The Great Metroid Construction Collaboration Hunt - Post your resources here!

Started by Zhs2, July 20, 2009, 07:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

passarbye

Quote from: Crashtour99 on November 25, 2012, 05:41:08 AM
If it's because you hate xkas' command line interface (like I do) than the easiest solution is to go here and get this nifty little tool.
actually it was because i had no idea how to use a .asm file, but thanks for the links i'll be sure to get it working!  :^_^:

Prime Hunter

That Prime style Space Jump is something I've been looking to do for a while now in various failed hacks I've worked on. Glad to see it done properly!

However, either I'm doing something wrong with the ASM file or else I simply expected something different when you try making the adjustments for Screw Attack. I comment/uncomment the lines like the ASM file suggests and I can suddenly use Space Jump up to six total times with or without Screw Attack being in my inventory at the time. I was expecting it to work just like in the Prime games where you get two jumps with just Space Jump and a few additional ones once you get Screw Attack, but that's not the case when I try out those edits.

If this is how you intended it to work that's fine, but I thought you'd want to know in the event it wasn't what you had in mind. Either way this patch is still awesome!

Crashtour99

Quote from: Prime Hunter on November 25, 2012, 10:39:57 PM
However, either I'm doing something wrong with the ASM file or else I simply expected something different when you try making the adjustments for Screw Attack. I comment/uncomment the lines like the ASM file suggests and I can suddenly use Space Jump up to six total times with or without Screw Attack being in my inventory at the time. I was expecting it to work just like in the Prime games where you get two jumps with just Space Jump and a few additional ones once you get Screw Attack, but that's not the case when I try out those edits.

If this is how you intended it to work that's fine, but I thought you'd want to know in the event it wasn't what you had in mind. Either way this patch is still awesome!

Annnnnnnnnnd, that's what happens when I don't test stuff before slapping it up for download (I was using a different and modified version for myself).  haha   After looking at it closer, turns out I made a typo (used a ; as a line break instead of : like I was supposed to...   :>_>: ).    Things are adjusted now (and I tested this time to make sure) so it works exactly as described.  I suggest redownloading it for those who got the other version that was broken.

Sorry for the slip folks.

passarbye

Quote from: Crashtour99 on November 26, 2012, 01:46:22 AM
Quote from: Prime Hunter on November 25, 2012, 10:39:57 PM

Things are adjusted now (and I tested this time to make sure) so it works exactly as described.
applied the asm to a rom, and doing a playthrough now.
just got space jump and it's impressive.
the one issue i have with it is that sometimes when i jump, it won't give me a second jump.
it's not much of an issue (hell, it could be just me), but it's a bit jarring.
also, if you wall-jump it counts as your second jump but i'm not sure if that's intended or not.

Crashtour99

Quote from: passarbye on November 26, 2012, 09:14:00 PM
the one issue i have with it is that sometimes when i jump, it won't give me a second jump.

also, if you wall-jump it counts as your second jump but i'm not sure if that's intended or not.

Could be because the location I chose to zero the counter is in the main weapons routine, which usually runs every frame when you're not jumping (but it's not guaranteed).

The wall-jump part wasn't intended.  Might have to adjust things a bit more and get it polished up.  Guess the bit of testing I did wasn't thorough enough.  lol

Edit: did some testing and it turns out it completely ignores walljump for the counter.  In essence, if you space jump first, then wall jump, you won't get an extra one from the walljump.  However if you wall jump first, you'll still get your space jump.  The same applies if you have screw attack equipped (say you space jump twice, then wall jump, you'll still have a few extra jumps available).  The space jump counter will only reset once you stop jumping (break the spinjump pose or land).

passarbye

Quote from: Crashtour99 on November 27, 2012, 02:03:35 AM
Quote from: passarbye on November 26, 2012, 09:14:00 PM

Could be because the location I chose to zero the counter is in the main weapons routine, which usually runs every frame when you're not jumping (but it's not guaranteed).

The wall-jump part wasn't intended.  Might have to adjust things a bit more and get it polished up.  Guess the bit of testing I did wasn't thorough enough.  lol

Edit: did some testing and it turns out it completely ignores walljump for the counter.  In essence, if you space jump first, then wall jump, you won't get an extra one from the walljump.  However if you wall jump first, you'll still get your space jump.  The same applies if you have screw attack equipped (say you space jump twice, then wall jump, you'll still have a few extra jumps available).  The space jump counter will only reset once you stop jumping (break the spinjump pose or land).
ah, okay. was probably just me then (but more testing never hurts).  :heheh:
finished the run i did, and the only issues i had were jumping into the ridley mouth cave/statue cause it's a bit high (but do-able) and the part after screw attack which is also a bit high and requires a power-bomb and IBJ. other than that, the patch does not ruin normal gameplay if you guys wanna play it that way.

Quietus

Quote from: passarbye on November 27, 2012, 01:54:17 PMrequires a power-bomb and IBJ.
Perhaps running from the edge of the room before jumping will gain you enough height?  Failing that, just charge a spark in GT's room. :^_^:

Mettyk25jigsaw

EXTRA DOORS PATCH...

DOES JUST WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE,  ADDS EXTRA DOORS TO YOUR ROM IN FREE SPACE IN BANK $8F FOR POINTERS AND IN BANK $83 FOR DOOR DATA, THERE ARE 3 PATCHES, 1ST FOR 600 EXTRA DOORS, 2ND FOR 1000 EXTRA DOORS AND THEN 1536
EXTRA DOORS, ALL 3 PATCHES COME WITH A SEPERATE TEXT FILE STATING ALL THE POINTERS AVAILABLE FOR EACH PATCH VERSION...FIND THE LIST OF  FREE SPACE USED INSIDE THESE DOOR POINTER TEXT FILES RIGHT DOWN THE BOTTOM...DATA THAT WILL BE PASTED IN BANK $83 WILL ALL BE OF ONE DEFAULT 12 BYTE INPUT THAT WILL SHOW INSIDE SMILE'S DOOR EDITOR AS FOLLOWS---91F8-00-05-8E-16-08-01-8000-0000, NOTE THAT THIS IS FROM MEMORY AND THIS STATED 12 BYTE DATA MAY BE SLIGHTLY INCORRECT HERE, BUT IT WOULD BE VERY VERY SIMLILAR TO IT...

personitis

Holy mother of giant Metroid gods, caps. Turn them off. Also, not to burst your bubble but adding doors manually isn't hard at all. I'd imagine if you're going to make them go into hex to find the offsets for the extra doors they might as well learn how to make a whole pointer.

Mettyk25jigsaw

Well, Person 701, I don't know where the heck you get the idea that you have to look up in a hex editor where to find the door ptrs, I plainly stated that there is a text file with all the door ptrs listed--all of them, all one has to do is open it up (the text file)
and copy the ptrs and place them in their notes, with this patch all you have to do is in the pointer editor in smile place any of these ptrs in the door out section and you've already got the data and the amount of doors you want of your choice because there are options there too for amount of doors (up to 9) and then you just edit the data just like you normally would in the door editor.
People who don't know hex won't need to know hex for this...

Scyzer

I dont even know what the hell I just read. It was just a mess of sentences jumbled up into one huge sentence.
In any case, adding doors is not hard at all, and considering that space in bank $8F is quite valuable for a lot of things, many people wont want to waste it on a thousand doors they'll never use.
For some perspective:
Super Metroid has 610 doors, including elevators and unused doors.
Redesign Axeil has 1068 doors, including elevators and unused doors. The original Redesign has less than that.

personitis

I apologize for not noticing that you did include a text file with locations of the pointers. It's just a bunch of caps look extremely similar to my eye. :| I still do however, stand by my thought that learning how to add/make pointers in the ROM in very useful.

Mettyk25jigsaw

Considering your point Scyzer, I can see what you mean, however anyone who doesn't use a hex editor because they can't be bothered learning how to use one or can't be bothered using one at all or whatever, well they won't need to. I thought I'd add that  I am surprised redesign has that many doors, I thought it would have had more, however I have in my game I am doing around 2400 to 2450 ish doors available, cause I am planning on making it very very very huge in area and I know alot of people would not want as many as 1536 doors, that's why I made two other patches with 1000 and 600 extra doors, also people can use originally already existing door data pointers, overwrite these door ptrs and use them for extra scrolls in some rooms or probably even scroll plms and use these new doors insted. Also if people are worried about it taking up too much space for other material in bank $8f like PLMS and scrolls, well there are bank repointers that work for both now given that jam has released v1.1 of his scroll repoint that does work with the most recent smile version. Oh I thought I would mention that if anyone is still having problems with this patch--Try changing where it sais in text file to put desired bank on byte OF to byte 16 instead in the hex editor that is, (with the IPS file). This was an error of memory from Jam to change it from the previous version, I have contacted him and he has responded saying one day soon he will do another version with it fixed. However note, there is nothing whatsoever wrong with the patch itself, it will work with the right byte changed.
   Also Considering your point too Person 701, I can see it too, it would be good for people to learn to make your own ptrs in a hex editor. But I feel some people will not want to be bothered with it or any other valid reason.

Zero One

Quote from: Mettyk25jigsaw on November 29, 2012, 04:08:39 PM
Considering your point Scyzer, I can see what you mean, however anyone who doesn't use a hex editor because they can't be bothered learning how to use one or can't be bothered using one at all or whatever...

Then it's probably going to be a terrible hack. You can't really get away with not learning how to do the simple stuff within a hex editor. Just saying.

Quietus

That sounds a little flawed to me.  It sounds like you're saying before any ASM or tweaking was done, all hacks were terrible.  Things like Limit, Golden Dawn, and Dependence?

Mettyk25jigsaw

Quietus makes an unquestionable point, you do not need a hex editor even at all to make a real good game. You can change the entire layouts of maps and the entire level data plus countless of other things to make the game not look like the original at all except for boss rooms and some ceres rooms and make it into an entire new game. But yes, there are big advantages of using asm, hex editors, outside of smile graphics editors and such, because they give you many additional options to add to your hack, but they are all optional. I started my game only inside smile and every room looked different, the paths were completely changed and more. But then I got intrigued and started to learn using outside of smile features that I have already mentioned plus more. So I can't really figure out how someone could possibly suggest you can't do much only being inside smile...

Zero One

Do note I said 'probably#'. I'm not saying it's absolutely impssoible; that would be terribly wrong of me.

Katelyn

Quote from: Crashtour99 on November 25, 2012, 12:27:26 AM
As a super early X-mas gift (or perhaps a late Thanksgiving gift), I present to you the double jump.

What it does:  Makes it so that space jump will only give you 1 extra jump, like the Prime series.  Additional code was added so that if you want, screw attack will give you 5 extra jumps like MP2 (you just have to comment out 1 line and uncomment 2 lines).

Be sure to find your freespace in $90 first.

Happy holidays kiddos.   :grin:

Edit: fixed a typo and adjusted a value (and tested this time to make sure it works right), so all is well now.

This sounds great. Only reason I'm not using it is either because it's incompatible with spinjump restart by Scyzer, or that I'm an idiot and screwed up one of the addresses in the .asm while I was scrambling to find any data I haven't used in $90.

A_red_monk_called_Key

Small savestations. ASM has extra data for better customization. if there is any issues let me know and i'll fix/make changes.

+plus M2 rips

Please give credit.

Quietus

Probably always worth posting an example screenshot when you're posting things like that. :^_^:

JAM

In the day of 12.12.12 I'll release a few patches. Not 12, but in sum of all digits of date number of times less than sum of all numbers of date. All of them are improvements of existing patches. There are versions 1.1, 1.2 and 2.

As usual, apply to unheadred ROMs and give credit if any of these pacthes will be useful to you.

1. Scroll Repoint v1.11
A patch allowing to repoint all Scrolls from Bank $8F to another bank to free space in Bank $8F. Bank $C0 or above is working too. For a hacks with a lot of big rooms with custom scrolling.

Extra info
This patch is compatible with Yellow Scrolls patch.

Changes since v1.1
•Right byte in the description is set.
•Description is updated to add info about usign this patch with SMILE JX.

How to use it
0. Read description
1. Unpack IPS file from this archive.
2. Open IPS file in hex editor.
3. Byte $14 is the Scroll Bank ($8F is default). Change it manually and save.
4. Apply changed IPS file to the ROM.
5. Copy the whole bank $8F to new destination using program Bank Buddy by Jathys to have all Scroll data from original game at their places. [Optional].
6. Edit scrolling for every room with SMILE JX version 2.82 or above.

If you have SMILE JX version 2.83 or above
0. Read description
1. Unpack IPS file from this archive.
2. Apply IPS file to the ROM.
3. Open any room in SMILE JX.
4. Open pointer window.
5. Simply edit bank near Scroll filed.
6. Run Bank Buddy function inside ROM menu or say yes to propmt about Scroll data repointing after saving the pointers in pointers window. [Optional].
7. Copy the whole bank $8F to new destination using function Bank Buddy originally written by Jathys to have all Scroll data from original game at their places. [Optional].
8. Edit scrolling for every room with SMILE JX version 2.82 or above.

Space affected
1687B..1687D
16B2B..16B2D

Thanks
•Alexi Laiho and Zeran for finding the bug in version 1.0
•Mettyk25jigsaw for finding the bug in version 1.1

2. Reserve Energy Safety Fuse v2
A small patch that prevents player to lose remaining reserve energy when fully restoring energy with reserve tanks. No matter, in menu or when losing all energy in game in auto-restoring mode. Strange... There is a safety fuse preventing Samus from burn itself up when performing a super jump, but no safety fuse in original game when restoring regular energy with reserve tanks.

Change since v1.1:
Double hit bug is fixed. It happens when you taking fatal damage with reserve energy in auto-refilling mode. You're taking damage, energy is starting refilling. When it's over you're taking damage again. You also can't make backflip because of this bug. Now you'll take damage only once and be invincible some time after refilling ends and even make a backflip if you're lucky.

Compatibility
It's completly harmless for most (or even all existing) hacks, because no free space is used.

Space usage
12F84..12F93
12FA3
15C4C..15C5A

3. Ceres & Debug usage v1.2
A patch that allowing to fully use Ceres and Debug areas, also known as Areas 06 and 07. When I say fully, I mean saving and loading, have a text icons of these 2 areas, pressing start and viewing the map instead of crashing and so on. Except for the world hexagonal map, of course. No one knows how to edit it yet. Debug map can be freely edited with SMILE JX after applying the patch.

Changes since v1.1
1. Visibility array is relocated back to 11E27. It's at same place than in version 1.0.
2. SetDebugName.ASM file is removed because Debug area name can be edited in SMILE JX.
3. CRE was removed differently than in version 1.1 to have ability to select area in which CRE will be removed in SMILE JX.

Changes since v1.0
1. Added text icons explaination.
2. Save point using data updated.
3. Visibility array bug is fixed. I understood recently that SMILE ignoring ROM's visibility array poiters and use internal ones instead. Because if that, code at 11E27 will be overwrited by Debug's visibility array after editing and saving Debug map. This version fixes that. I've relocated a code to 17F00 and place visibility array to where SMILE writes it actually.

Warning
This patch is works only with SMILE JX, any version. Don't use with regular SMILE, or you'll overwrite code at 11E27 when saving Debug Map.

Warning
If you have used version 1.1 of this patch, re-save map of Debug area. The map will be there but map sectors visibility data will be lost after reinstalling the patch.

Warning
If you want to save progress of explored maps of Debug area or you just recieved message about exceeding $500 groops in SMILE, apply SuperMap patch v1.1.

Extra info
This patch also prevents CRE removing in all rooms of Ceres area to make ability to use items, doors, BTS and all stuff you can't use in Space Colony normally. Rooms in Ceres tileset now will be displayed normally in SMILE JX. I made CRE removing interval patch if you need to remove CRE not in all rooms of Area 06.

Start button is active now in Area 06. Change it back in SMILE JX if you don't want to.

Pointer in text icons array for Ceres and Debug are points to terminator (FFFF) at 147C9. Change the values at 17EFC (Ceres) and 17EFE (Debug) to have text icons in these areas.

Pointers for map station in areas 06 and 07 are null. Create your own pointer and write X position (2 bytes), Y position (Y bytes) and terminator (FFFF word) at pointer address.

This version have 2 IPS files. Ceres&DebugV1.1fix.IPS is just a changes since version 1.1 and Ceres&DebugV1.2.IPS is a full patch that can be applied to the ROM unpatched by Ceres&Debug v1.1 earlier. In other words, v1.1 + v1.1 fix = v1.2.

Free space usage
17E14..17FFF

How to use it
0. Read description.
1. Unpack the files.
2. If you have already applied versions 1.0 or 1.1 of this patch and set Area Load Stations for debug area, apply Ceres&DebugV1.1fix.IPS. It contains just changes from version 1.1. If you have clean ROM, apply Ceres&DebugV1.2.IPS.
3. Set Debug Area name in SMILE JX.

Warning
To make rooms in Ceres region with CRE you'll need to use SMILE JX. Not regular SMILE!

4. Vertical Doors fix v2
After going up through elevator, pink and green vertical doors are looking like blue ones. This patch sets correct colors for them without using any of free space.

Warning
Regular SMILE can't recognize "Hits to Open" property of modified doors. If you see B4 in that field, then don't touch it. Use SMILE JX to edit "Hits to Open" property.

Warning
If you have changed "Hits to Open" property before applying the patch you'll need to that again after applying because patch format doesn't allow to shift the data by X bytes ahead and behind. So I had to write default property for each door.

Compatibility
It's completly harmless for most (or even all existing) hacks, because no free space is used.

Change since v1
Code for green and pink doors was compressed and now it fits default location. No free space is used.

Warning
To edit "Hits to Open" property of green and pink vertical doors after applying patch you'll need SMILE JX version 2.79 or above. If you try to do that in regular SMILE you'll see B4 in that field. If you change it in regular SMILE, you'll crash the door code.

Space affected
241DE..24265
2429C..2429C
2435D..243E7
2487A..24888
24892..248A0

Technical notes
Fix for green and pink vertical doors uses 4 extra bytes of code, so in version 1 I had to move code of vertical doors facing up to free space. Later I've found a way to compress code of every door by 2 bytes, using redirecting instruction with pointer to grey door code instead of using terminating code for each door. So, each vertical green and pink doors are using 2 extra bytes than regular door and horizontal green and pink doors are using less 2 bytes than regular door. All the door code is shifted but now it's fitting default location and no free space is used. If you have used version of this patch earlier, how you can reapply the patch and clean the data at $272E0..273A8

Thanks
Kejardon for PLM Disassembly doc that helps to see of how data can be compressed.

P.S. My 500th post. Finally.

P.P.S.
Quote from: Zero One on November 29, 2012, 10:30:43 PM
Then it's probably going to be a terrible hack. You can't really get away with not learning how to do the simple stuff within a hex editor. Just saying.
Agree to this. I even saw a hack in which one of the bosses had $9999 HP. Creator wants to set max possible HP but knew nothing about hex.

FullOfFail

Just wanted to mention I've updated the bible some. It's version now v1.1

If you already have it, just either delete and replace it or skip it, it's only minor updates that's been made to the Hex and IPS section.

Download Here:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/68301023/Public%20Stuff%20%28Don%27t%20Delete%29/Super%20Metroid%20Hacking%20Bible%20v1.1.zip

If you're not familiar with it, read this:

[spoiler]

Note: This is WIP. If you see anything of yours that you wish to be excluded, let me know, and I'll remove it by version 2 when it gets released. All of this content was public releases anyway, though.

Super Metroid Hacking Bible

Includes everything I could gather related to hacking Super Metroid.

My motive for making this Bible was so incase I ever need to switch computers or can't use the Internet, for whatever reasons. Now I can just open this, and grab what I need. I suppose you could say I work hard at being lazy. It started out for personal use, but then I realized how handy it is to have everything readily available, and decided to make it a public project. Consider it a downloadable version of metconst.

Oh, and one more Note: When reading the Info docs included, most are by the original authors of, say, a patch. I just copy and pasted in most cases. If it says *I* made this when talking about a patch or software, just assume it's that person talking, and not me.

There's 5 different sections. Read below for details.

Softwares

The softwares section has all versions of Smile I could find (Thanks Jathys!). It also has GFX editors, a few Hex editors, ect, ect. This is the only section that I was iffy on releasing, since it contains softwares not made by metconst members. But since it's all freeware anyway, I can't see why it'd be much of a issue. In terms of credits, I tried doing what I could, but never got around to finishing it. Smile was made by Jathys is really all you need to know for it, the rest of the credits should be there.

Guides

A very unfinished part of the bible. Some files are in text format, others are just links. I plan to fix this up later, but for now, it's pretty rough. If anyone wants their doc excluded, let me know.

IPS Patches, ASM Patches, GFX, Other

This one took me awhile to compile. I searched all around metconst for these. It's stuff both from the main site and the collab thread. I gave credit to everyone included, but if you wish to be removed from it, let me know. The Info Docs will explain the patches in greater detail, with links to where I got them from incase I missed something.

Hex Tweaks

Another one that took me awhile. I tried to make everything color-coordinated. It's really handy, though. I'd recommend it to just about every hacker. I tried giving credit where I could, but there's just so many that's it's nearly impossible to. If it doesn't have a "Found By: ___", just assume it's something Grime found, or atleast compiled.

Completed Hacks

I found most of these on the main site, but I also included the folder Qactis made awhile back. If you're just in the mood to play tons of hacks, check it out.

[/spoiler]

P.JBoy

I would suggest for that bible, that you either put that into a .7z or .tar.bz2 since it's 224MB, or that you organise the files into directories or separate .zip or both

FullOfFail

PJBoy, I just used zip because I figured it was the standard for most. I prefer 7z myself.

I previously had individual zips for each section, but due to being tight on space in dropbox, I just decided to stick with the full thing. I realize the zip is huge by our current hacking standards, but for any modern computer, it shouldn't be a issue.

This Bible is going to switch versions alot as time passes. Maybe a better approach is to write a simple html page for it that always has the updated versions, and just post the links to that page on the forums. Otherwise I'd have to update every link when I post them here.

Edit: Wrote a very simple but functional page for it
Super Metroid Bible Site v1.1

But for now, you're right, 7z is much smaller, so I'll provide those links too.

[spoiler]

Note: Read my previous post for details about the sections.

Full Bible v1.1 (7z) 92.2 MB
Full Bible v1.1

Softwares v1.1 (7z) 32.3 MB
Softwares v1.1

Guides v1.1 (7z) 13.3 MB
Guides v1.1

IPS Patches, ASM Patches, GFX, Other v1.1 (7z) 10.5 MB
]IPS Patches, ASM Patches, GFX, Other v1.1

Hex Tweaks v1.1 (7z) 1.75 MB
Hex Tweaks v1.1

Completed Hacks v1.1 (7z) 45.1 MB
Completed Hacks v1.1

[/spoiler]

passarbye

i had no idea that you could make web pages with dropbox.
very cool! (and useful)