News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Dat grammar

Started by Quietus, March 16, 2011, 07:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quietus

Zhs2

It's actually DChronos', but whatever.

Quietus

Quote from: Zhs2 on March 16, 2011, 08:43:45 PMIt's actually DChronos', but whatever.
Actually, because of all of the confusion over using an 'S' or not on the end, the most recent rulings / guidelines state that an 'S' is always added unless the word ends with an 'IZ' sound.

A few name examples: James's, Tess's, and Phyllis's are all fine, but Bridges' would be written without.

X-tradyte

Quote from: Quietus on March 17, 2011, 07:54:28 AM
Quote from: Zhs2 on March 16, 2011, 08:43:45 PMIt's actually DChronos', but whatever.
Actually, because of all of the confusion over using an 'S' or not on the end, the most recent rulings / guidelines state that an 'S' is always added unless the word ends with an 'IZ' sound.

A few name examples: James's, Tess's, and Phyllis's are all fine, but Bridges' would be written without.
Quietus'  :wink:

Scyzer

No. You are wrong. Just sit there in your wrongness and be wrong.

Quietus

Yesss, Missstresss... :heheh:

Scyzer

Klungo hasss failed =(

Zhs2

Bumpage, but I wanted to previously state that I'd never heard of that rule, but didn't because it would be bumping a topic for a completely irrelevant reason. I fixed that though. :heheh:

Links or ruling didn't happen :razz: Besides, it's more fun to nuke the s after an apostrophe anyway! Could that be considered a legal stylistic thing?

Quietus

Wiki's section on it: Click!
Grammarbook's section (Rule 2): Click!
Apostrophe Protection Society's (Yes, seriously! - Under number 2) page: Click!
Latest CMOS ruling: Click!

:^_^: