The Great Metroid Construction Collaboration Hunt - Post your resources here!

Started by Zhs2, July 20, 2009, 07:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scyzer

This is a small patch which creates a RAM flag at $0B3A that can disable drawing Samus into VRAM. A value of 0 means Samus will be drawn; anything else and she won't.

Most of you will have no use for this patch. It's just a quick solution for hackers who need more versatility with drawing/animating Samus.

This patch changes 3 bytes in the Samus drawing routine (2 bytes form a RAM address, 1 byte changes a branch destination). No other bytes are changed.

FullOfFail

I have no clue what you're talking about, but I like it. Smmx3, here we come.

Quietus

I have images of JAM's Blackout patch coupled with an invisible Samus. :grin:

personitis

Something I wrote for Palmy who is no longer partaking in the contest. Once the player collects charge beam, instead of having to charge a shot, shots are always fired as charged shots. Two versions of the code include one that has charging still as an option and includes Black Falcon's tractor beam (credit to him) and another removes the charging feature completely. Included are both .asm and .ips files for both versions.
Charge Beam Mod zip file here.
shot charge shot charge shot charge shot charge shot charge shot charge shot charge How much more could I say it? <_<

Quote58

So I updated my game timer asm on my site, but since most of the patches there still need to be fixed/polished I'll post it here as well as it may be useful.
[spoiler=ips patch]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60276829/Site%20files/Patches/Game%20Timer.ips[/spoiler]
[spoiler=asm]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60276829/Site%20files/asm/GameTimer.asm[/spoiler]
[spoiler=pix][/spoiler]
So this version puts a game timer on the top line just above the map. To change the placement, change the LDA #$581B to whatever you want, but only on the hud. Otherwise any moving fx will move the timer as well. (the hud is fx3 as well but that top area is locked that way, so the moving fx only affects things under the hud)

Vismund Cygnus

Here's that Maridian reef tileset that I used in Sunshine Oddity. I'll keep using it but I'm out of new ideas for it, I'd be happy to see someone else except jefe give it a go and use it in a way that I'd never have thought of. Just credit me and stuff, that would be nice.
[spoiler=Pix for those who didn't see][/spoiler]
except jefe you no can use

Jordan5

I'm sure MST will combine it with some crazy glows in his next contest hack; epileptic fits for everyone :lol:

MetroidMst

Quote from: Jordan5 on March 22, 2014, 07:25:20 AM
I'm sure MST will combine it with some crazy glows in his next contest hack; epileptic fits for everyone :lol:
Actually, I believe Vismund already has that covered. Otherwise I would totally do that.

Quietus

Surely it'd be SLS - So Little Seizure? :^_^:

Jordan5

MetroidMst

Quote from: Quietus on March 22, 2014, 12:19:52 PM
Surely it'd be SLS - So Little Seizure? :^_^:
Quietus you little spying Brit. How did you know the next one was SLS?

personitis

Despite him not visiting irc, it's not like you haven't thrown the acronym around here and there...

Quietus

Quote from: MetroidMst on March 22, 2014, 11:11:17 PMQuietus you little spying Brit. How did you know the next one was SLS?
Logical deduction.  You've tried inadvertently causing it, and then inducing it by sound, so the next logical step is to just gopher it. :^_^:

M1CR0H4CK3R

Quote from: Quote58 on February 13, 2014, 12:28:49 AM
So I updated my game timer asm on my site, but since most of the patches there still need to be fixed/polished I'll post it here as well as it may be useful.
[spoiler=ips patch]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60276829/Site%20files/Patches/Game%20Timer.ips[/spoiler]
[spoiler=asm]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60276829/Site%20files/asm/GameTimer.asm[/spoiler]
[spoiler=pix][/spoiler]
So this version puts a game timer on the top line just above the map. To change the placement, change the LDA #$581B to whatever you want, but only on the hud. Otherwise any moving fx will move the timer as well. (the hud is fx3 as well but that top area is locked that way, so the moving fx only affects things under the hud)
Can someone tell me which part of the .asm file draws the period (".") between minutes and seconds? I figured out where the numbers themselves are loaded from (the 10 halfwords after the DW mnemonic represent them), but the period escapes me. I'm playing a hack in which the creator moved some HUD tiles around while creating the hack (only 3 hacks I've played did this), and the period was moved 3 tiles down and 1 tile left in TLP. I just need to know what to modify.

Mon732

Right at the start of TableLoad
LDA #$08CB : STA $7FFA50
LDA #$08CB : STA $7FFA56

08CB is the original location of the period. Changing that should change where the asm loads from.

M1CR0H4CK3R

Quote from: Mon732 on April 17, 2014, 03:26:18 PM
Right at the start of TableLoad
LDA #$08CB : STA $7FFA50
LDA #$08CB : STA $7FFA56

08CB is the original location of the period. Changing that should change where the asm loads from.
That's what I was thinking the 08CB might be for at first, but I made an error and referenced the wrong ROM in HxD. I KNEW I was doing SOMETHING wrong. :heheh:

Edit: for some reason, Mon732's post got quoted twice. :/

M1CR0H4CK3R

Also, Quote, I noticed a bug with your patch. Because it hijacks the Reserve Tank code, when you recieve your first reserve tank, certian rooms change the period to something else. This mainly happens in certain Norfair and Maridia rooms, and most Tourian rooms. I found that in the hack I am playing (Metroid Super Zero Mission) this happens far more frequently, most likely because of the HUD tile changes and the addition of new map tiles. Some rooms also seem to affect the period differently based upon how many Reserve Tanks have been collected, and even weirder still, some rooms also seem to affect the period differently based upon how many of those are completely full. I think this is fixable by adding the replaced instruction at the end of the ASM somehow, or by hijacking something else in the HUD instead.

Edit: I didn't see the 'LDA $09C0' after 'JSR DrawGfx' at first, which IS the replaced instruction. I still don't know what causes this bug, though.

Crashtour99

Try checking if all the rooms in question where it changes have some kind of fx3 effect (water, acid, fog, etc.).  I'm guessing what's going on is that the specific tile in question is being overwritten in VRAM by fx3 updates.  Most people don't realize that tilemaps are pointing to graphical data stored in VRAM and NOT to any particular area of the ROM.  This is one of the things that makes extremely complex edits of the HUD and fx3 stuff complicated, because the graphical data in VRAM for that stuff isn't always the same.  For proof see DCs map-patch where he relocated the gfx for fx3 giving more free space for map tiles in the HUD.

Kitsune_Phoenix

*deleted post*

Scyzer

This is a small fix for that infamous "where are the shotblocks in Croc's room" bug.

It's caused by an overflow when a long beam (at least wave + plasma) goes offscreen above a room, out of bounds, and the top of the room starts at Y = 0. The beam overflows the shot block reaction routine when it gets the next index from the out of bounds block to the inside block.
It will actually happen in any room as long as you have a long beam, but you won't get a shotblock sound unless the blocks around the area use a tiledata value of $XX4X or $XXCX, which is not often.

This small ASM will make it so even if the shot overflows, it will never have an incorrect block index and always check the right blocks.
Free space is used from $94DFF7 -> $94DFFD.

personitis

Funny enough, after discussing this with you, I came across another instance where this takes place in Maridia. Specifically room ID 7D1DD while angling up, facing left, and standing on the left tile of the bottom door cap. :bounce: Not that it matters anymore though! No more ghost blocks!

Quietus

But, guys!  We use those as 'evidence' for the Green Chozo room. :razz:

personitis

Quote58

So, as it turns out, Dessy made a patch some time back for helping people with the super short charge technique. The patch, called "Magic Pants" changes the leg sprites on the particular frames where you are supposed to hold the run button, so that they 'flash' at the correct times. Dessy gets the credit for making the patch, I'm simply uploading it.
Made for unheadered roms as per usual.

Jiffy

I made a door edit, so now doors move inwards instead of breaking apart.

Also, video:

http://youtu.be/wKPmdEPZaVk