News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

General Projects Screenshots/Vids Thread

Started by Zhs2, May 15, 2009, 10:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

personitis

The babies! Aww crap... <_< >_>

At this rate, I'm expecting bubble Norfair to be made out of the squishy outer parts of a Metroid as well. Though, who's to say they aren't already?

Physix

0nly map is done :(((((  :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :cry: :cry: :sad: :sad: :pale: :pale:

Quietus

Quote from: Cpt.Glitch on March 08, 2016, 11:14:57 PM
Metwoon!
Hehe, the last Metroid (which was in captivity) is like "I don't want to follow you guys, but I can't stop myself!" :^_^:

Physix

Physix

FPzero

That is a really nice Samus sprite. Would love to see the Varia and Gravity Suit ones once you have them finished.

Quietus

I'm trying to picture how the hell Samus fills that suit. :whoa:

Retroo

Spike bomb and Blast missile? Interesting.

Scooterboot9697

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAQ8NY3vc70

Now time for menu screens and stuff. And I need to (re)make Grapple, make X-Ray, water physics, overhaul the map, and lots of other fun stuff. :colonrightv:

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?
.. Questions? (Anything other than asking for a release date of course.) :bounce:

(Edit: And for whatever reason you can't watch the vid at 60fps, cuz there's no HQ selection. I'm trying to resolve this issue. Stupid YouTube.)
(Edit 2: Mmmmkay. It should be fine now. Watch in HD to your hearts content.)

Quote58

This is really fantastic! Notes:
-entering rooms looks kinda weird because samus simply appears. In super metroid, her palette starts out dark and has a gradient to bring it back to the previous brightness, to match the level data being black and moving to normal brightness. Now, in super metroid, this was likely done because they had to black out the level data as they couldn't load two entire tilesets at once. So to make it blend nicely and look natural, they had samus black out along with it. Your engine however doesn't have to have that limitation, so if you have it not black out the level data, then samus can keep the palette right through, otherwise I suggest doing what nintendo did to make it look natural.
-rad morph ball
-please, please, PLEASE remove that blue line under the HUD. It looks really out of place
-dat power grip <3

I think this is probably the best metroid engine I've ever seen (I'm a little biased since I prefer super metroid artstyle and movement over am2r's style/physics). I can't wait to see what happens with it in the future.

Scooterboot9697

Quote from: Quote58 on March 30, 2016, 11:28:29 PM
-entering rooms looks kinda weird because samus simply appears. In super metroid, her palette starts out dark and has a gradient to bring it back to the previous brightness, to match the level data being black and moving to normal brightness. Now, in super metroid, this was likely done because they had to black out the level data as they couldn't load two entire tilesets at once. So to make it blend nicely and look natural, they had samus black out along with it. Your engine however doesn't have to have that limitation, so if you have it not black out the level data, then samus can keep the palette right through, otherwise I suggest doing what nintendo did to make it look natural.
-rad morph ball
-please, please, PLEASE remove that blue line under the HUD. It looks really out of place
-dat power grip <3

I think this is probably the best metroid engine I've ever seen (I'm a little biased since I prefer super metroid artstyle and movement over am2r's style/physics). I can't wait to see what happens with it in the future.

-What do you mean "Samus simply appears"? She slides from one end of the screen to the other, with the door sliding over as well, but layered over her. She never fades out, and her palette never changes. I honestly don't know what you're talking about.
-Thank you. Physix sprited the Morph Ball (though, I added the glowy-light effect.)
-Yeah, I'll remove the blue line. It does seem out of place now that I think about it.
-Yes. Dat Power Grip. :^_^:

Physix

Quote from: Scooterboot9697 on March 31, 2016, 12:01:12 AM
-What do you mean "Samus simply appears"? She slides from one end of the screen to the other, with the door sliding over as well, but layered over her. She never fades out, and her palette never changes. I honestly don't know what you're talking about.
-Thank you. Physix sprited the Morph Ball (though, I added the glowy-light effect.)
-Yeah, I'll remove the blue line. It does seem out of place now that I think about it.
-Yes. Dat Power Grip. :^_^:

I copied it all by myself!  :cool:

Quote58

-rad morph ball
-dat power grip <3

She never fades out, and her palette never changes. I honestly don't know what you're talking about.

Exactly, that's what I'm talking about. In super metroid she fades out with the level data, because they had to do that to make it look natural. In your case, you fade the level out, but not samus. This looks really unnatural and weird, because you're still fading the level out.

Physix

Quote from: Quote58 on March 31, 2016, 01:03:11 AM
-rad morph ball
-dat power grip <3

She never fades out, and her palette never changes. I honestly don't know what you're talking about.

Exactly, that's what I'm talking about. In super metroid she fades out with the level data, because they had to do that to make it look natural. In your case, you fade the level out, but not samus. This looks really unnatural and weird, because you're still fading the level out.

It works in AM2R, why doesn't it work here?

FelixWright

in AM2R, the morphball has a turning animation (similar to turning samus as she is standing). I'd really like to see that in one of these SM-Style metroid engines.

Scooterboot9697

Quote from: Physix on March 31, 2016, 04:36:37 AM
Quote from: Quote58 on March 31, 2016, 01:03:11 AMExactly, that's what I'm talking about. In super metroid she fades out with the level data, because they had to do that to make it look natural. In your case, you fade the level out, but not samus. This looks really unnatural and weird, because you're still fading the level out.
It works in AM2R, why doesn't it work here?
This.
Also, how could I not fade the level out? GameMaker does not support loading two rooms at once.
And I wanted Samus to still be visible because it looks cool. Though, I could probably get rid of the door animation and it might look better.

Quote from: FelixWright on March 31, 2016, 09:03:09 AM
in AM2R, the morphball has a turning animation (similar to turning samus as she is standing). I'd really like to see that in one of these SM-Style metroid engines.
Hmmm. Yes...

Physix, could you pretty please sprite something like dis for me? :nod:
(Or I could try making it myself, but I think we both know how that would turn out. :bounce: )

FelixWright

What I notice being done with this whole "fading" argument is that ingame all the little glowy bits on samus' armor (mainly the visor) never really fade, but the rest of samus does. It'd require more to code, but I think that'd be a neat feature to add to certain doors that lead to dark rooms or caves.

Physix

Samus has spooky ghoasts following her :O

Scooterboot9697

While your trail effects are definitely prettier, I like to think of mine as more... "realistic". :colonrightv:

:^_^:

Physix

Quote from: Scooterboot9697 on March 31, 2016, 10:09:17 PM
While your trail effects are definitely prettier, I like to think of mine as more... "realistic". :colonrightv:

IT'S SHIT! YOU'RE SHIT!  :evilno: :evilno: :evilno: :evilno: :evilno: :evilno: :evilno: :evilno:

FelixWright

Yo @Physix

I pulled up your old engine, and noticed something:

shinesparking between water and air does not make any splishy splashies.

You should totally add that.

Physix

Quote from: FelixWright on April 01, 2016, 02:29:24 PM
shinesparking between water and air does not make any splishy splashies.

You should totally add that.

You mean this?

It looks better in motion, I guess.

KP9000

Perhaps you might think about redoing the echo in your engine entirely? I mean, it's not bad as it is in that picture, but the reason Nintendo did it the way they did in Super Metroid is because of hardware limitations. In SNES, you get repeated sprite images; echoes of Samus behind her. Now that you've got your engine handling things, perhaps you could have the echo be just one big streak off of the main sprite image? It looks like you've already got a bit of that happening off of the individual echoes. Perhaps a possibility?

The engine itself looks great! Keep it up.