News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Map Patch RELEASED, 110-114 extra map tiles and more + Add-ons

Started by -DC-, July 22, 2009, 01:35:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunnargumpert

my question:

when i took a clean rom and wrote text tiles into the map, the text wasn´t shown, just some glichy bullshit. is that one of the changes you made and did smile just save the wrong tile, ore what was going on. by the way: is your patch ONLY a changed tileset of the map ORE does it fix that bug?

(ore maybe smile can`t edit the map proberly with a header?)

Quietus

Just for clarity here, as even after reading all of the above, it still seems a little unclear - If I apply this patch, how would I then change my area names?  And is there anything else I should be aware of.  I don't plan on making any major changes beyond this one, and one or two minor hex tweaksTM.

I just want to be sure before I go patching stuff...

Scyzer

Quote from: Quietus on April 12, 2010, 07:02:30 PM
Just for clarity here, as even after reading all of the above, it still seems a little unclear - If I apply this patch, how would I then change my area names?  And is there anything else I should be aware of.  I don't plan on making any major changes beyond this one, and one or two minor hex tweaksTM.

I just want to be sure before I go patching stuff...

You'll need to go into a hex editor to manually change the area names. Don't worry though, it's VERY easy =) You can find the locations for the Area Name tables in DC's status screen guide, or just message me with the area names you want, and I'll tell you what hex to put where

:^_^: I love this smiley

Hiroshi Mishima

I feel somewhat inadequate after looking at these overwhelmingly impressive patches. I also feel that maybe this should be Sticky'd/Pinned so that Bumping it isn't required all the time.

Altzan

OK, I don't want to sound all nitpicky or paranoid... but if I apply this patch to a new or only slightly edited ROM, then the only thing affected will be the map tiles and the text naming system? (And the FX2 thing, which I have yet to use anyway)

-DC-

I list off all the things it affects in the spoilers in the post.

There's another patch that uses the same spot as my ASM, the message box expansion thing... I'll look into a patch to move my code under that stuff later, but for now, all you'd need to do is slide my ASM at 28960 down and change 3 jumps that go to that code that are in the message box ASM at 28000.

You can find the 3 jumps and repoint them using file compare for now. 1 jumps right to the beginning, and 2 jump a few bytes into it.

Area names are easy to edit... just look at the tileset and count the rows and tile number... rows are top to bottom (row 00-F0) and tile number is left to right (00-0F). Also, Jathys says he's going to add into smile the ability to detect if my patch is applied, so you can edit them in the new smile 3 he's currently building.

Altzan

OK, thanks.
I guess all the walls of text were scaring me a bit.

-DC-

I tired to explain as detailed as I could about all that's going on with it...

Also, to everyone, if your layer 3 tileset at D3200 does not look like the pink image in my post, and your status screen does not look like this:

... then you applied the patch wrong, an error happened trying to apply it... for whatever reason (it isn't because of this patch), you're looking at the wrong file or applied it to the wrong file, or you got the wrong patch (the update is NOT for first time people, it's to update an OLD version from months ago that I don't have up anymore).

Quietus

DC: Firstly, (to soften you up a little first), a massive thank-you for the effort. :grin:

I just need some clarity, however, (no offence intended here!) could you tell me exactly what this gives me to work with, as it seems that with all the waffly stuff, I'm losing track.  I've taken a standard ROM, and applied your patch, along with some others.  At D3200 in the ROM, it looks as you said it should in your picture.  What I need clarifying is: arethe extra map tiles included, or does it just enable me to create my own?  I know that some explanation is good for your patch (and again, thanks), but with 10+ posts, with a lot of waffle (for average users) that isn't needed, I'm a little overwhelmed.

Please don't take this the wrong,way, but it might be worth editing the original post to relay, in simpleton terminology, exactly what your patch now does / gives you.

Altzan

Quote from: Quietus on April 22, 2010, 09:57:03 AMI just need some clarity, however, (no offence intended here!) could you tell me exactly what this gives me to work with, as it seems that with all the waffly stuff, I'm losing track.  I've taken a standard ROM, and applied your patch, along with some others.  At D3200 in the ROM, it looks as you said it should in your picture.  What I need clarifying is: arethe extra map tiles included, or does it just enable me to create my own?

You need to create your own. One of his earlier posts in this thread has some he made that you can use, though. Look through his posts for the attachment called Doors_and_Tubes.zip

-DC- One question I have though... where do I go to edit the tiles? I found the spot in the ROM where the tiles are stored and added your custom ones in, but in the map editor in SMILE all the empty spots represented by circles were still empty.

-DC-

I state these in my post in the spoiler tags (editing info, check it out, has palettes, too)!

The way the map works is that it needs 2 tilesets with one tilemap.
D3200 in GAMEBOY mode: tileset for the minimap up in your HUD (and what you see in SMILE).
1B0000 in SNES mode: tileset for the main map in the pause screen and for the map when selecting a file.

Also, to Quietus, I state all the gains in my post in the spoiler tags:
http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,151.msg4416.html#msg4416

I did not add anything for you guys, I left it wide open for you to add whatever you want to... but yeah, I did make my own large selection of tiles in the post pointed out by Altzan:
http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,151.msg2324.html#msg2324

What it has, I listed, but a quick overview is that I created every single door tile combination for plain, item, and large item tiles, and separately, also made duplicates for the gameboy mode tileset.... all you gotta do is, open the file, select SNES or GAMEBOY mode, and drag and drop the tiles into each respective set (stated above where SNES and gameboy mode tiles are), or, for large copy and paste:

In TLP, use the right mouse button and click-drag the cursor to select many tiles at once, then hit Ctrl+C in that file, go to the one you want to paste them in and hit Ctrl+P... but don't click anywhere yet.

When you paste, it places the tiles in the top left corner of the window so you can drag them around and DROP them wherever you want them placed... so, after you paste, drag them to where you want to drop them, then click anywhere else in the window to have them dropped into your tileset.

A warning, though... you can't undo this action like you can for dragging and dropping individual tiles, so if you accidentally paste the wrong tiles, simply scroll the window to a place with free space so you can drop them there and easily erase them... or if you dropped the tiles in the wrong spot already, you're going to have to replace them from a backup or close the file without saving and try again.

I suggest saving before each copy/paste of many tiles just in case, so you don't have to re-paste a lot.

EDIT:
Oh, and one thing I forgot to address is DSO's palette patch... he made an updated version that works with mine, version 1.1, I think. His code was written into the same place as mine was, so depending on which you did first, it'd break one or the other. He moved his code down a bit so it fits after mine.

One final note, Jathys is making SMILE 3, and says he plans to detect if my patch is applied or not and have his text editors change offsets accordingly, so you won't have to manually edit your letters.

Quietus

Thanks, DC.  That cleared it up a lot, actually. :^_^: