News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

General Projects Screenshots/Vids Thread

Started by Zhs2, May 15, 2009, 10:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TobiMikami

A sneak peek of the works I've been keeping under wraps for so long.

biospark

I tested my editor on stream:

https://www.twitch.tv/biosp4rk/v/72143511

Inspiration for the name came from Quietus who (jokingly?) suggested MALE (Metroid Advance Level Editor).

Quietus

@TobiMikami I love the light spill effect. :^_^:

@biospark Hehe, glad I could help. I'll take a look later on.

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: TobiMikami on June 12, 2016, 11:29:51 PM

Hmm that menu looks like something you pulled from metroid other m looks good.

Still adjusting this boss, yes you get to challenge dragoon in a 1 on 1 battle.
As you can see here, if you have the items being used, dodging him can be a abit simple or a nightmare without the right gear.

Plan on making him immuned to any missles and giving him a speed bump, to match the gravity suit and speed booster samus has.

https://youtu.be/et0-XwHVz64

Quietus

You'll also need to find a workaround for the X-ray abuse, otherwise you'll have players killing him in one round. In case you're not aware, you can charge a plasma beam shot, switch to X-ray, and then repeatedly turn it on and off. Draygon takes a hit for each frame (or so) that the beam passes through him. Instakill! :yay:

Jordan5

Quote from: Quietus on June 13, 2016, 08:29:01 AM
You'll also need to find a workaround for the X-ray abuse, otherwise you'll have players killing him in one round. In case you're not aware, you can charge a plasma beam shot, switch to X-ray, and then repeatedly turn it on and off. Draygon takes a hit for each frame (or so) that the beam passes through him. Instakill! :yay:

Shh Quietus, if he's going to make it hard we'll need to exploit X-Ray and plasma :heheh:

Dark-SA-X

Also lets not forget, things may not go the way you expect it, just because you have a plasma beam and x-ray doesn't mean you all will get away scot free.

You didn't hear that from me though.  :cool:

TobiMikami

Quote from: Quietus on June 13, 2016, 07:15:22 AM
@TobiMikami I love the light spill effect. :^_^:
Quote from: Dark-SA-X on June 13, 2016, 07:24:16 AM
It's one of my favorite aspects of this room. I'm still tossing around the idea of the Samus/Enemy interaction with the light. I want to make sure it won't seem overboard on the special effects.

Hmm that menu looks like something you pulled from metroid other m looks good.
Everything but the beams HUD is fully functional. There's 1 pixel in the energy bar for every energy unit, it's smooth as hell. There's also a secondary HUD for the Morph Ball and Power Bomb I'll show off later with some other cool stuff.

FPzero

The HUD seems a bit...big isn't it? It takes up a pretty big chunk of the screen real estate.

TobiMikami

It's for that reason I used the separate HUD for the Morph Ball

It occupies a fair amount of space, but it's actually not as cumbersome as you would think, it's actually pretty slick in-game. This is the entire HUD, since Power Bombs exist only in Morph Ball, and I've implemented the Prime-style Super Missile beam combo.

Kazuto

Quote from: biospark on June 13, 2016, 04:49:47 AM
I tested my editor on stream:

https://www.twitch.tv/biosp4rk/v/72143511

Inspiration for the name came from Quietus who (jokingly?) suggested MALE (Metroid Advance Level Editor).
This really deserves more attention.  I don't know what the state of Double Helix is, but I was always under the impression that inter was more into hacking Zero Mission than Fusion.  Nothing wrong with that, but it's cool to see somebody balance out the equation by focusing on Fusion.

I've also never really used Double Helix because I've always heard that it's had pretty bad bugs?  I'm not sure, but I'm excited for this.  I've only seen about an hour of the stream, but the features and the interface look pretty nice.  I know you said there's no ASM edits in this, but is the editor capable of modifying which rooms advance the event counter?  I mean for instances like going through the Nav room before Missiles without stopping to see the message.

biospark

Quote from: Kazuto on June 16, 2016, 02:01:45 AM
I know you said there's no ASM edits in this, but is the editor capable of modifying which rooms advance the event counter?  I mean for instances like going through the Nav room before Missiles without stopping to see the message.
I think you just answered your own question (no, it can't make any changes related to the event system). Also, there's way more than "rooms" that advance the event counter.

Kazuto

Quote from: biospark on June 16, 2016, 02:38:02 AM
I know you said there's no ASM edits in this, but is the editor capable of modifying which rooms advance the event counter?  I mean for instances like going through the Nav room before Missiles without stopping to see the message.
I think you just answered your own question (no, it can't make any changes related to the event system). Also, there's way more than "rooms" that advance the event counter.
I should rephrase my question, hah.  I didn't mean in order to actually change the event system.  I meant, to be able to modify the design of the station while still using the normal event system.  Instances where a particular event can be "skipped" by not hitting a Navigation room before triggering the next part of it.  Like, when you release door locks and you can go hear him complain at you to get moving, or you can just go grab the item.  Or how the whole section starting from getting Bombs increments the counter about 7 times before you can get to a Nav room again.  Or do those instances simply correct the counter in a way that the editor doesn't have to worry about it?

biospark

If I understand what you're saying, you don't have to worry about the optional events. That being said, making a complete hack of Fusion will be really difficult unless you know what you're doing and can preserve all the triggers for the event system.

PKstarship

Wow, that's a hack of Zero Mission, I presume? Whatever you're making, sign me up! I love Zero Mission, but it normally doesn't get nearly as much love in the hacking community as SM. Also, the fact that this seems to take elements from Metroid Prime makes it even better to me :^_^:

(tbh the only thing that bothers me is the fact that the E-Tanks are rectangular, but that's not THAT big a deal)

interdpth

Quote from: Kazuto on June 16, 2016, 02:55:33 AM
Quote from: biospark on June 16, 2016, 02:38:02 AM
I should rephrase my question, hah.  I didn't mean in order to actually change the event system.  I meant, to be able to modify the design of the station while still using the normal event system.  Instances where a particular event can be "skipped" by not hitting a Navigation room before triggering the next part of it.  Like, when you release door locks and you can go hear him complain at you to get moving, or you can just go grab the item.  Or how the whole section starting from getting Bombs increments the counter about 7 times before you can get to a Nav room again.  Or do those instances simply correct the counter in a way that the editor doesn't have to worry about it?

You'd need to know some form of ASM, and you'd need to add to whatever AI/Functions rely on the event skipped and add in a handling case. It's a little tedious, but essentially you'd just look for references to the event counter address, find a comparison for the event you want to skip. Then hook into that code and handle it. Sounds difficult, but isn't

TobiMikami

Quote from: PKstarship on June 16, 2016, 08:39:02 AM
Wow, that's a hack of Zero Mission, I presume? Whatever you're making, sign me up! I love Zero Mission, but it normally doesn't get nearly as much love in the hacking community as SM. Also, the fact that this seems to take elements from Metroid Prime makes it even better to me :^_^:

(tbh the only thing that bothers me is the fact that the E-Tanks are rectangular, but that's not THAT big a deal)
It's actually its own game :P I call it "Make Metroid Great Again" (Please don't sue me, Mr. Trump.) since I'm taking every great aspect of the Metroid series, refining it, and shoving it into the ultimate PC game. I'm restyling the sleek Zero Mission Samus into the Metroid Prime suit style, an Other M style HUD, with Prime throwbacks such as some of the icons and the beam switching, and the tileset is actually a HD redesign of my ROTW 2014 win, which was also based on the Metroid Prime Tallon Overworld. (Thanks again for that initial tileset, Quote.) I'm sure it'll be enjoyed and appreciated by many.

interdpth

Quote from: TobiMikami on June 16, 2016, 10:09:56 AM
Quote from: PKstarship on June 16, 2016, 08:39:02 AM

It's actually its own game :P I call it "Make Metroid Great Again" (Please don't sue me, Mr. Trump.) since I'm taking every great aspect of the Metroid series, refining it, and shoving it into the ultimate PC game. I'm restyling the sleek Zero Mission Samus into the Metroid Prime suit style, an Other M style HUD, with Prime throwbacks such as some of the icons and the beam switching, and the tileset is actually a HD redesign of my ROTW 2014 win, which was also based on the Metroid Prime Tallon Overworld. (Thanks again for that initial tileset, Quote.) I'm sure it'll be enjoyed and appreciated by many.

What'cha making it in

TobiMikami

Game Maker 8.0 Pro, as most do. Also enjoy these fine Samus sprites:

Jiffy

Quote from: TobiMikami on June 16, 2016, 01:38:04 PM
Game Maker 8.0 Pro, as most do. Also enjoy these fine Samus sprites:

The Varia and Phazon suits both look pretty cool. Although the Red on the Power suit could be a little more subtle, along with the Purple on the Gravity suit.  :^_^:

Kazuto

Quote from: interdpth on June 16, 2016, 09:02:19 AM
You'd need to know some form of ASM, and you'd need to add to whatever AI/Functions rely on the event skipped and add in a handling case. It's a little tedious, but essentially you'd just look for references to the event counter address, find a comparison for the event you want to skip. Then hook into that code and handle it. Sounds difficult, but isn't
I wasn't sure if the existing event skips are coded into the rooms themselves, or the doors that lead to the rooms.  Or, whether they use a table with say, event number and room number as a lookup for what value to assign to the event counter, or if they're just unique code specific to each instance.  I'm actually more curious for the general user than I am for myself.  Thanks to PJBoy's documentation, I picked up on GBA ASM in about a day.  ;)  But I don't expect the average user to know or learn any ASM.

Incidentally, I probably have you to thank for a lot of existing knowledge about Fusion/Zero Mission, too, inter.  So thank you for that!  =D

biospark

Quote from: Kazuto on June 16, 2016, 03:05:54 PM
if they're just unique code specific to each instance.
I think this is generally the case. As for optional events, it's pretty easy. It just checks if the current event is one of two values, rather than just checking one value. Then it increments accordingly.

interdpth

Quote from: Kazuto on June 16, 2016, 03:05:54 PM
Quote from: interdpth on June 16, 2016, 09:02:19 AM
I wasn't sure if the existing event skips are coded into the rooms themselves, or the doors that lead to the rooms.  Or, whether they use a table with say, event number and room number as a lookup for what value to assign to the event counter, or if they're just unique code specific to each instance.  I'm actually more curious for the general user than I am for myself.  Thanks to PJBoy's documentation, I picked up on GBA ASM in about a day.  ;)  But I don't expect the average user to know or learn any ASM.

Incidentally, I probably have you to thank for a lot of existing knowledge about Fusion/Zero Mission, too, inter.  So thank you for that!  =D

To add more to what Biospark is saying, two things might rely on an event. There could be code in the room loader, or door loader. Then code in the AI for that room. You'd need to find both instances. Sometimes the AI codes init function may also have multiple different event checks. Like TRO SAX has a room check and event check.
It's tricky if you don't know what you're looking for. But you should be able to locate it very easily just by checking for the event counter.

I'm so not sure how the sub-event counter works entirely as I think it's based on the current event and "mini-chapters" in that event

MollyAncalime

Am I allowed to be nitpicky and point out that there are small orange plates on the outer upper leg of the Power Suit, and the Phazon Suit's stomach is actually gray in-game but fluctuates to reddish and back to gray? Because that always bothers me when people forget it, haha. Don't get me wrong those sprites are slick as fuck but the Phazon Suit never has a stomach that's that red.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
See what I mean?

TobiMikami

It's not so much a matter of forgetting about it, as much as it is spectrum. The Prime model for Samus is exponentially larger than the Zero Mission Samus sprite these are based on. I don't have a palette limit, but I do have an area limit, especially with a sprite where every pixel is very sensitive to how the eye perceives the image. I COULD make it all grey-black, but it would be more...flat to say the least. As an artist, I just sort of have an eye for things, it's kind of hard to explain. Grime created a Phazon Suit IPS for Super Metroid and he also opted for the red stomach, it's just one of those things. Basically anything we draw from Prime is a conversion from 3D to 2D, and with that comes a lot of sacrifice (Along with the fact that Metroid Prime was designed by a team of professional paid digital artists) :P Despite the many, MANY attempts, no one has created a Metroid Prime 2D, we just get a little better each time.