News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Getting into LP's...

Started by X-tradyte, July 23, 2011, 12:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

X-tradyte

I'm thinking of doing LP's, but what I need first, would be a good recording device, what would be the best to use? I've heard CamStudio is good....

If there is anything else, or something that I need, just tell me. I'm really wanting to play all Super Metroid Hacks, and shit in an LP.

Help me find a good device...please?

Quietus

Basically every man and his dog uses Fraps.  I've only ever really heard of people using others if they found Fraps to be incompatible with their system somehow, and end up getting something stupid like 2-3 fps.

Lunaria

Fraps is shit, and that's a program people try to SELL.

Also, you need to have a good voice to do LP's, hence why I am not doing any.

Katelyn

Quote from: Crys on July 23, 2011, 03:36:04 PM

You also need to be able to talk about something for all 15 or so minutes, hence why I am not doing any.

Zknight7126

All my LPs past Metroid II part 6 use CamStudios, look up how to get "HD" on CamStudios, and if you can find the option "Windows 1" or something like that around the Codecs, it gave me the best quality with minimal lag. All I remember is the capture rate should be 50 milliseconds. Key frame rate is 30 and playback rate is 20.

X-tradyte

Quote from: Vaelstrom on July 23, 2011, 06:02:05 PM

You also need to be able to talk about something for all 15 or so minutes, hence why I am not doing any.

Well that is easy, but not all the videos would be 15 minutes, besides, do I really need to talk? My voice is okay. I've talking about stuff longer than 15 minutes. Besides, it'd be something I think I'd like to do.

Quote from: Zknight7126 on July 23, 2011, 06:19:51 PM
All my LPs past Metroid II part 6 use CamStudios, look up how to get "HD" on CamStudios, and if you can find the option "Windows 1" or something like that around the Codecs, it gave me the best quality with minimal lag. All I remember is the capture rate should be 50 milliseconds. Key frame rate is 30 and playback rate is 20.
Ahh, so CamStudio is good? I've watched mainly all EP's LPs, he uses Camstudio. all I need to know now is, what are the functions? how does it work, do I need anything like webcam or anything, to use it?

Zknight7126

Ok, CamStudios is simple, you set a region size (find it in a drop down menu), to change the settings for the video just look for Video Options or something like that a the top of a drop down menu, and you can change it to the settings I use. You click the record button, choose where you will record, and start recording. You can also change settings for your cursor and shortcut keys. Now I do a cheap way to record both my voice and the game audio, I record from a mic, and blast the speakers, I give ALL credit to Silver Skree who I got the method from in one of his LPs. (I think Redesign) Hope that is all.

gunnargumpert

Fraps is shit, and that's a program people try to SELL.

Wtf? Fraps is the best Programm for D3DX Fullscreen and Windowed Games. It always gets high FPS's, cause it doesn't kill the CPU. Hypercam or Camtasia do. Also, Camtasia and Hypercam don't always record Sound correctly. I only use Hypercam3 for Minecraft.

Only thing, which is a problem, about Fraps: The Filesize. You need to Render the Videos again. Therefore I'm using Format Factory. This Program is free and can do nearly everything. Even rip DVD's, but not Protected DVD's, of corse. Well, you guys can try it. It's awsome shit.  :^_^:

Silver Skree

Get a good video editor (I use Vegas) and dump your recordings to AVI and sync your voice. You get the game audio plus your voice.

And speaking of your voice, record yourself and then listen to it. If you think you sound 16 years old on recording, you actually sound 10 and you should wait until you're in the last quarter of puberty to do anything that relies on a decent voice. I know because my own old LPs that I never uploaded are bad enough to make my ears catch fire and my eyes turn to dust.

As for what to talk about, pick any random wikipedia article and talk about the subject if you run out of things to say that are relevant to any monologue you already had going.

And lastly, you should pick one of two extremes: 1) Family friendly or 2) Creative swearing all the time. If you can't do one, do the other and stick to it. A unique and entertaining style is essential for any LPer to gain a sizable fanbase, and this is part of the formula for such style.

Not that I necessarily practice all of my own advice. Just remember, you play games to entertain yourself, but you do LPs to entertain others USING yourself in combination with the game.

personitis

Quote from: Vaelstrom on July 23, 2011, 06:02:05 PM

These two, I don't fully agree with. Yes, you have to have something of a mature/entertaining voice and yes you also need to have something to talk about, but if you just be yourself, everything should play out ok. And what Skree says above, is good advice as well.

Sure, I've only done four as of the current moment, but this is practically the basics of commentating. Also, I use Camtasia for recording. Cracks ftw.