News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Best Super Metroid Boss

Started by TheOMEGAMETROID, July 19, 2012, 04:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who is the best boss in Super Metroid?

Torizo
0 (0%)
Spore Spawn
0 (0%)
Kraid
2 (8.7%)
Crocomire
0 (0%)
Phantoon
0 (0%)
Botwoon
2 (8.7%)
Draygon
5 (21.7%)
Gold Torizo
2 (8.7%)
Ridley
8 (34.8%)
Mother Brain
4 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 0

TheOMEGAMETROID

If you've played Super Metroid, then you have got to have a favorite boss. Out of the 10 bosses in Super Metroid, pick your favorite.

FullOfFail

Draygon. Just because he's always hard, assuming you don't cheap-shot him.

Quietus

I'd say Draygon too, because there's so much more flexibility in HOW you kick his arse, and plenty of space to do it.

passarbye

another draygon vote here.
botwoon is cool too, he just needed to be in a much bigger room i think.

squishy_ichigo

No Gold Torizo votes?

The edge of the room exploit aside, I think this boss offers the most unique fight in the game. He dodges missiles, catches supers, and has the biggest movepool of every boss in the game.  He's tough, flexible, and not an overused Metroid staple (ie. Ridley).

Draygoon is definitely cool as well. I remember the first time I fought him that I didn't grapple kill him, (in a hack where he was WAY early) and that was a epic fight.

iRundas

I agree with squishy, draygoon is stupid hard without grapple and golden torizo was drop the stick ridiculous.

Hands down, you all know Ridley is by far the toughest enemy on any Metroid. I for one still have trouble defeating him on Super Metroid today. Project base turned him to shit though but  it was still fun beam roasting his ass.

All bosses could be easy or hard depending on its surroundings. Take SporeSpawn from Super Zero Mission . I died like 5 times on the easy version just from it shaking so bad..

Charmander106

I voted Kraid. The reason is that of the comparison to his older counterpart in the original metroid, his size, and the way that they build up his fight. The other bosses are also really good but I went with Kraid instead.

zephyrtronium

Quietus

Quote from: iRundas on July 19, 2012, 09:10:35 PMI agree with squishy, draygoon is stupid hard without grapple
Draygon is all about understanding how he works.  When I fight him, the only damage I take is if I accidentally run into him, and the fight is usually less than thirty seconds long.  Mind you, I have played it a few times now... :O_o:

Parabox

Dragon is the best boss ever

Quietus

It's a little odd that Ridley is winning when it appears that most people think Dryagoon is the clear winner.

TheOMEGAMETROID

I voted Ridley. Why?

1. You fight him twice.
2. He's a fricken' giant space dragon!!!
3. I know his theme is overused in the game but I LOVE IT!

That's pretty much it but I support fans of Gold Torizo, Draygon, Botwoon, Mother Brain, Kraid and the other bosses. Metroid Fans
UNITE!!! LOL

Quote58

I voted ridley for mostly the same reasons that webber voted kraid.
Compared to the old ridley, this one is huge, more difficult, and looks way more awesome.

The fight itself is one of the most epic fights in metroid. The music, the atmosphere, the area leading to him. You know it's coming as you progress through LN, you know you're about to fight him, and yet you get in his room and the fight is just amazing. The quiet, peaceful room. You drop down and soon, you see only his eyes. Then, the fight begins, the acid rises, the music starts, the room is shaking. you're oldest foe, the one you fought at the beginning of the game, the reason you're even there. Simply epic. He also takes way more damadge than any other boss, save for MB of course but she's got the whole metroid thing in her fight. Not considering the games after it or even those before it, just in terms of SM, to me Ridley is easily the best boss in the game.

This is of course simply my opinion, and completely subjective, however, whether you think draygon is better or not, you must admit, he's a pretty badass enemy.

personitis

Kraid, Phatoon, Draygon, and Ridley. I've died to all of them even in the middle of 100% runs. <_< I have a running grudge with Draygon in any% runs (hence the title Draygon's Bitch), Ridley has always been a pain in the ass for no reason, and next to every speed runner hates the (non-) living existence of Phantoon.

Torizo is too easy, Spore Spawn is boring, Crocomire is pretty chill (I feel sorry for him sometimes as well :sad:), Botwoon is actually really fun, Gold Torizo is meh (exploit makes him wimpy otherwise he's pretty tough), and Mother Brain I've never really had strong feelings for.

For me, it's a tough choice between Kraid and Botwoon. I'll get back to this poll when I decide. :heheh: But in the end, I think Botwoon is pretty cool.

TheOMEGAMETROID

Quote from: person701 on July 21, 2012, 04:32:57 AM
I have a running grudge with Draygon in any% runs (hence the title Draygon's Bitch)

Oooohhh. Draygon's Bitch. That's where you got the name.

MetroidMst

I really have two options to vote. One, who is the funnest boss battle. Two, who is the most interesting boss. I went ahead and went with the funnest and voted Ridley. But if this were more about the story of the boss, Phantoon would win. He just has some properties to him that make him a completely mysterious being.

In the end though, Ridley is a fun fight, Phantoon is not so much.

Qactis

I would say any% is really the only time I would ever have a problem with Draygon. Any% would imply you only have 5 power bombs, and no grapple. I don't remember how me and my bro originally figured out the grapple trick, but I can say I beat him with brute force the first 5 or 10 times we played through the game. It wasn't until years down the line I discovered the power bombs removed his spit, and that makes him pretty simple to beat, unless of course you run out of power bombs lol.

Ultimately though, I'm going with Ridley. Kejardon spent the time to disassemble his AI, and it blows my mind. I find it especially interesting that his tail is a separate piece from his body. Ridley is that boss that is as hard as you make him. If you have all the equipment, he should go down without a problem, if you are doing any% or low%, he is hard af. What I enjoy so much about Ridley though, is that every time I fight him, I get better and better at fighting him. I usually set a standard for myself, to see how fast I can kill him and how few of hits I can take. Ever since I watched Smokey's any% run where he absolutely rapes Ridley for fun, I try to set the bar higher each time I fight him.

I would agree with MM that Phantoon is a way cool boss, interesting how his gfx are stored in set 5/6's tileset, and also that beating a boss changes the gfx set in the whole area and basically makes the whole wrecked ship come back online. I also think it's cool that he behaves like a ghost, and yet is some alien life form?