News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Visual BASIC or Visual C++

Started by fuducker81, February 09, 2012, 10:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is Better Programming With?

Visual BASIC
1 (33.3%)
Visual C++
0 (0%)
Python
0 (0%)
Lua
2 (66.7%)
Javascript
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

fuducker81

Hello, fellow construction'ers. I have this idea for a virtual easy button, and I'm wondering which should I use?

zephyrtronium

1. Never imply that VB is a good idea or usable or not retarded. I will harm you.
2. What is a "virtual easy button"
3. Do you have any experience in any of these languages or programming at all

snarfblam

Quote from: zephyrtronium on February 10, 2012, 02:13:49 AM
1. Never imply that VB is a good idea or usable or not retarded. I will harm you.

VB6 has its quirks and limitation, but in its day it was also very practical. I don't think there is any honest criticism that you can make about VB.NET that doesn't apply to any "managed" language (C#, Java).

If you have no programming experience, VB.NET will probably be easier to pick up than C# or C++. You might even want to check out Microsoft Small Basic.

If you're looking for a retarded language, while C++ has its uses, it comes with a pretty hearty serving of derp. It's got this great feature where you get to maintain two files for each class because it was designed back in the 80's for one-pass compilers, yet somehow still manages to take a day to compile. I'm personally a fan of the cascading cryptic error messages that pop up sometimes because you forgot a semicolon five hundred lines away. (It gets even better when dealing with templates!) Not to mention you can't move two inches without bumping into undefined behavior (how big is an int?). But... YEAH! VB SUCKS!

Seriously, though, every language has it's place. It depends on what kind of programming you want to do.

Blarget2

Lua is fast and easy to learn and can be applied to almost any core language. With things like LOVE2d, making programs is pretty easy.