News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

General Projects Screenshots/Vids Thread

Started by Zhs2, May 15, 2009, 10:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metaquarius

Is this real or just a dream nightmare ?

Zebesian Nightmare

Enjoy  :^_^:

Zhs2

Awesome, but do you have many plans past porting only Fusion bosses? If you could into an SM-styled boss with completely custom behavior, that would be nothing short of amazing. I bet these are some pretty fun experiments you've got going on, though. Keep up the good work.

Metaquarius

Quote from: Zhs2 on March 09, 2013, 05:28:48 AM
If you could into an SM-styled boss with completely custom behavior, that would be nothing short of amazing.
If you intend to give me a hand to make custom SM sprite art, why not ?  :awesome:

squishy_ichigo

See, the Serris fight wasn't so bad, because the art styles didn't clash as much, but Nightmare stands out WAAAAY more.

I will commend you for a job well done porting bosses, but to be used at all without looking bad, you'll definitely want to do sprite work.

This is what I call constructive criticism! :P

edit: Unless of course I am just missing something, like it being used with zm/f tiles but with the sm engine, in which case carry on!

Katelyn

Quote from: squishy_ichigo on March 09, 2013, 01:15:45 PM
edit: Unless of course I am just missing something, like it being used with zm/f tiles but with the sm engine, in which case carry on!
And then Samus will look like total shit throughout the hack.

Quietus

I'd agree that it stands out, but it would depend on how things are built around it.  In a hack with different tilesets, which are becoming more common, it'd fit right in.  What we really need is some progress on editing Samus.

Either way, great work Meta. :^_^:

passarbye

very nicely done. finally a boss that makes you move around!

SirAileron

I'm ever-impressed by how you're cramming these bosses into Super Metroid. Excellent rendition of Nightmare (though Plasma was had at the time of the fight, so you could shoot through the arms).

The biggest criticism I have, though, is about the music. It's 90% there, but the bass melody you have is of a major note progression, and not a minor one, which was what the original song had. And it really hurts to hear that clash with the harmonics of the song. If that's an easy change, I'd beg you to have that fixed. >_>;

Metaquarius

Thanks.
Yeah, building a fully functional boss was priority one, gba metroid tilesets can be easily added later. Editing Samus ? Sounds like an overwhelming challenge to me, enough to make me loose my sanity once for all. :pale:
Maybe some uber dude like Crashtour can do it. That would be amazing. :yay:

Crashtour99

Quote from: Metaquarius on March 10, 2013, 05:39:31 AM
Editing Samus ? Sounds like an overwhelming challenge to me, enough to make me loose my sanity once for all. :pale:
Maybe some uber dude like Crashtour can do it. That would be amazing. :yay:
I don't know about uber, but really editing Samus' gfx and tilemaps isn't hard.  Just time consuming and tedious.  Only need to know what info to look for and where to find it.  (which reminds me, I should really write up that doc/guide sooner or later)

Meta, I'm hoping that with all these Fusion bosses you might be planning a Fusion version of Super Zero Mission (without Fusion's silly linearity and Robo-Adam telling you what to do).   :yay:

Also of note, ledge grabby slidy wall jump has been significantly delayed.  Not only because of heavy workload at work (so not much time for hax atm) but because it seems the walljump pose (where Samus has her feet on the wall) is merely a transitional pose and has no code of it's own.  That severely complicates things.  As a work around I thought I'd just have it put Samus into the wall grip pose (like when she's attached to a wall grapple block).  This turns out to have it's own problems.  As a result I'm now disassembling and documenting all of grapple's code in $9B in an attempt to understand just wtf it's doing and why...
Long project is long.   :neutral:

Lunaria

Quote from: Crashtour99 on March 10, 2013, 06:41:33 AMI don't know about uber, but really editing Samus' gfx and tilemaps isn't hard.  Just time consuming and tedious.  Only need to know what info to look for and where to find it.  (which reminds me, I should really write up that doc/guide sooner or later)
I'd make some samus modifications myself if I could get a darn guide at how everything attaches, where the animation flows, and what tiles lines up with what other tiles for that frame. :S

Graphical editing will take time, sure, but unless this is documented I'll have no feasible way to do it.

Quietus

Yeah, I was referring to the likes of SMUSE, where an editor would remove the tedium of figuring out what the hell goes with what.

Metaquarius

Quote from: Quietus on March 10, 2013, 01:45:15 PM
Yeah, I was referring to the likes of SMUSE, where an editor would remove the tedium of figuring out what the hell goes with what.
Has SMUSE ever been in the works ? :neutral:

Quietus

I would guess not.  If you check the end of that thread, you'll see that Nu Zalem has not completely disappeared, yet nothing more has ever been added to the thread.  We can hope. :^_^:

Damski

Quote from: Metaquarius on March 09, 2013, 11:50:09 AM
Quote from: Zhs2 on March 09, 2013, 05:28:48 AM
If you could into an SM-styled boss with completely custom behavior, that would be nothing short of amazing.
If you intend to give me a hand to make custom SM sprite art, why not ?  :awesome:

I have Zeta metroid sprites for Snes but the animation is pretty shitty. I have walking, Jumping, fire shooting and breath sprites. This is old  piece and I should improve it.

Crashtour99

If you're interested I could send you the gfx for the much improved space pirates I was planning on making (they've been bumped down the list in favor of engine mods and other asm stuffs).  The hands and arm blade thingies still need work though.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
I had a preliminary plan on how to do the AI, including different attacks based on range from Samus, rudimentary path finding, etc.  Just never got around to working on any of it yet.  Could be an interesting collaboration.   :^_^:

Damski

Quote from: Crashtour99 on March 14, 2013, 05:12:25 AM
If you're interested I could send you the gfx for the much improved space pirates I was planning on making (they've been bumped down the list in favor of engine mods and other asm stuffs).  The hands and arm blade thingies still need work though.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
I had a preliminary plan on how to do the AI, including different attacks based on range from Samus, rudimentary path finding, etc.  Just never got around to working on any of it yet.  Could be an interesting collaboration.   :^_^:

:D That is pretty awesome new enemy! I hope you guys collab!

Metaquarius

Hum.... all of these are not what I would call SM-styled boss per se. :cool:

Crashtour, your space pirate looks... a bit weird for my liking. No offense.

Zeta Metroid is great but it will stand out in-game as well. Animation really needs to reworked. Really. But this might be interesting to build the complete range of Metroid evolutions in SM. Guess what could be done with them !

Benki

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
I'm working on a demo. It's going pretty good atm.

Lunaria

That looks pretty darn snazzy Benki! I really like the palette work done here! :3

Zhs2

If I may dare to ask, what exactly are you demonstrating? If it's your personal hack, then I must say I agree with Crys, and I like the little tile changes here and there for flavor.

Quietus

I'm really liking your work, Benki.  You seem to have a great grasp of what looks good with what, and it's not always as easy as it sounds. :^_^:

Benki

Quote from: Zhs2 on March 27, 2013, 05:04:55 AM
If I may dare to ask, what exactly are you demonstrating?
My personal hack.

Quote from: Crys on March 27, 2013, 02:15:40 AM
That looks pretty darn snazzy Benki! I really like the palette work done here! :3
Quote from: Quietus on March 27, 2013, 07:00:12 AM
I'm really liking your work, Benki.  You seem to have a great grasp of what looks good with what, and it's not always as easy as it sounds. :^_^:
Thanks.  :^_^:

EDIT: I will not post a topic in the Super Metroid section until my work is close to completion.

A_red_monk_called_Key

i'm almost done with the west criteria GFX set. (needs more green)

Sorry no clear images before release