News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Crys's hack topic! (lot's of images)

Started by Lunaria, August 02, 2009, 04:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunaria

What's this? A hack topic, by me?

No it's not some new big project, yet at least.

What's this topic about then?
I post random hacking related things. I could use the screenshot and video topics but I also release stuff in here. Every thing from GFX to half/mini test hacks.

Why could I not simply use my blog you might ask?
Good question! The answer is simple, I don't think anyone beside GF_Kennon looks at it.
Once Ice metal is out I will have more use for it TBH.

So let's start this topic off with this!

---
LN nerfing.ips
---

So let's get down to what this is first of all.

As you saw on M2k2 (or maybe you did not) I posted the old ice metal in a topic named [SM]Ice.
It was the latest version of the old ice metal that I could find. Though, just now I found an old e-mail from myself with the very latest version of it.

This one has more changes, better palette and such.
However... the current version on m2k2 I went back and fixed up quite a bit to make it better looking and better playing. On top of that, I fixed a lot of bugs and glitches in it.

This version I found have fixed some of them, but it also have added loads of new ones. On top of that it's not finished at all. But that's how it was when I did quit it.

First let me show you how it looks like:

Those are the "good" screen shots.

Now let me show you other stuff:

-First room I repointed to new location. I had no idea how to deal with the layer 2 shit back then. :/

-By repointing the room seen in last pic I did over write boss GFX. :/

-Croc's palette being messed up. As I knew very little about how it worked back then.

-Unfinished room.

That's all for the first update in this topic. You can download the patch below to torture your self. (Or you could just wait till I get squishy to play it live for me! :3 )

For headered ROMs!

ProjectXVIII

The suits look a lot better than in the other Ice. Don't know if you changed them or if it's just the pics, but they are a lot less eyeraping and bright. I might actually play this one...

Bioniclegenius

That green suit is seriously hideous... Is that palette still there, or did you finally change it?

RealRed

I agree with Biojenny.

Also, why not fix the annoying little problems before releasing? (mainly talking about the broken layer 2) No one is going to like having to deal with that stuff. I know you'd complain if this wasn't your topic.

Lunaria

There is a very good reason for this bloodsonic.

I quit this hack so many years back for the simple reason that along the way I learned so much that going back and turning this into some thing good and some thing that I would like would be harder then starting a new.
Ice metal was a good idea and something that I really wanted to make... but there where stuff I wanted to learn first. Discovery was my start at GFX editing, even though it started as a hack using ripped GFX, it was for this one I did draw the crystal cave tileset. And up to this day it's my best tileset IMO.
From there on out I started many hacks that never got done, not that it matters as I learned from them.

Then I started Ice metal redux, as in the Ice metal I have another topic about, you know.
The new Ice metal is at core what I wanted to make even back then. But I lacked the skill to do so.

So, as you might have figured out by now, I rather spent my time working on the Ice metal I have working then spend all my time now trying to fix this shitty half hack. The only reason I really did "release" now was to have it up here for historical purposes. :3

Quote from: Crys on August 02, 2009, 04:55:03 PMThat's all for the first update in this topic. You can download the patch below to torture your self. (Or you could just wait till I get squishy to play it live for me! :3 )
When I said that I really meant it, you should only download that garbage half hack if you want to torture your self. Or if you want to check out how good I was at hacking half a year after I started hacking, as I started hacking half a year before "this" release of it.

Lunaria

Not related to anything so I post it here!

In case you missed the live stream of it. :3

What do hackers do for fun?

Bioniclegenius

Looks cool, but I hope you won't have those in the real game when you release it (the shots that don't go anywhere). Also, I really liked the new 'energy!' sign at the top, as well as the missile and super missile icons :^_^:. Those were cool. But why didn't you change what missiles and super missiles actually looked like? :icon_cry:. You also didn't use them in the video. Btw, are you going to fix that ice-looks-like-super glitch?

Lunaria

I think you missed the point! XD

The topic about my main project is called "Ice Metal something" and is in this same forum.

In this topic I post random hacking related things that I do.
The video above show off that I mess with the value of spazer for some kinda cool things.
As they are buggy they will of course not be used in my main project. That's why I posted it here. ;P

Lunaria

now, two things to keep in mind, the tiles are still beta, and this PC takes really blurry screenshots.
Make that three things, I also have yet to make an background.
Anyhow, this is what I'm working on ATM.

And as I posted it here, it should be obvious that it's not for Ice Metal. <_<

Edit:

Started on the BG.

Edit 2: Updated above image.

Edit 3:

LOL PALETTE.

EDIT 4:

LOL SHADING.

EDIT 5:

Depth on the BG. :<

MetroidMst

SirAileron

Love the tile set, though the moon-looking-thing looks a bit large for the 16x16 tile. I dunno how you feel about it, but I'd think it would look bunches better if it fit inside with a 2 pixel padding, at least. Mainly, I say that because graphically it becomes hard on the eyes to see the darker portions of the tile on the backside of the moon clearly.

Making the moon 12x12 pixels would let it fit inside the block nicely, but then again, I don't know what direction you're going with the art. :pwuh:

Lunaria

I found an bug in Ice metal. (No, don't worry I can fix it! :P)

Here, you can have it in patch form! :D

Here is what it looks like:

Do note that some rooms do have level design changes.

Anyhow, ENJOY! :D