News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid 1 Physics

Started by EagleEye, July 22, 2011, 07:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EagleEye

I'm working on an engine remake of Metroid 1, and I'm having a hard time figuring out how Samus moves. I assume it uses some sort of sub-pixel system, as Samus seems to routinely skip a pixel every so often in my reference screenshots. I've worked out what the hixboxes are for most things, so I just need to know how Samus walks/runs, jumps, rolls in the morphball, and how exactly she's affected by bombs in normal and morphball modes.

Thanks in advance.

snarfblam

You can dissect the Metroid source code if you want a perfect reproduction.

I'm pretty sure there is no sub-pixel positioning, if I understand you correctly. I don't think there are any surprises in the walking/jumping. There is one quirk where you can roll off a ledge while in ball form, and press jump twice (once to unmorph, once to jump) and jump from mid-air. You can also bomb-jump and then un-morph and jump while in the air to get hi-jump height without hi-jump.

Not much else I can tell you that you can't easily see for yourself. The physics seem a bit sketchy to me. I think Nintendo just dicked around with the code until it was Good Enoughâ„¢.

EagleEye

When you put it that way, it makes a lot more sense. Thank you.

SpiderWaffle

I wouldn't be surprised if their was sub-pixel positions, that's the case for a lot of NES games, megaman, TMNT.

There's a lot of other glitches, check out the resource page at TASvideos.org