News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] [ASM] selective walljump bts?

Started by silverpaw84, July 31, 2011, 03:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverpaw84

I have searched the forums, docs, patches, google, etc. for this and cannot find it anywhere. I want to disable walljumping on certain blocks, such as ice or someplace where Samus would not be able to get traction. I have seen this implemented somewhere, but for the life of me I cant remember where. Its almost like a backwards Redesign walljump, where instead of only jumping on certain walls, you CANNOT jump on certain walls. I think it involved blocks with a certain BTS value... Any help would be much appreciated. I can do hex but cant make my own asm or I would have made it by now

Crashtour99

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18141148/website/ASM/Walljump.asm
Original code by Kejardon (probably for Redesign), provided to us by Black Falcon.

In the asm file you'll see:
BEQ ALLOWJUMP

I think all you need for it to act like you want is to change it to:
BNE ALLOWJUMP

This would mean that any solid blocks with a BTS of 10 you would not be able to wall jump off of.  I haven't tested it, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

silverpaw84

Sounds legit. Im away from my computer, but will post results when time allows. Any one else with ideas, id love to hear them. How do i edit the .asm? In a text editor?

Charmander106

Yes, any text editor that does not allow any formatting in the .asm document. For windows you can use Notepad....

Qactis

Notepad++ makes .asm files all colorful and awesome

Charmander106

I was gonna suggest that too, but I wasn't sure....

silverpaw84

Quote from: Qactis on July 31, 2011, 06:34:51 PM
Notepad++ makes .asm files all colorful and awesome
I was just about to ask about that. I removed notepad completely and replaced it with ++. Windoze is teh fail

silverpaw84

OK results time... It does not work  :sad: I did exactly what you said, patched with xkas, nothing. I removed the text "ALLOWJUMP", nothing, Changed block to Air, fool x-ray, froze zsnes. All with BTS 10... Suggestions?

Charmander106

You weren't supposed to remove the "ALLOWJUMP", you were to change the "BEQ ALLOWJUMP" to "BNE ALLOWJUMP"...

silverpaw84

Quote from: Webber1900 on July 31, 2011, 08:27:40 PM
You weren't supposed to remove the "ALLOWJUMP", you were to change the "BEQ ALLOWJUMP" to "BNE ALLOWJUMP"...
I did do JUST that... When that didn't work, I improvised. But, knowing nothing of ASM, it was a shot in the dark  :neutral:

Scyzer

Check if the rom actually patched at all. Go to 87640 in a hex editor, and you should see AD C4 0D AA BF 02 64 7F.... blah blah. If it's all FF, then the rom wasn't patched. If it's something else entirely, then you've already got data at that location from using another patch, and applying this one without repointing it will break that other patch anyway.

silverpaw84

Dual monitors made that so much easier ^.^

Was not patched. I did what the patches page said... have ROM, ASM, and xkas in same folder, drag ASM to xkas, click "yes" (although it didnt ask, just flashed command prompt for a sec and was done) Does this have something to do with it?

EDIT: Heres a pic of the prompt I managed to snag if it helps. They have the same names. They didn't the first time, but I changed it and it still didn't work

Charmander106

Why not try the GUI version of xkas? You can download it on the Super Mario World Central Tools section of the site.

Download Here...

silverpaw84

Quote from: Webber1900 on July 31, 2011, 09:14:34 PM

Why not try the GUI version of xkas? You can download it on the Super Mario World Central Tools section of the site.

Download Here...
It works! I don't know why the GUI works, and I don't care. For those who were wondering, this worked and prevents walljumping on any surface you see fit, by dragging a BTS of 10 to it

\Thanks all!

Crashtour99

Figured it'd be a patching issue.  I always seem to have problems with the command line version, so the GUI makes things a lot easier.  Glad it's workin for ya.

Qactis

I'm too lazy to switch programs I've been doing this since idk how long:

Testroid.bat :
xkas myasmfile.asm Testroid.smc
@pause

P.JBoy

We're all using the correct version of xkas right?  That file requires the v0.1x series

silverpaw84

Quote from: P.JBoy on August 01, 2011, 12:49:09 PM
We're all using the correct version of xkas right?  That file requires the v0.1x series

I used exactly what Webber linked to >.>

Qactis