News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

General Projects Screenshots/Vids Thread

Started by Zhs2, May 15, 2009, 10:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scooterboot9697

Quote from: FelixWright on April 05, 2016, 02:52:43 PM

Looks pretty good, though it's kinda rough.
I may need to tweak it a bit in order to make it look right when implemented. I'll edit this post with a gif picture when I'm done. :bounce:

Edit: Houston, we have a problem.

Look at where I'm shooting. The door is too "short". :neutral:

FelixWright

Now that just plain irritates me. I'm assuming I'll need to go and redo the entire design.

Any idea where I may have gone wrong?

snarfblam

Quote from: Scooterboot9697 on April 05, 2016, 04:37:37 PM
Look at where I'm shooting. The door is too "short". :neutral:

Of course it is too short, it has to extend into the corner... so extend it. You have a bigger problem IMO. Why is the diagonal door thinner? A normal door is 8 pixels wide, the diagonal one shown here is ~6.5 pixels wide.

[spoiler=Look][/spoiler]

FelixWright

I knew as soon as I started hatch animations that I fucked up the hatch. I count 8 pixels though, if you go by diagonal rows.

Scooterboot9697

Don't worry too much about it. Considering the only places I would ever use diagonal doors would be on a crashed ship-like area, I think the doors (along with the tileset that goes with it) would be entirely custom and probably look nothing like the original doors.
I'll worry about all that if and when the time comes to make such an area (which will be months(?) from now since there's still a lot to work on before I even start level design).

biospark

Physix

Zero Mission is very nicely programmed. That Zoomer movement is excellent.

FelixWright

IIRC, what's even cooler about zm is that if you destroy a block a zoomer is connected to, it checks for any blocks nearby or just falls instead of floating until blocks update again

(Edit: 100th post yay)

Quietus

This forum needs a script that runs when you hit a milestone, so you hear the item fanfare when you get a missile or whatever. :grin:

Cpt.Glitch

Betatronic

Quote from: Physix on April 02, 2016, 07:19:42 PM

Ship sprite made by Elpizo (I think?).

Wow AlexR.
"Ship sprite made by Elpizo (I think?)"
Very classy. Tokin told me you've taken your promise to stop using artwork you didn't ask permission to use to heart. I see you really stuck too that.

I am the one who made the artwork of that ship, and it was a sprite intended for private use. Perhaps the concept isn't new, but I am the originator of every pixel of that thing. It is not an edit...it is original work.

I'd appreciate you removing it from your engine, as I do not wish for you to be utilizing it, especially in light of the fact it somehow made it's way in there prior to you asking me for it.

In addition to this, I don't know how you came UPON these assets, seeing as how they WERE private, and not available on any public source (which raises alot of concerns) but if I see any more of my work end up in there somehow, I will raise issue with it.
I'll be keeping a close eye on you to make sure that nothing else of mine is used in anything you make.

FelixWright

I still don't quite understand why any of you are shitty with Physix, whom of which is taking a spin on your dead (not to mention never-released) fangame project.

FPzero

Because it's a matter of respect and privacy. Even if the project is dead, unless the artist goes out of their way to allow the use of assets from that abandoned project you should respect their wishes not to have the assets included in anything. Even if you're drawing your interpretation of someone else's property, it's still your artwork and you can choose whether or not people use it.

Not that this matters anyway because it sounds like Physix is removing it without any further complication.

Betatronic

FPZero said it pretty well.
That ship, and what I assume is a number of other art assets in the collection it appears Physix(AlexR) somehow came into possession of represent months of work and passion (which is interesting, since they basically only existed on the harddrives of a friend and I.) Unfortunately, even if our project is dead, I don't wish to see either that artwork or the projects ideas ever utilized outside of our purview.
The only thing I really can't speak for is the Samus sprite, since the base of several of those poses are for a sprite Infinity's End created, or the Submenu samus (since the guy who made those made them Public Domain. Tragically.)

Thanks for removing them, Physix. It's clear you have a certain talent for things. It'd be nice to see you pour that ability into creating your own assets. You've done an undeniably good job at fixing up that samus.

Hawntah

Quote from: FPzero on April 09, 2016, 11:07:40 AM
Because it's a matter of respect and privacy. Even if the project is dead, unless the artist goes out of their way to allow the use of assets from that abandoned project you should respect their wishes not to have the assets included in anything. Even if you're drawing your interpretation of someone else's property, it's still your artwork and you can choose whether or not people use it.
How is it any different than people using assets from Metroid games in their hacks? I'm pretty sure no one asks Nintendo for permission, and I have a feeling they wouldn't allow it if you did. Yet you have no issue with that. Double standards ftw.

FPzero

I guess it is a double standard. That doesn't mean that just because we can't or don't ask Nintendo for permission we shouldn't ask other people for their permission to use whatever resources they have created. It's just common courtesy to them.

snarfblam

The difference is that we're talking about assets made a long time ago by a large company for a commercial product that was funded by fans like us versus assets made more recently by hobbyists in our own community with whom we're generally going to try to respect and get along with. You can think it's okay to steal both, and you can think it's okay to steal neither. You can think it's okay to steal one and not the other. Those are all defensible positions. Just don't pretend they're exactly the same thing.

Personally, while I wouldn't use something without someone else's permission, I don't understand why anyone would get upset or refuse to let someone else use their assets for a released project or a project that will never be released. I prefer to release anything I finish or abandon with no rights reserved.

Zero One

Let's also consider the fact that Nintendo probably could quite easily get this whole thing shut down, if ever they were so inclined. We're basically hacking Metroid because they haven't told us to not to. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hawntah

Quote from: snarfblam on April 10, 2016, 12:05:19 PM
The difference is that we're talking about assets made a long time ago by a large company for a commercial product that was funded by fans like us versus assets made more recently by hobbyists in our own community with whom we're generally going to try to respect and get along with. You can think it's okay to steal both, and you can think it's okay to steal neither. You can think it's okay to steal one and not the other. Those are all defensible positions. Just don't pretend they're exactly the same thing.
But they are exactly the same thing. You're using someone else's work without permission. It's as simple as that. The person's identity and whether or not they are part of a large company doesn't change that fact in any way.

Personally, while I wouldn't use something without someone else's permission
You've used and modified Metroid ROMs, have you not?

Altheaas

Quote from: Betatronic on April 09, 2016, 11:13:54 AM
...or the Submenu samus (since the guy who made those made them Public Domain. Tragically.)

I'm sorry, what? It's "tragic" an artist decided to make their work Public Domain so that anybody with the skills to utilize it would be able to? Yes, that sounds so tragic. If only every artist who ever made anything decided that nobody could use their work. Imagine how much richer and more diverse the arts would be reproductions of classical works were looked down on because they're public domain. Much less Metroid edits. Nobody should be editing Metroid. There were artists who made this and we can't ask for their permission. They most certainly have not made it public domain. By that rationale, this website shouldn't even exist. The only "Metroid construction" being done should be being done by Nintendo and Nintendo alone.

Oh, oh, oh. But they're "big business" right? It's not like they're composed of a team of normal people who had to pour their heart and soul into putting these works together. That means it's "ok."

Fact is, Hawntah hit it right on the head. Appropriation of art is appropriation of art. It really doesn't matter where it came from or "who started it." The fact is, you're taking somebody's ideas, work, thoughts, concepts, etc., and modifying/appropriating/utilizing it to suit your own tastes/goals. Being a hobbyist or an indie developer does not give you a free pass. Luckily, most of the world is pretty rational and doesn't believe that you can "own" an idea.

Wirtualnosc

Quote from: Hawntah on April 10, 2016, 10:34:06 PM
But they are exactly the same thing. You're using someone else's work without permission. It's as simple as that. The person's identity and whether or not they are part of a large company doesn't change that fact in any way.
Why did you make it in first place, then? I know it's original work, but it's still based on Metroid and I assume it was supposed to be made for a fangame. Seems like a hypocrisy to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On more serious note though, I'm pretty sure Nintendo knows about all the game making and hacking being done. As far as I remember, there were smaller hacks being shut down by Square Enix. Compared to the all Nintendo games (or even just Mario games), it makes a big difference - especially when Nintendo contacts you personally about your work, about which instances I have heard (Metroid: Dreadnought). The only C&D letter from them I know about is with Super Mario Bros X (I have my own speculations onto why, though :U).

Altheaas

Quote from: Wirtualnosc on April 11, 2016, 06:46:54 AM
Quote from: Hawntah on April 10, 2016, 10:34:06 PM
I know it's original work, but it's still based on Metroid and I assume it was supposed to be made for a fangame. Seems like a hypocrisy to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, basically. It's not really original work if it's based on somebody else's concept. No matter how many Samus sprites- or any other Metroid assets for that matter- that anybody makes, it's not a completely original work because Metroid and Samus herself is not their original creation. This is simply how art works. Even Samus isn't really completely original. The suit she's in has numerous rather direct influences. Gundam, Alien, even Star Wars and various other popular entries in science fiction have influenced her development.  Even her gender was inspired by Alien's Ellen Ridley (whom the giant space lizard is named after.) Art is never 100% original.

If people have the opportunity to help new things be created, better things be created, I don't see how they can find themselves opposed to that, (especially within this community,) regardless if they didn't directly take part in the creation of said thing.

Quietus

Altheaas

Quote from: Quietus on April 11, 2016, 06:35:51 PM
Quote from: Altheaas on April 11, 2016, 04:27:02 PMAlien's Ellen Ridley
Hehe, deliberate typo is obvious. :grin:

I wondered if anyone would catch that :P

EDIT: To anyone who missed it, Sigourney Weaver's character in Alien was named Ellen Ripley. But I wasn't kidding about her serving as significant inspiration for Samus though- and considering the movie was directed by Ridley Scott (no jokes here lol,) that name probably did come from inspiration from Alien.