News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

omega legends

Started by auronlives69, January 30, 2012, 12:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

auronlives69

been working on this hack on and off for a while, still a long ways from completion,
heres a little something i made from project base's tiles/tileset/pallet
omega legends preview

Zero One

Ok, your level design looks pretty good. However, rooms full of spikes and grapple points do not make for a good hack. I highly recommend you create something challenging without resorting to spikes.

Also, the green suit does not look very pretty. I recommend changing it a little. Other than that, you've got what looks like a good hack on your way.

auronlives69

Zero One

They may be fun to do, but I can almost guarantee you that not one person would play your hack if it's just full of spikes. Granted, I'm only working my assumptions off that one room but really, you don't want to use spikes everywhere.

auronlives69

lol yeah spikes suck, the core of the game is actually like a bottomless pit with increasingly difficult mazes/enemies i'll post up a glimps of it as soon as its done uploading

squishy_ichigo

I'd like to mention, you may want to consider better visual clues as to places of interest. Speaking only for myself, I must say that the 'bomb every tile in the room' tiling that hackers use these days are not fun in the least. Leave some sort of indication that those tiles are different, or lead to interesting places. It's just good design.

Just my two cents.

auronlives69

true that, thats one of the main reason i will never play golden dawn again, that powerbomb thing was actually just a shortcut, i like to have alternate ways of getting to places

super nintendo hacker

spikes can make things challenging when they arent overused...otherwise they arent fun anymore and its either TOO easy to die or it gets boring
if you dont overuse spikes more people will play your hack because there is kinda i guess 'more variety'
same goes for grapples and i agree with putting just a bit more explanation on a bomb area or something secret like maybe a pipe block as a bomb block or something of that sort.

auronlives69

this ones for you buddy, MORE SPIKES!!! and a dash of water
omega legends preview

advancedpillow

Even though I actually like the dark suit and the darkness overall, quite alot, (especially since your design choices reflect to the location of the rooms--bottomless pit), I don't think I would play, or enjoy playing, your hack as it is right now. I hate to flog a dead horse, but I'm going to echo some of the statements others have mentioned about the spikes. The challenge of a room with grapple+spikes is definitely fun but when designed to be cheap ways to slow progress makes me lose interest in playing very quickly and permanently. Most times.

I liked the grapple challenges in the first video more than the second. I'm not saying remove them entirely, but they could be tweaked to give the player less chance of an annoying fall.

The thing I hate most of all are speedball-required items.  :FURY:  But feel free to ignore this complaint since it is the result of me basically being unable to perform a speedball.

Perhaps there is a way to make the green outline of Samus's black suit glow? I could see her actually using something like this when traversing a pitch-dark cavern.

super nintendo hacker

I was trying to help you make your hack successful but the more videos you make of more spikes the more posts you are making about how many spikes you have the more people will start thinking they are annoying and eventually youll give away pretty much the whole hack and spikes all over so people dont want to play it so you basically worked hard on something that you failed on...

Also if you try again try to make something TOTALLY different or you may suffer the same fate because people will remember 'oh he made that hack with spikes all over and it wasnt fun!!'

auronlives69

mabe i should rename it to spike legend :lol: well i actually haven't done a full test run of the game yet so i might need to tone down the difficulty if e-tank shortages become an issue, like i said the hack is nowhere near completion so i still got lots of time to mess around with the difficulties

advancedpillow

Quote from: super nintendo hacker on January 30, 2012, 01:53:31 PM
I was trying to help you make your hack successful but the more videos you make of more spikes the more posts you are making about how many spikes you have the more people will start thinking they are annoying and eventually youll give away pretty much the whole hack and spikes all over so people dont want to play it so you basically worked hard on something that you failed on...

Also if you try again try to make something TOTALLY different or you may suffer the same fate because people will remember 'oh he made that hack with spikes all over and it wasnt fun!!'

Ease up there, SMHacker. Some people truly do like these balls-hard types of hacks. In fact, I love watching TAS vids ripping them to shreds. So sure, the average, everyday gamer (like myself) may not fully appreciate this type of challenge, but surely some will. At least I think there must be some. I definitely don't support the idea that auronlives69 give up on this.

interdpth

Quote from: auronlives69 on January 30, 2012, 01:43:23 PM
this ones for you buddy, MORE SPIKES!!! and a dash of water
omega legends preview
Is Samus in some kind of lava suit? The colors hurt

super nintendo hacker

Quote from: advancedpillow on January 30, 2012, 02:06:55 PM
Quote from: super nintendo hacker on January 30, 2012, 01:53:31 PM

Ease up there, SMHacker. Some people truly do like these balls-hard types of hacks. In fact, I love watching TAS vids ripping them to shreds. So sure, the average, everyday gamer (like myself) may not fully appreciate this type of challenge, but surely some will. At least I think there must be some. I definitely don't support the idea that auronlives69 give up on this.
im not saying he should give up on the hack at all. im saying he should cut down spikes or atleast most people dont like spike spam im sure more would play it if you atleast removed 19% of the spikes

iRundas

On SABS the dot partical on samus shoulders make the center of each body part bighter/darker. (What ever you choose). the full suit of samus will act like the inside area of samus's pants; (dark yellow ofcorse) making the dot partical blend...

Take time on ur hacks and remember to back up ur rom. So far your hack looks good, keep it up.

auronlives69

due to popular demand i will eventually tone down the spikes, but do keep in mind that it is a hard hack and not for everyone, might consider working on an easy mode after im done with this one

Katelyn

Listen, darling, the quality of your hack right now? Not looking too good.

Your suit palette(s) are absolutely horrible. Suit palettes are NOT meant to look that way. You have to find one colour and build off of it. Take, for example, the original suits in the game. They aren't all "OHMAGODREDANDBLACK OOHOHHOHO," they take a colour that isn't painful to my eyesight, using some toning, and get a good palette. Look at the way it's set up, too. Some areas of the suit look better with a specific hue than others.

Spikes? Everywhere? Fuck no. I'm not sitting down with a hack that uses fake difficulty as a gimmick. Yes, fake difficulty. Spikes everywhere is not actual difficulty. Actual difficulty makes a game fun, makes you feel like you're learning and progressing as you go on, even if your death count is 100+. With fake difficulty, it's a shitty ass gimmick (spikes everywhere) that makes you absolutely pissed off and chuck your laptop/desktop/PSP/whatever out the window and watch it explode in a bunch of little pieces.

Your level design is fairly decent, better than the usual new-hacker. Of course, it still needs work, but at least you sort of know what you're doing with it. My major problem with it is that I can usually instantly tell what room you're in, had the game been vanilla (I don't pay attention to doors, either). Before you work on a room, delete everything in it. (And if you have no intention of repointing doors, which is albeit stupid but, you shouldn't delete those.)

Your "secret" items are also terribly hinted to and you basically need to bomb everywhere or cheat with SMILE. (See: bad item placement)

Sit down and think about this. Do you want a mediocre hack that people will only play to finish it, or do you want an enjoyable hack that people will like playing? Up to you.

begrimed

Not much I can say that hasn't already been touched on by others, except that you need to really work on your tiling. I see what look like random tiles stuck in some places that don't mesh together. Your first video of the blue spikey room is a mess, sorry. I like the concept, but the execution is a flop as it stands right now. The wall that the green sidehopper breaks down for Samus has NO SIDES. Why?

super nintendo hacker

Dontcha' mean the BLUE sidehopper?

Katelyn

Quote from: super nintendo hacker on January 30, 2012, 11:58:38 PM
Dontcha' mean the BLUE sidehopper?

Sweetie, I don't think it matters too much on the colour. It's more of an aqua colour, actually.

Alternatively, nobody cares.

Qactis

Botwoon fight is the one room that stands out the most to me it's like hey if you play this game you're going to be in situations where you cannot help but to be hurt, it's nigh impossible to not get beat up in that fight. But the same can be said about a lot of your rooms, such as the side-scrolling red brinstar room with the samus-eaters. When you design a SM hack you need to use the terrain, the bts, the enemies, all in ways that make the situations difficult, instead of throwing them in and making things hard because you need energy to progress.