News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

General Projects Screenshots/Vids Thread

Started by Zhs2, May 15, 2009, 10:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steel Sparkle

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: TobiMikami on June 16, 2016, 01:38:04 PM
Game Maker 8.0 Pro, as most do. Also enjoy these fine Samus sprites:

Question are you to make the shoulder lights and chest plate blink off and on like the mzm ?
Also by looking at your sprites, why is samus varia/gravity arm cannon lights red ?
Not nick picking with you, but it looks strange that way, give it a good lime green.
It does look good, I like to see what you will do with the rest of the frames though that make up metroid prime samus.

TheAnonymousUser

Quote from: Dark-SA-X on June 18, 2016, 03:04:33 PM
Also by looking at your sprites, why is samus varia/gravity arm cannon lights red ?
Not nick picking with you, but it looks strange that way, give it a good lime green.

someone hasn't played prime...each of those cannon variants are based on how the arm cannon looked like in prime

TobiMikami

Quote from: TheAnonymousUser on June 18, 2016, 03:21:37 PM
Quote from: Dark-SA-X on June 18, 2016, 03:04:33 PM

someone hasn't played prime...each of those cannon variants are based on how the arm cannon looked like in prime
Bingo. The Plasma Beam also slightly extends the length of the arm cannon, as in Prime.

Physix

Quote from: TobiMikami on June 16, 2016, 01:38:04 PM
Game Maker 8.0 Pro, as most do. Also enjoy these fine Samus sprites:

You may as well make your own varia suit sheet  because I've seen a too on of mzm  based engines and none of them actually mimic mzm physics and animation speeds

Draw your own with a few colors of the palette reserved for the arm canon April glow pumpkin.. draw the lines on and switch glow color bbaesed on beam . With palette shader

Oh god auto correct

I a wish had computer with me so I could try recolor of your suit. S  they have too much contrast end not enough depth and not enough hue shift between the light anfd dark shades. Damn my hands itch to fix that shit so bad ararargrgrarghgrarg

TobiMikami

Well the guy who created the engine released a couple executable demos, try it out once, I think you'll be quite surprised. http://am2r.freeforums.org/metroid-engine-kousoru-v4-0-v5-canceled-t482.html

I'm also going to request you don't refer to my work as "that shit" I take offense to that. I drew these sprites to be what I want them to be. It's my game, I asked for opinions, not for someone to remodel my work.

Quote58

Presumably "that shit" refers to the contrast/depth aspect of the sprites, not the sprites as a whole.

However, I agree that was hella rude and arrogant. If you have a suggestion for helping his sprites physix, then politely let him know, but if all you're going to do is talk about how much better they'd be if you made them, then you're just trying to make yourself sound better and it's not constructive whatsoever.

Physix

Quote from: Quote58 on June 19, 2016, 03:26:02 AM
Presumably "that shit" refers to the contrast/depth aspect of the sprites, not the sprites as a whole.

However, I agree that was hella rude and arrogant. If you have a suggestion for helping his sprites physix, then politely let him know, but if all you're going to do is talk about how much better they'd be if you made them, then you're just trying to make yourself sound better and it's not constructive whatsoever.

Everyone always twisting what I say and making it look bad I'm just saying I wanna show him an alternative but doing it tr yough text alone is impossible. I'll do it in 2 days so you can stop taking offense to everything

Quietus

The short version is: It's not what you're saying that's the problem; it's how you say it.

Physix

Quote from: Quietus on June 19, 2016, 09:36:26 AM
The short version is: It's not what you're saying that's the problem; it's how you say it.

What are u talking about
I once told my dad that he looked drunk but I said it very nicely
And my ass still got beat wtf?

Quietus

I'm not about to entertain you with a how-to guide on forum etiquette and decorum during social interaction. It's not difficult - just be more civil.

TobiMikami

Quote from: Physix on June 19, 2016, 09:50:10 AM
Quote from: Quietus on June 19, 2016, 09:36:26 AM

What are u talking about
Real life construction has trades, everybody has their own specialty, and same with us. But when you're on a job site, it's incredibly rude to say "My wiring is better than yours so let me rip apart your work and redo it to my standard" that doesn't fly. The guys on those jobs will even say the same thing, even if you know you're better than someone, or you could do it better, you don't go around saying that, because it makes you sound pompous and nobody wants to work with you, instead, you get laid off and out a job. Whether you realize it or not, everybody has come to the same general consensus, whether it was meant to be that way or not, we all perceived arrogance. I'm not telling you this to be rude, or insult you, or make you upset, I'm telling you this so that hopefully you understand where we're all coming from here.

FPzero

After reading the comments about the suit contrast, I quickly threw together what I believe to be a little bit better contrast on the suits. I didn't change any of the fundamental colors on the suits, but I did try and make them pop a little more, Power Suit especially. My big changes were making the stomach piece and Power Suit legs better defined.

Even then, what I altered is incredibly minor and you don't have to actually change them. If you did want to add a little more contrast to the frames, this sheet has my suggestions. I think what you've drawn is really well done so far.

TobiMikami

I see what you mean with the Power Suit especially, not too bad. I'm sure I'll end up tweaking them another 30 times before there's any official release of anything though, just like everybody.

passarbye

Quote from: TobiMikami on June 18, 2016, 10:23:18 PM
Well the guy who created the engine released a couple executable demos, try it out once, I think you'll be quite surprised. http://am2r.freeforums.org/metroid-engine-kousoru-v4-0-v5-canceled-t482.html
it's actually funny someone links to that engine, I used to help the guy develop some of it and add room designs and shit. We're not doing much these days though.. besides waiting on that FUSION EDITOR from Biospark

TobiMikami

It's a great engine, you guys did well with it. Hopefully at the very least I can carry the torch with it and add some more advancements, I doubt I'll lose interest in it, but if I abandon it I'll definitely re-release whatever improvements I can make with it (That is, if you guys are alright with that, of course.)

passarbye

Do whatever you want with it, that was the intention when he released the source code. AFAIK, kousoru has moved on to a newer version which supposedly is more pixel accurate with the collisions and stuff, but I haven't really talked to him in a long while. I also seem to have lost a few different updated builds like this, but they had less features anyway (no extra power-ups, just the basics). He wanted to create a really good engine, which he did I think, but he just doesn't have time for it anymore. He's married (i think) and has life things to do I guess.

Most of what I contributed was level design stuff, which sadly was back when I didn't know what I was doing, but it was fun working with him nonetheless. If you want/need help with levels/rooms I can offer some assistance, I assure you I'm much better at that kind of thing now  :^_^:

TobiMikami

I can see that, I myself will be starting a new full time job soon until I can get into an apprenticeship, so a lot of my free time will get eaten up too, but everyone's gotta have a hobby, and this one doesn't cost anything. For some odd reason, the Version 4.0 stopped working for some time, so the work I have invested has been in 3.0, but 4.0 recently became available again, so I'm working on converting over, which won't be too bad. A lot of the level design I'm doing isn't with tilesets though. I don't much care for the Game Maker tile editor, I think it has a lot to do with starting out on SMILE. Like the Tallon Overworld themed room I'm using is actually a ROTW I won in 2014, I imported it into GIMP and started going kind of hardcore on the graphics. I plan on doing that with a lot of the development, setting everything up in SMILE and exporting the bitmap and making the alterations from there. (Especially since I opted to import the BTS blocks from SMILE as solid objects, which has been phenomenal from a design aspect.) Of course, none of this would be possible without a number of people on this community and others that have died out whose released works got used as a base for mine. All in all, our goal is to make a badass Metroid game, so why the hell not? :P

Physix

How use gimp and ps on pixel level work?  I thought they were larger and big brush sized art programs. Does it work flow smoothly? Doesn't the palette get distorted with all them brushes and blends and stuff

MollyAncalime

Quote from: Physix on June 19, 2016, 07:58:12 PM
How use gimp and ps on pixel level work?  I thought they were larger and big brush sized art programs. Does it work flow smoothly? Doesn't the palette get distorted with all them brushes and blends and stuff

I don't know as much about PS but I can certainly verify that GIMP is wonderful for pixel work. It has a pencil tool that can be configured to draw any size or shape you want without blends or anything. You can also index the image to force it to stay within a certain palette.

Dark-SA-X

How use gimp and ps on pixel level work?  I thought they were larger and big brush sized art programs. Does it work flow smoothly?

Since you do alot of pixel editing and graphic work, you should look into corel paint shop pro x7 or x8.
Also this is what I use for image editing converting files from bitmap to png and into the rom.
http://filehippo.com/download_paint_shop_pro/292/

Yes its free and it works on windows 10, but corels recent software or old software isn't compatible when newer os arrive.

@Crashtour99  Nice Music that port reminds me of Final Fantasy 7 Doomed Planet.
if you can make sure the port is more crisp so it doesn't sound likes its being drained out the current instruments.

Cpt.Glitch

TobiMikami

Quote from: MollyAncalime on June 19, 2016, 10:41:36 PM

I don't know as much about PS but I can certainly verify that GIMP is wonderful for pixel work. It has a pencil tool that can be configured to draw any size or shape you want without blends or anything. You can also index the image to force it to stay within a certain palette.
Previous versions I don't think had the 1 pixel brush, but you could still set it to 1.00 and get a 1 pixel square, then it rounds out as you increase the size, with the 1 pixel brush it stays square. Otherwise, if you set the eraser to hard edge and draw with the pencil tool it's wonderful. I started learning digital art because I started hanging out on the SuperCheats forums for Pokemon when I was like 12, and I wanted to learn to do signatures and stuff, and at 13 I sure as hell didn't have money to throw at Adobe and everyone else on SC used GIMP, so I learned what I could be taught. I still learned a lot on my own though, I'm 18 now, so that's a good 6 years of continuous use from signatures to sprites. I took a Photoshop class in high school, but I was accustomed to GIMP so I really couldn't stand it.

Quote58

Quote from: TobiMikami on June 19, 2016, 07:51:56 PM
Like the Tallon Overworld themed room I'm using is actually a ROTW I won in 2014
It's always cool to see other people making use of my/redmonkey's tilework (unless you ripped the fusion plants and put them there yourself, in which case nevermind I guess? Looks pretty similar to stuff I had released a while back), but I think you need to work on making it more 'lush'. For example here's my room that won roty 2013:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
And here's something I put together for a more tallon 4 style Super metroid tileset a while back:
[spoiler][/spoiler]