News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

General Projects Screenshots/Vids Thread

Started by Zhs2, May 15, 2009, 10:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scyzer

I decided to make a thing!

[spoiler=Red Slopes! :D]
These slopes work exactly the same as green slopes, but can be destroyed if a block or another red slope that is touching them is destroyed (such as a shot/bomb block, or PB blocks). Moved some other slopes around a bit to make room for them, and added a "blank" slope to BTS $00, which acts like air.
[spoiler=PS]
RF support for these slopes only applies to Seraphim at this stage, so no one needs to worry about the slope display being all weird for normal hacks.
[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Quietus

That's pretty cool, and it certainly provides more flexibility with building more realistic rooms, rather than having anything that may be destroyed as straight lines.

Smiley

You could call this "proof of concept" for something you won't see in a long time, but still probably before Fear.
[spoiler]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41p428EMWZw&feature=youtu.be[/spoiler]

Zephoras

Black Falcon

[spoiler]
Vertical Mapscroll
[/spoiler]

Just something quick I've done (map is also just quickly drawn)
Normally the map consists of a 2x1 area, with a small tweak (thanks to Scyzer for helping me on this) it is possible to turn it into an 1x2 area.
I've outlined the borders to know where I had to stop the map scroll (done with emulator cheats, lol)
Of course, the map icons are thus drawn incorrectly, but that can be fixed later.
Overall it nicely breaks up the old scheme of Super Metroid maps.  :^_^:
Maps are still edible like normal, whereas the right half of the map you see in SMILE will be drawn beneath the left one.
Working on a public patch that lets you choose which region map to fit into a 1x2 area instead of a 2x1 one.
Not sure when it will be done though.

Quietus

That's pretty nifty, and certainly grants more creative freedom (Grime's Rise springs to mind, as I'm sure he said that the hack had you always heading upward - hence the name).  Either way, that blipping noise needs nerfing. :^_^:

Metaquarius

@BlackFalcon, that's a good idea you got there, keep up.  :^_^:

This one was really hard to make but Ridley-X is finally done ! I think his behavior is quite close to the original but I let you judge :

Dragon Ridley-X

Kitsune_Phoenix

*deleted post*

Black Falcon

Quote from: Metaquarius on February 01, 2014, 04:11:02 AM
@BlackFalcon, that's a good idea you got there, keep up.  :^_^:

YOU TELL ME TO KEEP UP SIMPLE ASM WHEN YOU MAKE SUPER AWESOME BOSSES ALL THE TIME!!!
Nah just kidding.

But seriously how do you do that. You've probably heard this many times, but you really don't talk much about it.
Instead you show us one amazing boss after another after a relatively long break.
Dunno if you watched my video about my attempt to program a boss. I've quickly given up because I have no idea how to do it at all. Even looking into existing bosses' AI didn't really do anything.
Could you at least give us some tips? I know there's no competition between hacks, nonetheless slowly but surely seeing awesome stuff like this makes me feel kinda dumb, considering I've also spent years to learn asm and still don't understand everything. Also why should I make a hack when someone else made something so incredibly awesome that makes mine look cheap? No offense, that's just my opinion. Anyhow, that doesn't mean that you shouldn't keep up doing what you can do best.  :^_^:
Still can't wait to play your hack, even though that'd probably kill all my remaining motivation...

Mon732

That Ridely can't seriously be using 16 colours... Can it? It looks so, HD...

I did notice that the animations and music are slightly different to fusion but I think how they are now fits the super metroid engine quite well.

advancedpillow

@black falcon:
Dont get discouraged! Your stuff is amazing and I'm really excited about your work.

Kitsune_Phoenix

*deleted post*

passarbye

Metaquarius: very nice ridley-x, probably even better than the original because it doesn't constantly scream at you.

Zhs2

The part I find most impressive is that you put together the music in Super Metroid itself this time, given the instrumentation. Nice work!

Smiley

That's really cool, no doubt about it. I'm really liking your work!

But still... a port is just a port.

Quietus

I'm beginning to think that Metaquarius should just recode the entirety of Super Metroid, then we'll just hack what's left. :^_^:

Seriously, though: :whoa:

Zhs2

Quote from: QuietusI'm beginning to think that Metaquarius should just recode the entirety of Super Metroid, then we'll just hack what's left.
That ought to shut up everyone who complains that nobody hacks Fusion.

Crashtour99

Pretty good stuff there MetaK.
Just a few critiques on Ridley-X.
1) The music tempo seems a bit slow.  I don't know if it's just the game recording/playback or something, but it doesn't seem fast enough to match the pace of the fight.
2) Ridley's tail bounce moves a bit too fast horizontally.  If you look, the end of his tail actually drags across the floor instead of him immediately bouncing back up.

That said, any chance of showing us a completely custom boss any time soon?   :wink:  Ports are nice and all, but originality is what REALLY wows people.  lol

Metaquarius

Thx for the comments.  :^_^:

Quote from: Black Falcon on February 01, 2014, 07:28:07 AMBut seriously how do you do that
The answer to how do you do a custom boss is the same to how do you do a fullhack : start out small (ie making simple enemies) and then try out bigger. Nobody told me how to do things but Keyjardon's docs were a great help to me in the beginning and as well as looking into existing bosses' AI : for example, my Omega Metroid was based on Crocomire, would you believe that ? :grin:

Quote from: Black Falcon on February 01, 2014, 07:28:07 AMAlso why should I make a hack when someone else made something so incredibly awesome
I'd say it all depends on your motivation(s) and dedication as a hacker. People have proven to build excellent hacks in the years that followed Redesign release in 2006. Redesign was way ahead its time and even then, hackers weren't discouraged but on the contrary, that did keep their interest growing. I hope the same applies here.

@Crashtour99 : Yeah, the music tempo may be a tad slow. Concerning the bounce moves, this is a deliberate choice since Super Samus is moving faster than Fusion Samus, I reckon Ridley-X has to be moving faster too.
This is not the first time you're speaking of "completely" custom boss but right now, my concern is to implement Fusion bosses in SM. All of them. :D!:

Quote58

That's a good point about redesign, and it applies to hacks in general. Every once in a while a hack comes out that is mind blowing in one way or another. And yes, it can be discouraging. Thinking wow, I wish I could do that, but they're way better so why should I bother trying. But that's a part of life, and a if you're really passionate about hacking chances are you'll get over it. Now, with regard to Black Falcon and bosses. Black Falcon is an incredibly skilled hacker, but he doesn't know how to make bosses. Metak is also a very skilled hacker and /does/ know how to make bosses. So I don't see why he can't help Black Falcon understand how bosses work??

"...my concern is to implement fusion bosses in sm. All of them" <--More fucking power to ya buddy. I was hoping to be the first person to do that but seeing what you've done with them, I'm totally fine with you beating me to it. That's a damn fine job you've done there and I can't wait to see the rest of those bosses in sm! Sure a custom boss would be impressive, but adding a whole bunch of well made bosses into sm that we already know make good bosses??? Sounds pretty rad to me.

Now, it's 4:45 am for me, so now I away!

Kitsune_Phoenix

*deleted post*

Quietus

Some of those sound close to being better than the originals. :^_^:

passarbye

Kitsune_Phoenix

*deleted post*

Parabox

Then I realised that Super Metroid for Sega Genesis was really something I wanted. Some of the Genesis music reminds me of DKC. Man, I should really get to replaying those.