News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid: Fear

Started by MetroidMst, August 02, 2009, 06:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

personitis

See, I would give what I think is an accurate release date for Fear, but knowing Mst, this will only tempt him to delay it that much longer.

Quietus

Quote from: MetroidMst on July 31, 2014, 10:38:03 PMstill on time for 2032.
But with two or three competitions a year between now and then, it could add a whole 52 weeks on. :heheh:

MetroidMst

It could just mean simply going from January 1st, 2032 all the way to December 31st, 2032. Either way, still the same year! :D

And no person, if a hack is finished, it is finished. I can't add some extra wait time into the hack itself, unlike other things, so there would be no reason to keep a hold of it if all goes well. Speaking of going well though. . . I believe DSO conjured up another idea last night, so we shall see how that goes too.

Quietus

Quote from: MetroidMst on August 01, 2014, 11:28:58 AMI can't add some extra wait time into the hack itself
Grab JAM's patch, and create a new event: Player must wait x seconds for grey doors to become active. :yay:

Jordan5

You shouldn't have told him that Quietus... I can imagine his next contest hack full of those doors. :evilno:

You could call it SLP: So Little Patience

personitis

Quote from: Quietus on August 01, 2014, 06:17:55 PMPlayer must wait x seconds for grey doors to become active. :yay:
Quote from: Jordan5 on August 02, 2014, 03:51:13 PM
You shouldn't have told him that Quietus... I can imagine his next contest hack full of those doors. :evilno:
Another great idea for Much More Time! Though, you can hate on me for most of those if the hack sees the light of day.

Quietus

Quote from: Jordan5 on August 02, 2014, 03:51:13 PMYou could call it SLP: So Little Patience
But it might be 'fun', right?

I mean, you could have the player have to infinitely wall-jump on an ever shrinking wall as lava slowly rises while you wait for the door to open.  Then the very next room has an invincible enemy, and you have to avoid their attacks for an age.  See?  That's what 'fun' is, right? :nod:

[spoiler]:nowai: I'm so sorry, guys.[/spoiler]

Grimlock

OMFG, you started this a long time ago!

[spoiler]Had to say it  :lol:[/spoiler]

Anyway, I like your concept, the idea of the theme being in a dream is the twisted kind of stuff I usually come up with. You should consider editing in some graphics of metroids killing off civilians as part of some twisted nightmare room/area.  Samus is of course helpless to save them... you could even edit an area to resemble a burning city with metroid attacking.  Just a thought....

Quietus

The Metroid thing could certainly be possible, by hijacking their routine for hunting Samus, and transferring it to enemies.  Then either make an enemy that looks like a scientist (or whatever you want to be eaten), or create an invisible enemy, and place it over the existing scientist tiles.  Nom, nom, nom! :metroid:

Grimlock

Quote from: Quietus on August 11, 2014, 05:45:28 AM
The Metroid thing could certainly be possible, by hijacking their routine for hunting Samus, and transferring it to enemies.  Then either make an enemy that looks like a scientist (or whatever you want to be eaten), or create an invisible enemy, and place it over the existing scientist tiles.  Nom, nom, nom! :metroid:

Wow, and I was just suggesting editing the tiles to create stationary metroids :lol: .  Metroid killing off the enemies would be epic.  Is that actually possible with SM?  I'm not familiar with the editing capabilities of SM, I'm a M1 guy, although I loved SM when it came out and wouldn't be opposed to working with it in the future.

Quietus

While it would need one of the ASM guys / gurus, it certainly sounds relatively easy.

Quote58

Damn it quietus and grimlock, now I have to add this to the list of things to do. You people and your good ideas, ugh.

DSO

This sort of thing was already present with the giant metroid, something I used in AFC2 for precisely that with just a few minor tweaks. It actually served as a protective shield for another enemy, preventing you from harming it at that time by covering it up. (I made it push you outwards so you couldn't just get inside it.) I have other ideas for enemy targeting, like X factor charges and bomb spread actually targeting enemies.

Will you see these in Fear? Find out in the year 2032!

Quietus

Quote from: Quote58 on August 11, 2014, 01:53:07 PMDamn it quietus and grimlock, now I have to add this to the list of things to do. You people and your good ideas, ugh.
But, but, but Grimlock started it.  I begged him not to... :cry:

crazyal02

And so, I discovered the great Fear Dynasty. I'll be sure to check back in in 2032.

Quietus

FEAR doesn't actually exist.  Mst is just waiting for 2032 to produce the ultimate troll: Every hack in the SL series, linked back to back. :^_^:

crazyal02

Quote from: Quietus on August 22, 2014, 04:09:36 AM
FEAR doesn't actually exist.  Mst is just waiting for 2032 to produce the ultimate troll: Every hack in the SL series, linked back to back. :^_^:

MetroidMst

The time has come yet again for a pretty important update. The "major" thing going on now is a complete reworking on the starting area. It was starting to feel 7 years old, and there were things I just was not happy with anymore. It had a section partially updated a couple of years ago, and now the rest is getting a major overhaul. What this means is that the silly demo I am still leaving in the first post is now completely out of date.

The other thing that I consider to be more "major" than that is I am doing some palette reworking. (No crash, my radical mushrooms are intact still.) Thanks to me being a goober way early in the process of making this hack, I've had some issues constantly with palettes, so I am going about clearing that now and getting it over with. My testers can attest to doors constantly changing palettes and other such annoying things. Even the HUD changes palettes per-tileset. No more. I am currently busy fixing that now.

Besides those, there is still a whole lot left to do. But work continues on!

Quietus

I get the feeling that any hack that takes any serious length of time will have sections rebuilt.  It's the nature of hacking that you learn new stuff all the time, and if it's not a new thing to implement, then it means reworking something you've already done.  Keep truckin', Mst. :^_^:

TobiMikami

Quote from: crazyal02 on August 22, 2014, 06:35:33 PM
Quote from: Quietus on August 22, 2014, 04:09:36 AM

The ultimate troll actually would be that Fear is really just a Rick Roll and it's taking MST until 2032 to implement the entire song into the game.

personitis

IIRC Tobi, that has actually already been done. Not to a SM ROM specifically, but you could port the ROM to a cart and it'd still work (in all its 16-bit glory).

Vismund Cygnus

Quote from: MetroidMst on September 18, 2014, 06:16:33 AM
The time has come yet again for a pretty important update. The "major" thing going on now is a complete reworking on the starting area. It was starting to feel 7 years old, and there were things I just was not happy with anymore. It had a section partially updated a couple of years ago, and now the rest is getting a major overhaul. What this means is that the silly demo I am still leaving in the first post is now completely out of date.

The other thing that I consider to be more "major" than that is I am doing some palette reworking. (No crash, my radical mushrooms are intact still.) Thanks to me being a goober way early in the process of making this hack, I've had some issues constantly with palettes, so I am going about clearing that now and getting it over with. My testers can attest to doors constantly changing palettes and other such annoying things. Even the HUD changes palettes per-tileset. No more. I am currently busy fixing that now.

Besides those, there is still a whole lot left to do. But work continues on!

And 60% drops to 10%. . .  :lol:

MetroidMst

Please, it only fell back to 10.04%! Give me some credit.

In any case, while going back and redoing this area, I discovered a relic in an ancient roomstate. This might be the third or forth room I ever built in the hack from way back when. I just found it humorous that it survived 7+ years thanks to hiding in some strange roomstate I never touched until recently.

[spoiler=Relic from when you were in diapers][/spoiler]

M1CR0H4CK3R

Quote from: MetroidMst on September 21, 2014, 03:09:41 PMGive me some credit.
I'm sorry, but I cannot. You see, you failed English 101:
Quote from: MetroidMst on September 21, 2014, 03:09:41 PM
This might be the third or forth room I ever built in the hack from way back when.
Quote from: MetroidMst on September 21, 2014, 03:09:41 PM
the third or forth room
Quote from: MetroidMst on September 21, 2014, 03:09:41 PMforth
Try again next year!  :lol:

On a much more serious note, that must've been a room used to test out aesthetics for an area, since it appears that some areas are unreachable through normal gameplay. Would I be correct in my assumption?

personitis

Though interesting, it also gives me hope that the area rework will make it not look as bland as that pic or how it once did. Also, for everyone else, be thankful you'll be able to see better. <_<