News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

General Projects Screenshots/Vids Thread

Started by Zhs2, May 15, 2009, 10:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snarfblam

Check out the "advanced palette editor" (I think the Metroid disassembly has the function of each palette labelled). There is a series of palettes used for the fade in, and partial palettes used to swap between normal/missile/varia/missile+varia colors. The Brinstar mid-level palette swap even changes part of the sprite palettes. It can be a little confusing.

Charmander106

Here is more Super Metroid in "HD"

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Grass and other GFX still needs work.

The Monster of Surrealton

Quote from: snarfblam on October 16, 2013, 05:31:37 PM
Check out the "advanced palette editor" (I think the Metroid disassembly has the function of each palette labelled). There is a series of palettes used for the fade in, and partial palettes used to swap between normal/missile/varia/missile+varia colors. The Brinstar mid-level palette swap even changes part of the sprite palettes. It can be a little confusing.

Just tried it.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

It's amazing.  :grin:

Though, for some reason, the red on the Brinstar colors turns from dark red to red-orange upon riding the elevator back.

Apparently, you can "break" the elevator by adding an additional screen for it to move down, causing it to stop (you can likely ride it back up.) Interesting.

So interesting, I've put it into Tourian.

[spoiler=HUGE IMAGE!]

[/spoiler]

The elevator stops at the third/fourth/I forget which screen, so you have to jump down the rest of the way with no way to return to Brinstar.

Two rooms are missing because they're Kraid and Ridley's boss rooms from their respective maps, so Editroid didn't generate them. I was hoping to include boss refights, with two of each boss in the rooms, but I'm not sure if the game will allow that. Kraid's room (a duplicate room) is redesigned so you exit through the roof.

As you can see, the entire area is dark, but I used red for Mother Brain's lair as a lighting to make it like the core of terror or something.

Digital_Mantra

Charmander106, while I welcome your changes for a hack, at the same time I do strongly feel they're nothing more than one of those zsnes filters.
Yes the colors are more vibrant, and you got it right in more places than most people got it wrong, however to me, it's just some filter'esque gfx.
I've always been irked with people who play hacks with those soften filters, I think it would be funny if with your gfx, the filter does almost nothing  :lol:

Charmander106

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on October 17, 2013, 11:20:08 AM
Charmander106, while I welcome your changes for a hack, at the same time I do strongly feel they're nothing more than one of those zsnes filters.
Yes the colors are more vibrant, and you got it right in more places than most people got it wrong, however to me, it's just some filter'esque gfx.
I've always been irked with people who play hacks with those soften filters, I think it would be funny if with your gfx, the filter does almost nothing  :lol:

It does seem that way, but that's not the only thing that's gonna happen in the hack. I plan on doing more... ;)

Metaquarius

A new custom boss vid :
Yakusa Resurrection
It seems the youtube video has some frame rate issues idk for you but when Samus gets hurt, she literally dissapears. There's a bunch of fast blinking stuff that doesn't show up correctly ! Anyway, hope you enjoy.

snarfblam

I must say that's pretty god damn impressive.

Also, yes, the whole 30 hz on youtube thing can be a pain in the ass. Someone pointed me to a codec thingy that could blend even and odd frames together, which makes it look a lot better, but I had issues with the sound.

Zhs2

Quote from: IRC
20:06 <Cirnya> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvy7cltP-So mother of god
20:06 <snes> Title: Yakusa Resurrection - YouTube
20:08 <Chizuari> I want to see Metaquarius do a boss from scratch one of these days
20:08 <Chizuari> Like, fresh and fully custom-sprited
20:09 <Chizuari> That'd probably take a bit more work, but I think it's deserving of his level of practice at getting down behavioral assembly
20:09 <KentaKurodani> Metak's hack is going to refresh the community like redesign at thus rate
20:10 <MetroidMst> It would be amazing to see him do something completely custom
20:10 <Cirnya> God damn his stuff is AMAZING
le ego boost

Crashtour99

Quote from: Zhs2 on October 26, 2013, 03:00:55 PM
Quote from: IRC
*snip*
20:08 <Chizuari> I want to see Metaquarius do a boss from scratch one of these days
20:08 <Chizuari> Like, fresh and fully custom-sprited
20:09 <Chizuari> That'd probably take a bit more work, but I think it's deserving of his level of practice at getting down behavioral assembly
*snip*
20:10 <MetroidMst> It would be amazing to see him do something completely custom
This.  Though that'd probably be a LOT more work, as I have a feeling that the technique being used has to do with using one or more programs to decompile the source from Fusion, then editing that to work properly within Super.  As ports, I find them interesting, but not terribly impressive.  (I'm also wondering what projectiles had to be deleted and/or overwritten in $8D, since it has almost 0 freespace for new e/r projectile tilemaps.)

C'mon MetaK, show us some real custom stuff instead of a port from Fusion!  That would really be amazing.   :wink:

Quietus

Very impressive work, as always, Meta. :^_^:

Metaquarius

Quote from: Quietus on October 27, 2013, 03:02:18 PM
Very impressive work, as always, Meta. :^_^:
Thanks Quietus.

@snarfblam : if you have any link to that codec thing, let me know, I'll try it out.

Making a "real custom boss" would not be really much different from what I've made so far... Why not start off a topic to elaborate on your vision of a possible new SM styled boss ? And I'm sure many people here have interesting ideas to share.

Quietus

I have this idea for a boss: He's a huge flower-like head on a stalk.  He circles the room in a pattern, and periodically stops and opens his head to expose his vulnerable core.  He could also spawn some spores that float down from the top of the screen for refills.  I've played Super Metroid hundreds of times, and I've never seem a boss like that.

:oh:

Charmander106

Quote from: Quietus on October 27, 2013, 04:59:21 PM
I have this idea for a boss: He's a huge flower-like head on a stalk.  He circles the room in a pattern, and periodically stops and opens his head to expose his vulnerable core.  He could also spawn some spores that float down from the top of the screen for refills.  I've played Super Metroid hundreds of times, and I've never seem a boss like that.

:oh:

Wow... totally what I was thinking!  :whoa:

snarfblam

Quote from: Metaquarius on October 27, 2013, 03:56:47 PM
if you have any link to that codec thing, let me know, I'll try it out.

It's AviSynth, and it's scripted. iirc, I had trouble figuring out how to carry the sound over to the output, and even once I got it working I had an issue with sound de-syncing badly. I don't have the script I was using because it was on my old computer.

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Main_Page

Nikoshiba

You even made X and those X-Core things.

:whoa:

Genius.

Zephoras

[spoiler][/spoiler] sorry its so big idk how to make it any smaller  :<_<: Beside the size. I'm working on a doorless zero mission. i think its a nice warm up.

personitis

Zephoras

i was using ctrl+prtsc+paint. thanks. and meta i officially envy you "ShyGuyExpress 3 days ago
Oh yes! I can't wait to see what you do with all these bosses!"

personitis

Nothing super special.
[spoiler=Video]
HUD Hack
[/spoiler]

Digital_Mantra

You know what I'm thinking? With all these HUD hacks being made, how about getting rid of the blackness, so the above 2 tiles of lvl design can be seen. That would be amazing.

Vismund Cygnus

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on November 05, 2013, 11:17:38 PM
You know what I'm thinking? With all these HUD hacks being made, how about getting rid of the blackness, so the above 2 tiles of lvl design can be seen. That would be amazing.
Seconded. Even if you could condense the HUD to a smaller square (maybe remove the minimap, seeing as it's so small you can hardly see anything on it anyway). That'd be a pretty cool thing to have, extending your field of view and stuff. My enemy placement would suddenly almost seem fair!  :grin:

personitis

Hate shoot you two down but:

<person701> let me see this Dman post...
<person701> Heh
<person701> Yea... i thought that wasn't possible without rewriting the engine.
<person701> Or parts of it.
-pointless messages snip-
<Quote58> crash and others have gone over it countless times
<Quote58> if you make it transparent, the routines that draw the level data can't keep up with it
<Quote58> and it gets all messed up where the hud was

Charmander106

Another before and after shot of Green Brinstar, now with a bit more detail in the backgrounds, not much in the last two though. I hope to have some new stuff next time.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Also...

That left door wasn't in the original vanilla Super Metroid...  :wink: