News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

General Projects Screenshots/Vids Thread

Started by Zhs2, May 15, 2009, 10:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vismund Cygnus

Well, I like that your Green Brinstar looks a lot more vibrant. The backgrounds are looking a lot more detailed too, and overall better.
That being said, I'm not sure I'm that big a fan of the purple-y Brinstar palette, although the tiles looks better, that's certain.
I only have one more real complaint, and that's that some of the foreground green Brinstar bits look a bit. . . smudgy, for lack of a more descriptive word.
I don't like the flowers either, but I think that's personal preference. :P

Zhs2

Quote from: Charmander106

That left door wasn't in the original vanilla Super Metroid...  :wink:
You mean this isn't the energy room in upper Norfair?

Charmander106

It's a Brinstar energy recharge room, the room after the Dachera's(?) room.

Crashtour99

Quote from: person701 on November 05, 2013, 11:57:21 PM
Hate shoot you two down but:

<person701> let me see this Dman post...
<person701> Heh
<person701> Yea... i thought that wasn't possible without rewriting the engine.
<person701> Or parts of it.
-pointless messages snip-
<Quote58> crash and others have gone over it countless times
<Quote58> if you make it transparent, the routines that draw the level data can't keep up with it
<Quote58> and it gets all messed up where the hud was

For a visual representation, watch this...
[spoiler]http://youtu.be/uWf_Hi_H93Y?t=19m34s[/spoiler]

Quietus

It's hard to see exactly which line it's appearing on.  Would it not be possible to just shrink the vertical height of the HUD?  If I remember rightly, the HUD is four rows, so there's likely room to manoeuvre, as long as that glitching isn't appearing on the bottom part of the HUD.

Digital_Mantra

Reminds me of NES games with the horizontal lvl design lines repeating back and forth.
Ah well, I guess you can removed 1 tile from the HUD  :grin:

Charmander, your palette changes are some seamless and good that it feels like I'm playing super metroid on one of those old beat down mini color tvs.

The Monster of Surrealton

Update on NEStroid in Surrealton.

Kraid will have a gimmick of running off the screen onto the other side.

Very rough sample video. I will be adding a door at that spot where the screen stopped since the rooms appear to go either up or down, and can't do both. Also, the original elevator will be removed, and a new second one will be made to exit into another part of Brinstar.

[spoiler=Kraid test]
Metroid in Surrealton: Kraid Test
[/spoiler]

Tourian is made to be scarier. Still in the early stages.

The area is all black to give the impression the power is out, with Mother Brain's lair having a red glow from the acid for a hellish look. The escape area palettes are unchanged, to make it look like the power just popped back on for the self-destruct sequence.

More E-Tanks (will be likely 20, though after collecting 6, the rest you find will just re-fill health) than needed are placed around the entire game to function as one-time recharge stations, which is why 2 are in Tourian.

Also, the best ending will show topless Samus because...why not? The player has earned it after 28 years.

It's at the end of this video. Though, you aren't missing anything unless you like 8-bit TNA.

[spoiler=Tourian. WARNING! ENDING HAS SOMETHING YOU PROBABLY SHOULDN'T WATCH IN PUBLIC!]
Metroid in Surrealton: Tourian Test
[/spoiler]

Digital_Mantra

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on November 06, 2013, 07:05:52 PM
wtf, take her fucking panties off!

Was, but the Justin Bailey sprite appears to use bikini Samus' lower half, so JB wouldn't be wearing bottoms before losing the top, which would be kind of weird.

Digital_Mantra

Here's a little fun thing that happened.

I was testing a second elevator for Kraid (there will be 2 elevators for both Kraid and Norfair), going into an area left of the starting area, and this happened.

[spoiler]
Metroid in Surrealton: Kraid Exit Elevator Test
[/spoiler]

It altered the cave tiles in Brinstar to the mechanical ones in the normal elevator rooms, and changed those spike guys to the Kraid versions.

I think I'll leave this glitch in. I'm going to try the same thing with Norfair to see if I can turn Brinstar into bubbleland or something.

I might also try altering the elevator room tiles to the grass ones to see what happens if I do the glitch again.

Cloud20

Just a post to show beam items into Smart Cube

Subdivider

Machine Gun

Nitrogen

Combustion

That Subdivider (I assume it's the Spazer) looks amazing. Nitrogen and Combustion look like Final Fantasy 8 element icons.

advancedpillow

i didn't even know smart cube was a go.
those icons are great. the combustion icon is so simple, but it's really well done. that's good design.

Holy crap, the elevator glitch works for Norfair, and even better than Kraid's :O

[spoiler]
Metroid in Surrealton: Norfair Exit Elevator Test
[/spoiler]

It's like a bubbleland...WITH BONES.

Charmander106

Some more of Crateria, but with the other tileset.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Those darker colors look nicer, and they make Samus stand out more.

passarbye

Quietus

The CRE definitely looks better, and looks more metallic.

Charmander106

Quietus

Just out of curiosity: Are you actually building a hack with these changes?  Or are you simply doing new palettes?

Charmander106

It will just consist of graphic updates, but I want to keep it under wraps till it's release of the first version.

Digital_Mantra

Quote from: Charmander106 on November 14, 2013, 04:10:21 PM
It will just consist of graphic updates, but I want to keep it under wraps till it's release of the first version.

awww, I was really looking forward to giving super metroid a play with the new palettes and stuff.

Charmander106

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on November 14, 2013, 07:54:54 PM
Quote from: Charmander106 on November 14, 2013, 04:10:21 PM

awww, I was really looking forward to giving super metroid a play with the new palettes and stuff.

I meant to say that the hack will have graphic changes as well as palette changes(which you see in the pics), and that I want to keep the other stuff that I want to add
to be kept under wraps till after I release the first version(v1.0) of the hack. What that stuff consists of, you'll just have to wait.  :heheh: