News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] Hyperion (V1.1) -Release and Discussion Thread-

Started by silverpaw84, October 29, 2011, 03:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverpaw84

Just in time for Halloween I present to you:

Super Metroid: Hyperion!

Super Metroid: Hyperion is a mini-hack, about the size of the original Brinstar area of Super Metroid. It is centered around being dark and ominous, although it is not meant to be a difficult, death-defying hack. It is non-canon, but if you must put it in the story line, it would take place right after Return of Samus. A good deal of items have been hidden, but no required items are hidden too much.
Complete (collectable) Item List:
[spoiler]
Grapple Beam
Atom Phase
Booster Charge
Shinespark (optional)
Ball Charge (optional)
13 Missile Tanks
7 Super Missiles
3 Energy Tanks
3 Shinesparks
8 Easter Eggs

(22% IS THE MAX)[/spoiler]
The final boss ranges from being challenging to a pushover, depending on how many items you collected
There are NO save stations, so when the "upcoming boss" music starts playing, savestates are a good idea

Pics:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Credit goes to the people working on Project Base for the Varia Suit recolor, Crys for some of her CRE tiles (such as speedblocks), and A_red_monk_called_Key for the M2:RoS ship
Anything found in my hack may be used however you like, don't worry about credit.

Patch is for Unheadered [JU] roms
I have also included a .txt file, with the full list of items, just as an extra (it was released with the beta)

V1.1 UPDATE BUGFIXES:
[spoiler]Fixed the bug with "Eye" slowing down/crashing game
Botwoon's SM no longer respawns, Botwoon DOES (area-specific problem)
Final boss door errors
Small level design flaws were addressed[/spoiler]
Update patch (V1.1) needs to be applied after the Hyperion patch is applied

Scyzer

Been playing this. It's quite a good hack, though a biot tedious to move around in because of the low gravity.

So far, I have Grapple, Atom Phase, 2 Easter Eggs, 15 Missiles and 8 Super Missiles. I've seen several Speedbooster items hidden in walls, and another SM, but I have no idea where to go next.
[spoiler=Map so far]

[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Bugs and stuff]
1. First bug I encountered was at the security checkpoint sort of area with the eye and lift. The eye continues to shine even when you move away from it, and sometimes the game crashed while moving upwards in that room. I wasn't able to duplicate it constantly, but it happened several times.

2. The Super Missile in Botwoon's room is respawning. I collected that one 4 times in total, which is why I have so many SMs at that point (3 more than I should).

Not sure where the extra missiles came from, as there were no respawning missile packs I've seen so far. Perhaps you counted wrong.
[/spoiler]

silverpaw84

Quote from: Scyzer on October 31, 2011, 12:33:19 AM
Been playing this. It's quite a good hack, though a biot tedious to move around in because of the low gravity.

So far, I have Grapple, Atom Phase, 2 Easter Eggs, 15 Missiles and 8 Super Missiles. I've seen several Speedbooster items hidden in walls, and another SM, but I have no idea where to go next.
[spoiler=Map so far]

[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Bugs and stuff]
1. First bug I encountered was at the security checkpoint sort of area with the eye and lift. The eye continues to shine even when you move away from it, and sometimes the game crashed while moving upwards in that room. I wasn't able to duplicate it constantly, but it happened several times.

2. The Super Missile in Botwoon's room is respawning. I collected that one 4 times in total, which is why I have so many SMs at that point (3 more than I should).

Not sure where the extra missiles came from, as there were no respawning missile packs I've seen so far. Perhaps you counted wrong.
[/spoiler]

Ok first off: start menu IS disabled, right? I know its not hard to change, but i was supposed to disable it... From where you are on the map, [spoiler]explore that room some more. I actually added *something* to make it more of a hint... Look for tiles that dont belong. Notice the music is different for only one room?[/spoiler]
for the bugs, the eye never crashed for me, but did cause a minor slowdown, i found by moving it it fixed it, but apparently not... Will work on it. SM is bad, gonna get on that too. And as for missiles, there are 13 TANKS, not 13 total, total of 26 missiles... Keep the bugs coming, i tried to fix em all

herald83

start menu IS disabled, right?
-Yes.  I prefer to have map access, but I can deal.

-It took me forever to find grapple, but when I found it I felt like an idiot.  I had already wall-jumped through two grapple courses and got stuck in the room with no floor before resorting to finding it.

-Don't know if you tried to fix Botwoon's SM yet, but I'm getting both a respawning Super and a respawning Botwoon.

explore that room some more.
-The hint block helped get things started in that room, but the pipe maze still took a longish time to get through, and I resorted to bombing every block in sight.  I totally got lost again on the way back through that room after grabbing the Speed Booster.  I think if you had some more variation in pipe blocks that would help quite a bit.

-Two other smallish gripes related to pipe mazes: Having the Springball would make these less painful to navigate, and the corner pipes have a few transparent pixels in them, making Samus visible in a not-so-pleasing manner.

silverpaw84

-Yes.  I prefer to have map access, but I can deal.
I had to disable start access because of the items you start with... And I didn't want to have to change the names of 5+ items on the status screen, AND reserve tank/easter egg would have been... Strange

-It took me forever to find grapple, but when I found it I felt like an idiot.  I had already wall-jumped through two grapple courses and got stuck in the room with no floor before resorting to finding it.

I added the second platform there in hopes it would peak curiosity, as well as having the hanging grapple points... Guess I'll make it mandatory to go under the door

-Don't know if you tried to fix Botwoon's SM yet, but I'm getting both a respawning Super and a respawning Botwoon.
I'm not gonna release a new patch for a day or two, so that I can tackle as many problems as possible... I'll update the subject to say v1.1 or something... Applying patches all the time is rather ridiculous, so I'm not gonna make everyone do that

the pipe maze still took a longish time to get through, and I resorted to bombing every block in sight.  I totally got lost again on the way back through that room after grabbing the Speed Booster.  I think if you had some more variation in pipe blocks that would help quite a bit.

I never did like that section... I'll fix it

-Two other smallish gripes related to pipe mazes: Having the Springball would make these less painful to navigate
Springball does more than simply spring now... Sorry

the corner pipes have a few transparent pixels in them, making Samus visible in a not-so-pleasing manner.

I know, and as much as I don't like seeing it, it looks 10x worse when they are squared off (not to mention she still pokes through a bit even then) The entire (original) game has minor clipping bugs in it

herald83

2:01 & 14%.  I didn't find the Shinesparks or Ball Charge, and only found one easter egg.  I know I missed a bunch of tanks too.

Congrats on making me mentally crap myself when finding the end boss.  It almost seemed too easy though; six supers and a few more missiles nuked him.

The escape sequence feels kind of vanilla, and I mostly just ran through the pirates.  Two door bugs in this area:

-If you leave the boss room through the right door, it resets the map and dumps you higher up in the previous room.

-If you leave the boss room through the left door, then return to the boss room, it dumps you in Maridia.

You could fix these, or just put in some permanent grey doors, since there's really no point going back after beating the boss.

One weird thing I noticed: if you shoot supers during the escape sequence, it resets the screen shake effect and the room stops shaking.  Dunno if anyone had discovered this before.  I'm assuming you'd find this in the vanilla rom, but I didn't bother checking.

silverpaw84

Quote from: herald83 on October 31, 2011, 04:32:19 PM
Congrats on making me mentally crap myself when finding the end boss.  It almost seemed too easy though; six supers and a few more missiles nuked him.

It was really difficult to put in the final boss, and weaken it a lot... Six super missiles is only one away from the max I put in, although until I fix the respawning problem, you could just spam supers the whole game... I hated the escape sequence [spoiler]Which is just vanilla backwards[/spoiler] but I didn't have the time to do much with it, and the one room I had added went all screwy

-EDIT-
I am toying with the idea of a hard-mode, but it's such a small hack, I don't really know

Scyzer

Oh. Start menu IS disabled, I just manually ran the routine to force the map to display so I could post. Nothing to worry about.
There is actually a tweak on the main site that allows you to have the map, but no status screen. It would be worth putting that in IMO, for such a large minihack.

I'll have a look at that eye room some more next time I go through that way and try to figure out why it crashes.
I gotta go out soon so I'll update this post with more stuff I find later on :P

Prime Hunter

I ran into the bug with the eye as well, but it simply caused the game to slow to a crawl as I wall jumped up the shaft to the door.

I also found a spot right below where Samus is where I could morph under the platform and fall into a "secret world" so to speak. (In other words, an out of bounds area.)

silverpaw84

Quote from: Prime Hunter on November 01, 2011, 01:02:38 AM
I also found a spot right below where Samus is where I could morph under the platform and fall into a "secret world" so to speak. (In other words, an out of bounds area.)

Nice find... Looks like ill be relasing a patch latr today/tomorrow. Anyone have any ideas about the eye? It is in "crateria" so i doubt its anything related to zoning...

uzqap

didn't look into your ROM
in the original there are 3 E6BF's with different values (morphball room 79E9F), and 2 different in 79F64 and 79A90
coping their speed's could fix it maybe
wrong values might are your problem idk

silverpaw84

Well I WAS gonna crank out a few fixes, but this happened:
[spoiler]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TkBGi_Xe9Q[/spoiler]
I reinstalled it and tis all well, but now I've gotta go do some crap, so I'll have to get on it later

-EDIT-
Patch 1.1 is up. Apply it on top of Hyperion

Qactis

1:21 13%. Got speedbooster and went straight to the end without backtracking to grab items. Mainly enjoyed the hack except for a few things:

[spoiler]
Falling here is A HUGE BACKTRACK

Kinda cheap falling from up there and trying to get to the door, you're pretty much bound to get hit.

And lastly, I didn't really pick up on any warning that Ridley was the next room, so I ended up saving right before I ran in with about 250 energy 13 missiles and 5 supers. Took me a few angry retries to light his ass up without missing, but if it were on console or something I would have been thoroughly pissed.[/spoiler]

Other than that good job with the graphics, palettes, item placement, many of the rooms I really liked, especially the room where you get your first missile pack from that chozo.

silverpaw84

[spoiler]
Falling here is A HUGE BACKTRACK [/spoiler]
Yes it is, but tis better than death. Somebody from Metroid PRimes design team really needs to figure out how Samus can fall 200+ feet and magically respawn back on the ledge... Tht room is to force you to acquire grapple, maybe I'm just really good with grapple and didn't know it, as I tried to make it as easy as possible to get through (without the original blocks)

Kinda cheap falling from up there and trying to get to the door, you're pretty much bound to get hit.
Yes, it is, but you're a bounty hunter. Problems, Lady? Lol

[spoiler]
And lastly, I didn't really pick up on any warning that Ridley was the next room, so I ended up saving right before I ran in with about 250 energy 13 missiles and 5 supers. Took me a few angry retries to light his ass up without missing, but if it were on console or something I would have been thoroughly pissed.[/spoiler]
If I get more bugs (or maybe even if not) ill add a room in between adding "warning" music... I should have done that in the first place

Other than that good job with the graphics, palettes, item placement, many of the rooms I really liked, [spoiler]especially the room where you get your first missile pack from that chozo.[/spoiler]
That's one of my favorites, too. [spoiler]I decided early on that I would put acid into the game in parts, and who says it has to be a huge obstacle?[/spoiler] I'm glad you liked it, as I really didn't care for it myself. The tileset grew on me, but it still seemed plain and bland, even after adding/replacing/creating tiles in the tileset...

That was a bitch to type on an iPhone, FYI

bradzx

Something wrong after I patch 1.1.  I load the file and item already have it.  Charge beam, bomb, morph ball, and wide beam.  I didn't do anything.  I just follow first post about patch 1.0 to 1.1 patch.  I just follow this.  "Update patch (V1.1) needs to be applied after the Hyperion patch is applied.  So...I wonder myself.  That is stupid idea I ever heard to patch to patch for update.  I just saying.  No offense.

silverpaw84

Bradzx, if I understand you correctly, you are starting with items, right? This is supposed to happen, it's not a bug. Worry not

And the reason I did the patches like that is for the people who already had progress. If I updated the patch, it would need to be patched to a new game, thus erasing progress. This way everybody can enjoy the fixes with minimal problems

MetroidMst

1:31
%15

This was a really good mini-hack. I got lost. It was different and interesting. Physics were weird, but they fit the hack. I will be uploading my run sometime within the next week probably. Definitely worth playing through at least once.

silverpaw84

Good, I'm glad you liked it. I didn't, but I think that's normal.. I subscribed to your channel, so I'll give it a play when you upload it.
If I recall correctly, 21 or 22% is the max for collection, so 15 is pretty good.

I was planning on fixing that, but I have been unbelievably busy as of late. I have barely had time to even think of playing any games, much less work on them. On that note, I'm glad to see there aren't any more bugs listed

MetroidMst

Quote from: silverpaw84 on December 22, 2011, 02:06:53 PM
I'm glad to see there aren't any more bugs listed
Unfortunately there is. I didn't say because one is obscure and only an idiot like me would find it. (You'll see it in the run.) Another one is in the room with the eye-beam creature. I opened the top door with the Grapple Beam and the game froze. However, I could not recreate it and I don't have that "on film" so it probably isn't a big deal.

The game freezing one could be a problem, but as I said, I couldn't get it to happen a second time and I tried for 5 minutes.

silverpaw84

Quote from: MetroidMst on December 22, 2011, 02:13:27 PM
Quote from: silverpaw84 on December 22, 2011, 02:06:53 PM
I'm glad to see there aren't any more bugs listed
I didn't say because one is obscure and only an idiot like me would find it.
Obscurity is the bread and butter of Metroid, though :neutral:

bradzx

Quote from: silverpaw84 on December 17, 2011, 08:46:57 PM
Bradzx, if I understand you correctly, you are starting with items, right? This is supposed to happen, it's not a bug. Worry not

And the reason I did the patches like that is for the people who already had progress. If I updated the patch, it would need to be patched to a new game, thus erasing progress. This way everybody can enjoy the fixes with minimal problems
Oh....wow....that is pretty rare for this hack because I never see it in my whole life.  Oh I see.

Derakon

(Note the bump)

Neat hack, though a little too dark for my tastes. Unfortunately I'm stuck; I've found a bunch of missiles, the grapple beam, an E-tank, and three easter eggs, but I haven't been able to proceed any further. Killing the Bomb Torizo opened a couple doors, but as far as I can tell one just leads to that E-tank and the other leads to a dead end with doors I can't open yet (and another easter egg that I need shinespark to get).

Oh, and thanks for making the Metroids killable by Grapple Beam. Dodging them is a major pain otherwise.

Also, you can jump off the top of the screen in Bomb Torizo's room. I think you forgot to put a hard ceiling in above the item.

MetroidMst

You aren't stuck, but I don't remember where to go from there. I have a playlist of videos of Hyperion up if you want to see where you need to head to next.

[spoiler=A playlist of videos.]http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL62CDEF4F51F568B6&feature=plcp[/spoiler]

Derakon

Okay, the bit I was missing was some fake spikes. That's dirty pool, since they're surrounded by real ones. Tsk. I even let the wallcrawler do a full circuit of the room to see if I was missing anything, and it didn't walk through the fake spikes! Bad designer, no cookie. :p

Thanks for the video, anyway. Back on my way!

MetroidMst

That spike pit is not so cool. If the caterpillar crawled down into it, that would've been a good hint, but nope. Still, for a such a small hack, I don't think that was overly terrible.