News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid: Tallon IV - CLOSED FOR CONSTRUCTION

Started by silverpaw84, July 27, 2011, 01:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

personitis

Looin' good man! :yay: Is there a patch I'm missing with Samus death animation being Zero Suit? 'Cause I like it.

Qactis

Looking good like the blue suit it's pretty snazzy. Need a LOT more slopes and the ice area could be a thousand times better but you're going places

silverpaw84

Quote from: person701 on August 03, 2011, 02:58:55 PM
Looin' good man! :yay: Is there a patch I'm missing with Samus death animation being Zero Suit? 'Cause I like it.

There is indeed a patch (.ips) It's @ http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,145.240.html, page 13, halfway down, Project XVIII made it

-EDIT-
I'm really liking the 2nd gfx set for my Phendrana region, and I royally screwed up my ROM trying to make a new tileset (Yay backups!)... How does this look for ice / snowy?

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I would like it noted, the left pic is showing ice, where you cannot walljump. The right is rough ice/snow/rocky ice/ whatever where you can

Quietus

I suspect that the reply you'll get for those colours will involve people's eyes and bleeding.  They're very, very bright.  Convincing snow / ice is achieved by the shading emphasising the whiteness, not just brightness caused by the white parts themselves.

silverpaw84

Quote from: Quietus on August 04, 2011, 07:50:31 AM
I suspect that the reply you'll get for those colours will involve people's eyes and bleeding.  They're very, very bright.  Convincing snow / ice is achieved by the shading emphasising the whiteness, not just brightness caused by the white parts themselves.

You see now why I need glasses...

Bashing my own work FTW

FullOfFail

Yeah, that ice just doesn't look right. I think it's the tileset in general, ice usually doesn't have that kind of rocky formation. Even if it were rocks frozen over, it'd still be alot slicker looking. On the bottom left pic however, the mold/grass part would look good colored white and used for snow. For the rest, I'd say customize the tileset using 'tile layer pro' and mix tiles from other areas. A common one people use is the green statue room tileset recolored, but I'm sure there's many possibilities.

Qactis

Maridia makes way better ice areas. Also, http://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/SuperNES/Demon%27sCrest-Mountains-IceCrevasse.png and http://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/SuperNES/ActRaiser2-LovaousPalace.png would be cool. I plan on ripping the actraiser 2 one after my current project.

http://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/SuperNES/ActRaiser-Fillmore-Act-2.png Ripping this right now and the bottom layer of rocks underwater (blue-ish silt with a white palette would make some decent snow covered rocks. Tile editor to add snow to the pillars or rocks and you'd be good to go.

silverpaw84

Well thanks to those who are trying to help. It means alot to actually have support, but I have tried to use TLP and YY-CHAR and I can do decent work as far as CRE, but a whole tileset is beyond me. I tried importing "so alien" tileset, following instructions from the forum, and bricked my entire ROM, twice, after an hour of work. HOWEVER, thanks to Blarget2, This is what I am dealing with now, and I am not changing it

-EDIT- OK he deleted the picture, but it looks amazing... Trust me

Blarget2

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
you mean these?
sorry about that i was organizing things.

Charmander106

Nice Ice tileset, kinda hurts my eyes but that's probably just me...  :lol:

Qactis

Actually the tileset looks pretty decent now. It's the doors and blast shields that I think are way too bright

silverpaw84

Quote from: Qactis on August 05, 2011, 03:56:05 PM
It's the doors and blast shields that I think are way too bright

personitis

The door's colors are actually kind of dull compared to the bright foreground. It's the background bringing out the door's just barely too bright IMO.

silverpaw84

OK well progress is going to be rather slow for a little while, so I've decided to dump what I have so far. This is NOT a beta release, I'm just sharing what I have.
What to collect, in order:
[spoiler]missile
charge beam
morph ball
bomb
spazer beam
varia suit[/spoiler]

Quantities:
[spoiler]E-tanks: III
Missile: XIII
Reserve: I[/spoiler]

Known bugs:
[spoiler]Chozo Ruins (Brinstar) main shaft still has bg glitch, working on fix
Map displays garbage instead of area names. FIXED
Random music (last thing I'll change)
HUD overlays missile icon with beam icon (linux and ZSNES)
Unfinished rooms: Get out of SMILE! I work strangely, so what[/spoiler]

This is the absolute end:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Share your findings if you want. Offer some help, bash my work, all is welcome here :^_^:

silverpaw84

Dropping some eyecandy
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Katelyn

- The first image needs some tile variation. Throw in some other tiles in the mix.
- On your Crateria pictures, I recommend using fade out tiles. Like this.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
- Need more detail
- Your 5th picture's background is boring as fuck. Crateria never really had good bg tiles, but that's just filler. You did fine on the second image though. :/
Overall, you're doing just fine. Just keep working at it and you'll be able to pool out very good rooms in no time!  :huzzah:

silverpaw84

Quote from: Vaelstrom on August 21, 2011, 01:32:40 PM
- The first image needs some tile variation. Throw in some other tiles in the mix.
That was the first room I built, but that's still no excuse. ALL my rooms are getting constant facelifts when I either don't have a lot of time to build an entire room or the creativity. I haven't gotten to that one yet
Quote from: Vaelstrom on August 21, 2011, 01:32:40 PM
- Your 5th picture's background is boring as fuck.
I hadn't noticed that before. Changing next time I get time to work on it. Brohoof for noticing

-EDIT- Fixxd

[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Charmander106

It looks good for a new comer, but I think they all could use a little bit more work, I know that your gonna be doing that anyways.... but like I said, it is very good, keep it up and don't let this die....

Parabox

You're one of a group of increasingly more people that knows their way around the (almost) vanilla Wrecked Ship tileset. Sweet stuff, dudebro.

silverpaw84

Quote from: Parabox on August 23, 2011, 01:58:44 AM
You're one of a group of increasingly more people that knows their way around the (almost) vanilla Wrecked Ship tileset. Sweet stuff, dudebro.
I must say im surprised. Thanks. WS actually gives variety, even though i hate it