News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

General Projects Screenshots/Vids Thread

Started by Zhs2, May 15, 2009, 10:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Physix

Quote from: KP9000 on April 01, 2016, 03:49:52 PM
Perhaps you might think about redoing the echo in your engine entirely? I mean, it's not bad as it is in that picture, but the reason Nintendo did it the way they did in Super Metroid is because of hardware limitations. In SNES, you get repeated sprite images; echoes of Samus behind her. Now that you've got your engine handling things, perhaps you could have the echo be just one big streak off of the main sprite image? It looks like you've already got a bit of that happening off of the individual echoes. Perhaps a possibility?

The engine itself looks great! Keep it up.

I like the 1 2 3 4 5, 1 2 3 4 5 echoes approach more. It has a lot more "feeling" to it, a lot more motion. A long, continuous streak would make too many draw calls and would feel a lot more static. Despite me not having many hardware limitations, I still have to think about draw calls. Drawing around 80 additive Samus sprites on screen at once (those blurs take a lot to draw) would be a tremendous waste when I could get away with only drawing around 20.

Edit:

Quote58

Quote from: Scooterboot9697 on March 31, 2016, 09:37:18 AM
Quote from: Physix on March 31, 2016, 04:36:37 AM
Quote from: Quote58 on March 31, 2016, 01:03:11 AMExactly, that's what I'm talking about. In super metroid she fades out with the level data, because they had to do that to make it look natural. In your case, you fade the level out, but not samus. This looks really unnatural and weird, because you're still fading the level out.
It works in AM2R, why doesn't it work here?
This.
Also, how could I not fade the level out? GameMaker does not support loading two rooms at once.

Because in am2r, there are very few door tubes around. When you fade out most of the screen, having one thing not fade out can look good. But not when the one thing has another thing on top of it, then it looks kinda weird.

In physix' engine, the whole screen fades out, and looks good. In am2r, samus stays but, but since there's usually no tubes, it looks good because samus is the only thing staying. In yours, you have the tube and samus both staying. That's the problem, not that samus isn't fading or that the tubes aren't, it's that both aren't.

As for fading, I have no idea what game maker can do, the last time I tried it was about 7 years ago. If you can't load two rooms at once, then fading is perfectly fine, but in my opinion you should choose one thing to leave unfaded (I suggest the door tubes since you will presumably be having those almost every room).

passarbye

I noticed that in Fusion, samus is faded out and the doors stay, which I think works well. On other sections where the door is missing or half-broken the whole scene fades out, which most likely means that samus is never actually drawn during any transitions anyway.
Zero Mission is the same way, doors are loaded but samus is not during transitions.
Biospark might know more about this GBAtroid stuff though. ;)

I think you could do whatever you want with the transitions, as long as it isn't too jarring or weird. Samus could be shown or not, but if you load doors and samus together it might seem weird.

Scooterboot9697

(please excuse shitty gif quality.)

Hmm. I think I like it better this way too. :^_^:

This works better, because I can go through doors without hatches and still have a nice transition as apposed to the screen simply fading. It also means I could have a number of differently styled hatches and not have to worry about which type of tube is drawn.
*Cough* Lazy programming excuses. *Cough*

Physix

Ship sprite made by Elpizo (I think?).

Scooterboot9697

Diagonal doors. Useful for making Wrecked Ship-esque areas (or hell, even generic caves too).

Isn't programming just great? :^_^:

Physix

Quote from: Scooterboot9697 on April 02, 2016, 09:10:25 PM

Diagonal doors. Useful for making Wrecked Ship-esque areas (or hell, even generic caves too).

You fucking suck and your doors are bad!  :evilno: :evilno: :evilno: :evilno:

FelixWright

Quote from: Scooterboot9697 on April 02, 2016, 09:10:25 PM

Wonder how diagonal hatches are gonna look. Nice though

Scooterboot9697

Quote from: FelixWright on April 02, 2016, 09:55:03 PMWonder how diagonal hatches are gonna look. Nice though

I tried simply rotating the normal hatches, but they looked like shit. Gonna have to make custom graphics for them. :bounce:

FelixWright

The thing I experienced with diagonal GFX is that you use the exact same amount of pixels, you just place them differently.

If you'd like, I can sprite a hatch for you :)

Scooterboot9697

Quote from: FelixWright on April 03, 2016, 10:33:04 AM
The thing I experienced with diagonal GFX is that you use the exact same amount of pixels, you just place them differently.

If you'd like, I can sprite a hatch for you :)
I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to make my own, but if you really want to, go for it. :^_^:

passarbye

My god, these features you guys are throwing in look amazing.
Physix, I love the green ship light while samus is above it, casting light on her as well. The sprite is as good as the rest of what you have going on and fits well.
Scooter, I never thought about diagonal doors, but this is actually a great idea. Very versatile and many different uses.

Question to both:
Will your engine(s) be public?

Physix

Quote from: passarbye on April 03, 2016, 12:48:02 PM
Question to both:

As if it isn't already m8?

Scooterboot9697

Quote from: passarbye on April 03, 2016, 12:48:02 PMQuestion to both:
Soon. :lol:

Edit:

AM2R's auto-climb feature works decently well.

FelixWright

An update on the hatches: not done yet, but it appears that by going by exact count of pixels the original had, either one side or another will have more pixels than the other:

funny isn't it

Physix

Quote from: FelixWright on April 04, 2016, 01:42:22 PM
An update on the hatches: not done yet, but it appears that by going by exact count of pixels the original had, either one side or another will have more pixels than the other:

funny isn't it

Multiply those values by 0.70710678118
You're rotating it by 45 degrees man, diagonal lines are longer than straight lines when counted by the pixel.

Quietus

Quote from: Physix on April 04, 2016, 01:50:46 PMMultiply those values by 0.70710678118
I always remember this number from my days building Unreal Tournament maps, and having to resize the textures for diagonal use. :^_^:

FelixWright

Physix

FelixWright

Oh. I just realized how I can in fact make it symmetrical. I was about to complain about how the extra pixels don't let me balance it all in the middle, not thinking about how diags overlap in a zipper fashion

Scooterboot9697

Quote from: FelixWright on April 04, 2016, 06:42:35 PM
redesigned:

and now for the hard work

Looks great so far. :^_^:

I assume the "hard work" is the door's opening/closing animation? :bounce:

Physix

Quote from: Scooterboot9697 on April 04, 2016, 09:27:34 PM
Quote from: FelixWright on April 04, 2016, 06:42:35 PM
redesigned:

and now for the hard work

Looks great so far. :^_^:

I assume the "hard work" is the door's opening/closing animation? :bounce:

The hard work is basic arithmetic!

FelixWright

Done with the hard work. Now, for door animations.

See you tomorrow guys.