.

FlamingCobra

Yeh.
My shit looks good.

EDIT: Yo interdpth! How do I move that fat bitch up? And how do I move PRESS START down?
EDIT2: Or PJBoy

Quietus

The picture looks pretty good, but it seems to suffer from inconsistency.  I get that it's supposed to be leaning back slightly, or that you're looking up at it, but the bottom edge of the tops of the letters has nearly no white line across most letters, but then has a huge one across the 'D'.  Speaking of which, the white outline looks a little odd, in that it looks like it should either surround all letters or like you should have no outline at all.  Perhaps it's just because the white stands out so much.  I think on such a dark background that just having the letters with no outline would probably work.

FlamingCobra

I'm sure you guys know what this is.

Any thoughts? Comments? Note that this is just a mockup and none of this has been inserted into the actual game yet.

Benki

Quote from: FlamingCobra on February 25, 2013, 10:51:21 PM
[spoiler][/spoiler]
I'm sure you guys know what this is.

Any thoughts? Comments? Note that this is just a mockup and none of this has been inserted into the actual game yet.
It looks pretty attractive, But the palette should be a little more blue. And maybe make the red dashes in the tiles purple?

passarbye

as i said elsewhere, i love it.
SO STOP TEASING ME.

Quietus

It looks really nice, but you know I'm gonna want to short charge on that ledge, and Zero Mission usually says 'no'. :nope: