News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid: Fear

Started by MetroidMst, August 02, 2009, 06:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetroidMst

Quote from: chyrak on November 20, 2011, 12:57:32 PM
Gonna need me some save states for this one.
For that segment, maybe. Fear is not designed to be a ridiculously difficult hack, it is more like a Searching For Items hack, albeit with items hidden a little harder, a bigger area to explore, and more difficulty. Besides that, I have save stations set up in convenient locations. Currently, there is one segment that could seriously pose problems, but I am still tweaking it/adding shortcuts to find a decent balance.

DSO

Quote from: MetroidMst on November 20, 2011, 01:09:47 PM
Currently, there is one segment that could seriously pose problems, not counting all the others...

One more bug I have to figure out and I'm done opening more space in $8F, then I expect some things to progress at a good clip.
Right now, I can easily see people going over 10 hours on their first playthrough.

MetroidMst

Sup peoples! Got NEWS. That is right, long awaited for the masses. I decided showing off a bit more than the demo and my videos would be in order... But how to do this? This is where a new member of my testing team comes in handy. You see, he does something called "S T R E A M I N G" things. This can be utilized. It will be utilized. You will utilize it.

What does this do for you, you ask? Well it is simple. Person701 is going to stream part of Fear on the 30th of December if it all works out. Time - 5 or 6 EST. (Might want to check in at 5 just in case.)

[spoiler]http://www.twitch.tv/person701 <---(The channel you will find the stream.)[/spoiler]

So if you are interested drop by and see a little more, plus watching person701 play is like legal drugs for the viewers.

Feel free to discuss anything you see in this very topic, think of what is in store, and be prepared. Fear is coming...

[spoiler=Video Anouncement]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUrk1UNWt0Q&list=UU6dCRz30r4VP6dfmSrI_25g&index=1&feature=plcp[/spoiler]

Qactis

probably working. Oh well. I'll wait until it's finished

MetroidMst

Thanks for all involved for making the stream a success. I have to say it was really fun to do, and watching person701 play has given me some ideas for things I may need to look at in the future.

For any who missed the fun you can go to the link provided in the spoiler to see it again. Though if you really want some fun keep watching after person701 finishes the stream of Fear, he goes into So Little Time, and suffers for everyone's enjoyment.

[spoiler=Person701's replay of Fear/So Little Time Hilarity Fest]http://www.twitch.tv/person701/b/304081650[/spoiler]

personitis

._.

My map... mine. Also, FEAR was great although I spent 30 minutes looking for a secret I had already found. Most definitely bound to be one of the best hacks of whatever year it's released. Go check out the link to the recording. It's worth it.

pomtt

:stern: i know this is verry late but i love the story plan for the hack :heheh:

ICEing

I see the ips file up. Is this a demo?

Zhs2

MetroidMst

Well, I haven't updated this in a long while. Not to fear (ROFL) as work has been progressing rapidly believe it or not. But this has cost me some things. These things you ask? BEING RELEASED ANY TIME SOON!

[spoiler=n00b thoughts. And Eppy.]"OMG, I cannot believe this twirp isn't ready to release this yet. What does he think he is doing that requires another two years to complete? Just lame."[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Reasons why!]With the advent of DSO being born, also comes ideas that sprout from the both of us. This means that there will be more things added in. Not just any "things" mind you. Rad things.[/spoiler]

IF YOU ARE A PERVERT AND READ SPOILERS THEN YOU MIGHT ASK WHAT ARE THESE "RAD THINGS?"

The answer is you won't know until you find them! However, I will say that I am once again expanding the world beyond capacity, and that you should expect absolutely nothing to make sense. There will be a lot of upgrades, and a ton of totally mondo custom things.

[spoiler=n00b question]What are these things? lol1!1!!? xD[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Answer to teh n00bs!]The final teaser was released a while ago. There are no more things being told.[/spoiler]

In other words: YOU WILL NEVER KNOW BECAUSE FEAR WILL NEVER BE FINISHED! UNLESS YOU BECAME PERVERTED AND LOOKED AT THE FUTURE!!1!

Also, in regards to the patch in the main post. DEMO IT IS, AND DEMO IT REMAINS! For those unable to read, don't worry, because you won't have a clue what it is anyway. Also, in regards to timeline... IT IS A HACK! It takes place immediately after AngryFireChozo (The first one) which takes place sometime between Other M and Fusion. This is important, for no reason other than n3rds like to know these things.

[spoiler=Implications?]WHAT WAS IMPLIED BY THIS POST?[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Answer!]NEW ITEMS AND ENEMIES AND ABILITIES AND MUSIC AND THINGS![/spoiler]
[spoiler=What will I not admit to?]ALL OF THE ABOVE! ROFLROFLTHATWASAWFUL[/spoiler]

Don't finish reading this. It wasn't authorized to be posted yet. And for the final time...

[spoiler=The patch]THE PATCH YOU DOWNLOADED FROM THE MAIN POST IS A DEMO OLDER THAN DIAMONDS[/spoiler]

Qactis

advancedpillow

Haha! That was a hilarious post!

personitis

Well I'm back and it looks like I have some torture to go through things to do for you Mst.

Corruptor

ICEing

Is this project still going on or is it dead?

Cloud20

I think metroidmst is still working on.
He mades an intersting guide for beginners in hacking
http://www.themetroid.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=metroid&action=display&thread=55

He talks a little bit about his project, taking years to construction.

MetroidMst

Quote from: ICEing on September 26, 2012, 10:25:57 AM
Is this project still going on or is it dead?

As Cloud12 brought out, I am still working on it. Not much to show off, since I have been mostly bug fixing and getting things ready for some... interesting stuff for it. It is far from dead, mostly just in silent mode at the moment until something big comes up. There will probably be one more teaser for the hack sometime in the future, but no other videos besides that. Otherwise though, enjoy a visual!

I haven't really treated people to any info recently... There is a lot of non-news stuff going on "behind the scenes." Basically, stuff you will notice and enjoy, but won't know about until you play it. I will try to keep some small updates coming a little more often, but don't expect anything heavy to hit until the video. (And who knows how far off that is...)

Kasel

MetroidMst

So work is picking up on Fear again. May not be anything you can sink your juicy controller into, but there is stuff, and this stuff is weird. To go along with some sydneysauce tilesets for the final level designing area(s), there are some things being implemented...

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Zhs2

That status screen looks pretty familiar... :wink:

Quietus

Any plans to use the L and R buttons? :oh:

Weterr123

[spoiler]WHAT RAD THINGS?!?!?!?![/spoiler]

:lol:

TheShepherd82

looks good, but also looks hard...there's metroids everywhere.
if there are any youtube uploads for fear let me know ;)

cheers
jack

MetroidMst

I guess I do have some videos of stuff up. Most of them are pretty old, and quite possibly out of date though, so don't expect Fear to end up looking like what you see. I will re-link two of the trailers I made in case you didn't see them.

[spoiler]Super Metroid Fear Trailer
Final Fear Teaser[/spoiler]

There really isn't much else I'm willing to show right now. There probably won't be many more pics of the hack, and almost certainly not any more trailers. However, if there is a major update, like the one below, I may post about it.

UPDATE:
Some may know of this already from IRC or the bookface and all that silly stuff, but there has been a massive reworking of an area of Fear. I figured I may as well mention this, since it will do nothing but make everyone realize that Fear will be even longer in development! There are numerous reasons to rework an area, and I had quite a few, but if I had to pinpoint one main reason for this, it is that I wanted to expand on a single idea I had.

That being said, there is a very interesting thing going in, which may take many by surprise. (And will undoubtedly be the most remembered thing of the area, if not the entire hack. (And also the thing by which many will rage at me like never before.)) So yeah, I fleshed out a pretty simple concept a bit more, which led to a wild idea, which in turn led to yet another idea. I added in a lot more work for the hack overall in doing this, but I think it will turn out to be a good decision. Of course, 99% of people won't even know what things were like before this, but an update is an update I guess.

That being said, I do want to address what TheShepherd82 brought up about the hack looking hard. That is not a coincidence. Generally speaking, you can go places without too much difficulty. However, I for one like something that challenges me. I feel that bosses should be bosses, and be serious threats. However, I also have some "challenge sections" in the hack. There is an entire segment meant to really challenge the player. Bosses go from difficult to downright impossible if you don't collect your items. (And then they could be difficult anyway, because they're bosses and should be difficult.) And for those who struggle with it, there is a lot of Grapple segments. Some will not find most of the Grappling overly hard, but I know there are a lot who really aren't experienced with it too much. Fear will give you plenty of practice in some places.

With that said, this isn't going to be a hack built around challenge. It is an exploration hack. There are items everywhere, and anyone who collects 100% is a freak of nature and should probably be caught and studied. (I'm looking at you Quietus...) I do like some challenge, and you will encounter some, but I have done a few things to make exploring the world easier.

And now! For the much anticipated(?) release date: Did you really just quote my post to read this tiny text?

Quote58

[spoiler][/spoiler]
didn't need to :P