News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid: Fear

Started by MetroidMst, August 02, 2009, 06:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetroidMst

I just use SMILE's graphics editor to change the palettes. Make sure you expand your tilesets and whatever else before though because you will overwrite stuff otherwise. Sometimes I even expeirement with FX1 settings to adjust the palette, as seen by some really dark lava rooms in a couple of videos.

Just try messing around and see what you come up with. Create a backup first and then play around. Really, I would prefer my paticular palette choices be kept for Fear, but I have no objection for someone else to use them as a guideline/inspiration for their own hack. It woud just be very boring if every hack used the same palette, hence why the original palettes almost never make it into hacks now. I would especially prefer to keep my suit palettes to myself though, as a player will automatically be able to tell my hacks apart just by seeing the suit.

MetroidMst

So I haven't been on in a couple of weeks and many of you may have feared (Pun not intended) the worst. DSO may have finally eaten my brain. No, it is too juicy for one sitting.

Anyway, Fear is not dead, it is very much alive with some still minor progress. There is actually a significant structural idea to this area based on this screen, my guess is that it will throw some players for a loop when they get to this part in the game.

[attachment deleted by admin]

personitis

It's going to flip/turn. I can already 'c' it.

MetroidMst

I hated one room I made in paticular. And so I remade it into something I like a lot more. Beware what lurks in the depths!

[attachment deleted by admin]

DSO

You're so great with minimal backgrounds, it looks like Dmantra but without brain trauma.

Also, that looks like a serious octorok from the original Legend of Zelda. You ought to have a boulder enemy fall down behind that pipe just as people move underneath.

Digital_Mantra

Silver Skree

Shit.

Fuck you. That room is fucking beautiful. I hate it.

DSO

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on June 07, 2010, 03:22:30 AM
brain trauma?
Someone hit you in the head really hard with a steel baseball bat and your brain matter turned all liquid and flew out your ear. Some of the brain matter splatter hit your computer, which consumed it and channeled it into SMILE which just happened to be up. That's how Eris was created.

FullOfFail

At first I was like wtf when you got stuck outside of the door through a wall. But then I seen the morphball tunnel and was like ahhh, clever.

Also that serpent head is KICKASS!

Lunaria

Hiroshi Mishima

Loved the music for that latest vid. And wow, so now Fear has a Negative Zone, eh? That or it's Minus World.

DSO

That first room would be perfect for an endless drop sort of ordeal where you have to find a hidden path to actually go down.

Scyzer

Quote from: Hiroshi Mishima on June 14, 2010, 07:00:13 PM
Loved the music for that latest vid.

It's from Super Mario 64. The broken ship level, and possibly the 9th level as well IIRC

Fenix

The suit is pretty cool *0*

X-tradyte

Quote from: Sadiztyk Fish on June 15, 2010, 07:58:04 PM
Quote from: Hiroshi Mishima on June 14, 2010, 07:00:13 PM
Loved the music for that latest vid.

It's from Super Mario 64. The broken ship level, and possibly the 9th level as well IIRC
Yeah, It's The Jolly Roger Bay Music. It's Quite Relaxing.

Also, Nice Designs MetroidMst. But 0:25 Into The Video Goes Like, Pitch Black and Red Suddenly.

Katelyn

DarkSamus: I know right? Because it isn't like the room is like that at all! >_>

Digital_Mantra

from watching the videos, and playing a short demo awhile back, the fx1 gimmicks seem quite annoying and confusing.
are you going for a well rounded hack with distinct themes or just a majestic planet full of eyesores.

X-tradyte

xD, I see my quote. Anyhow, yeah just my opinion. You may wanna darken those eyesores, They're quite blinding.

MetroidMst

[spoiler=Movie!]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udyemJKco7w[/spoiler]

A glimpse of how FX1 is used within Fear to create a lot of variety while still keeping within the same relative theme. The only "outlandish eyesore my brain is melting" stuff is in the first area, since Craterian glows affect so many different things I have had a lot of fun exploring that, plus my sewage adds new depth to it too.

The glows get more tame as the game progresses, but still exist and add some extra detail to it.

Crashtour99

Well, I really like the dark murky watery areas (even with the strange flashing glow effects).  Some of the palette choices are quite nice, like the turquoise columns in the background.  However there are a lot of palette choices that don't mix very well at all like some of the fungus.

Riffman81

Although some palettes don't seem to mix very well, I think it adds to the overall abstract feel of some of the environments. It's all a matter of personal preference and what you think works best. I like what I'm seeing so far. I like the dark vibe of this hack, and it'll be very interesting to see how the finished product turns out.

Digital_Mantra

That video still gives me a headache.

squishy_ichigo

Other then the rinka palette, I loved Mother Brain's room, good job there.

X-tradyte

Nice job. By now this must not be that far from completion. Although Super metroid is rather short. This is a full hack so it's possibly longer. Anyways, keep going. Not far now MM. Can't wait to play this.