News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

UK MetConst get-together?

Started by Fizzer, February 03, 2012, 03:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fizzer

We've been talking about this a little bit on IRC, and I'm basically asking the few of you who live in the UK: If there were to be a MetConst meet-up in the UK, would you go?

FullOfFail

Zero One

I'm up for this. Durham seems to be a pretty central location (at least, as far as I am aware). I probably wouldn't be able to travel any further than South Shields if I had to. Though, South Shields is most likely better.

Fizzer

Durham and South Shields aren't far North from me, and that's where GF is too, so that seems like a pretty good area.

P.JBoy

Here be a map http://g.co/maps/ykua2

Fizzer

You have to zoom out away from Bristol to see us all :P

Edit: Now you don't.

Quietus

Probably not.  I'm just an unsociable beast. :heheh:

Though I may still stalk P.JBoy, since he's so close... :twisted:

Zhs2

>Unsociable beast
>Purported to have a wife

interdpth

Quote from: Zhs2 on February 04, 2012, 01:51:45 PM
>Unsociable beast

If put a ring on both hands, he could have two wifes!

P.JBoy

Quote from: Quietus on February 04, 2012, 12:56:08 PM
Probably not.  I'm just an unsociable beast. :heheh:

Though I may still stalk P.JBoy, since he's so close... :twisted:
Where 'bouts are you?

Quietus

Quote from: Zhs2 on February 04, 2012, 01:51:45 PM>Unsociable beast
Hehe.  My wife actually has a failry active social life.  It's just me that's the hermit. :heheh:

Quote from: P.JBoy on February 04, 2012, 01:56:42 PMWhere 'bouts are you?
Newbury. :^_^:

Mon732

Maybe, trouble is I don't drive and everyone on the map is quite far away.
I live here. http://g.co/maps/t4q7b

Lunaria

If I get a job and can afford the airline tickets I would come. :<

P.JBoy

Added you guys to the map Mon732 & Quietus

Mr K

Yeah i would probably turn up if anyone wanted me to.  :cool:

Fizzer

Based on the map as it is, it looks like we should go for somewhere central like Sheffield or Nottingham. These places aren't especially close to any one of us, but they're close to our average location.

Zero One

Ok, so this needs to become a thing again. With the summer holidays coming up? Yeah, we should do this, because we probably have the time now.

Mr K

I'm game

EDIT: just thought of something, What are we actually gonna do once we all meet up? O.o

MetroidMst

Drink top hole tea and discuss the weather like real chaps.

Zero One

Quote from: MetroidMst on June 01, 2012, 11:56:01 PM

This. Alt: Bring laptops and nerd out.

Fizzer

Quote from: Zero One on June 04, 2012, 05:08:14 PM
Quote from: MetroidMst on June 01, 2012, 11:56:01 PM

This. Alt: Bring laptops and nerd out.

Discuss thing's we'd discuss on #metconst anyway, play Metroid :P

Edit to avoid double post:

So let's say we're actually doing this this summer, and we're probably meeting somewhere that's central to us all like Sheffield or Nottingham (I'm in favour of Sheffield because I know some of it and there's a very good Chinese there :P). Everyone who might want to come post when you'll be able to make it so we can work out when everyone's available at the same time.

I'm at university for another week then I'm all freed up until October, with the exception of the 19th-21st of July and the 3rd-9th of August.

Zero One

I'm good right through until the last week of September or something. I would say that Durham would be a better place, mainly because so many of us live so close to it (and I have no fucking clue which buses go anywhere other than Durham because :effort:), but whatever, I'll still turn up!

Mr K

I don't really mind were we all meet up, I'm sure I will find my way there. Only thing I'm thinking is what time of day? Because time seriously gets a move on sometimes. It would cost me quite a lot of money on fuel to get all the way up there for just an hour or 2 then to return. I wish I owned a giant camper-van we could all stay in lol! We would have to think about the people coming and if they are going to be able to get home all right as I think certain transport like buses and trains stop running at different times. I would be able to take up to 4 people home if they lived quite close to the meeting area. I'm well up for a UK get together, As long as we all sort it out properly.

Fizzer

I'm going to throw July 28th out there. It's a Saturday in the summer, and several weeks away. If that's a bad day for anyone, it changes.

Durham seems really far North for the people down South. It's not a problem for me, but the Southerners should let everyone know what they think about it.

As for time, it depends how long it will take people to get there/back, and what method of transport they're using. Flibj and I will get there by train, it seems we can get there at any reasonable time in the morning, and we'd have to leave Durham at about 8, and Sheffield  or Nottingham at about 11 - I'm sure most people will have gone by these times anyway. People need to post their stuff :P