News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

#MetConst: Do you want OMGbot to stay or leave?

Started by Silver Skree, March 17, 2011, 09:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OMGbot: Stay or leave?

I wish for OMGbot to stay in the channel.
20 (71.4%)
I wish for OMGbot to be exiled from the channel.
8 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2011, 09:47:39 PM

Silver Skree

I thought it was time to make a decisive poll, and Zeke gave me the go-ahead so here it is. Please only vote if you hang out in the IRC.

If the winning consensus is for him to stay, OMGbot will automatically attempt to join the channel from now on, and the operators of #metconst and #sr388 will acknowledge that the general users of #metconst wish for OMGbot to remain there.

If the winning consensus is for him to leave, then OMGbot will no longer be allowed to remain in #metconst.

Votes will be counted by the Poll up top, and votes from posts will NOT be counted. You are, however, welcome to leave thoughts and elaborations on your choice in a post below. The poll results will be hidden until the voting period is over in order to prevent premature action and persuasion by numbers. Please vote honestly. Additionally, if you change your mind, you may change your choice up until the day the Poll ends.

The Poll will end and the topic will be locked on April 1. And just to reassure, this matter has nothing to do with April Fool's.

X-tradyte

Deffinatly, Leave. Hes just a waste of space. He barely does anything anyways....

begrimed

I like OMGBot displaying new posts made on this forum, but if being in #metconst includes functionality of that battle crab and rainbow text spam bullshit then I don't want it in there.

Fe

Well OMGbot is kinda useful. I think he should stay. I honestly have no idea why everyone hates him :neutral:

DSO

I find OMGbot useful for when I need to use him, or sometimes fun just to have fun with, but I don't like some of the functions such as !s. I am very tired of scrolling through logs to try and locate useful information, as well as while I'm trying to help someone with a problem only to see loads of "!s dicks"... of course the core problem is not OMGbot but the people using it that way. Many of his useful features can be spammed too, so it's not like you can just remove everything that can be abused. I just wish the channel itself didn't have such a juvenile atmosphere.

Silver Skree

personitis

Crashtour99

Four actually.  lol  Pretty much agree with what DSO said.

See, this is why we can't have nice things people.  There's always a crowd willing to fuck it up for everyone.

Scyzer

What I think, keep OMGbot, but remove the majority of his commands. The way I see it, the ONLY useful ones are the post reporting and !later, and that's all it should be. !s is definitely useless seeing as most people aren't dumb enough not to realise what someone meant, and it's not like they can't correct themselves in 1 line, instead of wasting space messaging OMGbot, then the channel...

So... Keep OMGbot, but only with very basic and useful commands. If that can't be done, then kick.

EDIT:
Woot epic post time :D

Silver Skree

Unfortunately, I haven't convinced PY to write allowances for conditional channel/plugin loading. If you unload a command, it's unloaded for anyone that tries to use it anywhere. I'll pitch the idea again to him, plus a few others I'm thinking of, but he'll probably just shrug it off. Not like I blame him. It'd be a lot of work, I'm sure.

zephyrtronium

!later is not much more useful than MemoServ and is more spammy. Personally, I think OMGbot should stay but have the channel on ignore. Post reporting would function normally, and "responsible" people could be given access via levels. !later could be special cased to override the ignore, and this would be pretty much the only thing requiring effort on behalf of PY.

PY

I wasn't asked about any of this. Whatever.

Personally, I don't care whether you guys use him or not, but I'm not babysitting it any more, and I'm not intentionally crippling him to make him "worthy". If you vote to keep him, I'll dish out some properly thought out user levels so people can properly administrate him, to people who can be trusted with it, but that's all. I have no interest in creating per-channel command lists, and am certainly not going to special-case certain channels for never joining.

As for !later, channelwide ignores are just that - channel only. Feel free to /msg him your later messages, which will be relayed as usual.

snarfblam

OMGbot... strangely, he's grown on me. From time to time, the channel will be spammed with rainbow dicks, yes. No doubt it's very annoying. That's when somebody with ops should step in. I know I've whined about it in the past, but the issue isn't really OMGbot. It's people being annoying. People who want to be annoying will find a way.

!s is mostly a way for people to screw around and have fun. I think having a fun atmosphere is a credit to #metconst. A few (or a dozen) lines of !s spam really isn't a big deal. That's usually all it is. Sometimes somebody might want to use #metconst for something hack-related, but that doesn't mean that #metconst must be :stern: serious business.

I voted to keep OMGbot, but I'd get over it pretty quickly if he went. What I find disconcerting is how polarized people are about it: angry about people screwing around with it, or angry about people taking it away. Whatever. We've all got bigger problems than OMGbot. MetConst has bigger problems than OMGbot ahem FazeWire cough cough.

Oh, and I like OMGbot posting updates from the RSS feed.

begrimed

Welp, since OMGBot isn't going to have a specific command list for #metconst, I'm officially siding with "I don't want that bot in there." Post reporting is just a small novelty that can easily be substituted by checking the forum the old-fashioned way, and !later is a small loss when you consider memoserv or forum PMs.

I can't count how many times I've restored IRC to see line upon line upon line of rainbow dick !spam and whatnot. I realize there are ops in place for that sorta thing, but I don't really enjoy having to take an authoritative stance against people that I otherwise talk to on an equal level. If you put noise makers and crayons on a table in a room full of children, there's going to be lots of noise and stuff being drawn on that shouldn't be drawn on. So why the hell would you put them there? That's how I see this. Why burden the channel ops with having to babysit a few people who can't resist generating pointless lines of text when that factor could simply be removed?

Nothing at all against PY or anyone, but I'm pretty much over OMGBot.

Katelyn

Quote from: Grime on March 22, 2011, 11:13:05 PM
Welp, since OMGBot isn't going to have a specific command list for #metconst, I'm officially siding with "I don't want that bot in there." Post reporting is just a small novelty that can easily be substituted by checking the forum the old-fashioned way, and !later is a small loss when you consider memoserv or forum PMs.

I can't count how many times I've restored IRC to see line upon line upon line of rainbow dick !spam and whatnot. I realize there are ops in place for that sorta thing, but I don't really enjoy having to take an authoritative stance against people that I otherwise talk to on an equal level. If you put noise makers and crayons on a table in a room full of children, there's going to be lots of noise and stuff being drawn on that shouldn't be drawn on. So why the hell would you put them there? That's how I see this. Why burden the channel ops with having to babysit a few people who can't resist generating pointless lines of text when that factor could simply be removed?

Nothing at all against PY or anyone, but I'm pretty much over OMGBot.

^This exactly.

Lunaria

Quote from: Grime on March 22, 2011, 11:13:05 PMI realize there are ops in place for that sorta thing, but I don't really enjoy having to take an authoritative stance against people that I otherwise talk to on an equal level.

Too be fair, that's what comes with power/authority, and you're not really doing your job if you don't use it when you should.

Anyhow, I voted for OMGbot to stay. I just like the functionality. Not to mention if ops get the power to put the whole channel on ignore, we still have the RSS feed and !later, but without all the other commands.

I don't particularly care if he stays or goes since I have the RSS feed to my own channel anyway. (If PY would kindly teach me how to restart it when it fucks up would be great too.) But I still think the bot should stay. :p

FullOfFail

I don't mind OMGbot. I'm actually impressed by all the functions he has. But, like others have mentioned, sometimes the spam gets out of control, but you can't really blame OMGbot for that. Really, the spam doesn't even bother me most of the time anyway though. But I can see how it'd affect other people, especially while trying to have a conversation.

tl;dr version: I think OMGbot should stay.

Silver Skree

Everyone, remember that the poll will be locked by the day after tomorrow, meaning tomorrow is the last day to reconsider your vote. You're allowed to change it.

Eppy37

He needs to go. I sick of pointless highlight setting off.