News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

General Projects Screenshots/Vids Thread

Started by Zhs2, May 15, 2009, 10:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quietus

And then refuse to let anybody else play with it. :grin:

Scyzer: "Ooh, you want some candy!"
MetConst: "Gimme, gimme, gimme!"
Scyzer: "Mine!  All mine!  Mwahahaha!"

Crashtour99

Just slopping this up here.
[spoiler]
It's only a crude and crappy mockup right now, but maybe someday it'll be a thing...[/spoiler]

Quietus

We can dream.  Then we can enjoy a bucket-load of crappy edits, followed by a handful of astounding ones that everybody'll want to use. :^_^:

FPzero

Every once in a while I like to show my friends how Samus's tiles are arranged in the rom just to prove some point about how lucky we are we aren't doing rom hacking as complicated as redrawing Samus's tiles.  With that in mind, godspeed to you if you decide to go through with it.

snarfblam

Ah, nice to see this finally happening.

SirAileron

Holy shit. That mess was half the reason I swerved away from completing that Dark Suit tile hack. The other half being that there's only one set of gfx for all of Samus's other poses, so it'd be all Dark Suit or none at all. :neutral:

[spoiler="This is all I ended up doing."]

[/spoiler]

Zhs2

That actually looks fairly awesome. Why not base a hack around it after you've put that much effort into it? (Unless that's just a mock-up, in which case mostly my mistake because you could totally import those.)

SirAileron

The camera-facing pose actually made it in, but that's because those tiles were actually neatly arranged. The side pose is a mock-up. But I still have all the reference sceenshots I scoured the net for to make some more poses for it.

Crashtour99

Ya know, I may know of a way to have the animation routine for Samus use different gfx depending on which suit you have equipped.  The only problem is that it would eat up substantial amounts of space for the extra gfx, even if you optimized it by using the same bottom half gfx for Samus between all suits (with creative palleting).  Between 4 to 8 hijacks to small snippets of code, and making a bunch of new DMA tables, then directing the DMA pointers to all the new gfx (gfx would be the hardest part  :heheh: ).

passarbye

Quote from: Crashtour99 on March 07, 2014, 04:56:02 AM
The only problem is that it would eat up substantial amounts of space for the extra gfx, even if you optimized it by using the same bottom half gfx for Samus between all suits (with creative palleting).
but why would that be a problem when we can create new banks in the rom as needed? :pwuh:
unless you're talking about existing hacks using it?

SirAileron

Adding a whole secondary profile gfx set would be a dream come true, especially since the power/varia suits technically have different armoring. Granted, I have no idea how the game calls up Samus's tiles, and that endeavor sounds like almost as much work as creating a clone engine with cleaner graphics calls.

Quote58

I'm really liking having an extra line of blocks visible

Quietus

Have you tried a full run through of the game, just to see if there are any adverse effects?  If you don't find any, then there's no reason not to use the extra lines if you want to create a custom HUD.  Since I rarely, if ever, look at the minimap, it's all good to me. :^_^:

Lunaria

Great, now all we need is someone to add in fusion suit and we can go make super fusion troid!

Quietus

A sudden infusion
of graphics transfusion
from people 'pro' Fusion
can create a profusion
of total confusion
while seeking Diffusion.

Go to it, MetConst. :cool:

Digital_Mantra

That's awesome, a whole extra row of tiles to be seen. It's a game changer (more level design!).

Quietus

It would be quite strange to play some of the older hacks too, since a lot of rooms would have just been left with flat ceilings, or misaligned tiles, because they wouldn't normally be visible. :^_^:

Black Falcon

Did someone say Fusion?
[spoiler]
A B.O.X. gone mad!

[spoiler=FAQ]
Q: Will you release it?
A: Yes, but later

Q: This isn't at all like the original! Why?
A: Because there are no ceiling grips in Super Metroid, which requires a lot of work to implement. Had to find a workaround to make the fight still interesting and somewhat fair (it is not really that balanced right now still)

Q: Why is its bomb only going into one direction and why can you shoot it?
A: I haven't coded a projectile for it yet, the bomb it is shooting right now is just a placeholder, taken from the Torizo.

Q: So it will have that awesome bomb that creates two fire blast running across the room?
A: Probably not, due to SNES hardware limitations they would probably not displayed correctly. I will think of something else for it instead.

Q: Will there be a second form that shoots missiles?
A: No.

Q: Will you make custom music for it?
A: Probably not.

Q: But you said you suck at making new enemies and bosses?
A: I owe a lot to Scyzer for explaining the special enemy format to me.
    Without her help this wouldn't have been possible at all!

Q: When will you release it?
A: Not sure, we'll see.

[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

The Monster of Surrealton

*Sees BOX in Super Metroid*

*Hyperventilates*

The Monster of Surrealton

Idea for Kraid's room.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

The Hi-Jump is behind the real one, and an E-Tank is at the door.

You enter the lower area by running through the left gap, and you'll end up on the right side like in Super Mario 2.

Quote58

Quote from: Quietus on March 12, 2014, 05:58:02 AM
It would be quite strange to play some of the older hacks too, since a lot of rooms would have just been left with flat ceilings, or misaligned tiles, because they wouldn't normally be visible. :^_^:
Yes, but even just normal super metroid has some weird things. For example I never knew that for some reason Crocs room has shot blocks in that line. Like, just randomly a shotblock every now and again. The weird thing though, is that in smile they don't appear as shotblocks at all. They're normal solid tiles, but in game you can see them get shot.

Jordan5

Quote from: Quote58 on March 12, 2014, 10:25:36 PM
Yes, but even just normal super metroid has some weird things. For example I never knew that for some reason Crocs room has shot blocks in that line. Like, just randomly a shotblock every now and again. The weird thing though, is that in smile they don't appear as shotblocks at all. They're normal solid tiles, but in game you can see them get shot.

I often hear it when you shoot diagonally in his room when going out the top door. Do you think that made them find the wrap around glitch in his room?

Quietus

No.  As far as I know the wraparound glitch was solely used in the landing site until its mechanics were figured out.  You need a room that's at least two scroll areas wide, and it only works opening a door on the left-hand side by shooting off the right-hand side.  I was one of the ones who trawled through all of the rooms testing its usefulness.  Crocomire's room was one of the more useful ones, but there were quite a few. I made a vid of one as well:
Super Metroid Speedball Wrap