News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Poseidon: Well, there's a screenshot, at least.

Started by Draconis Kenjishiya, February 28, 2011, 12:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draconis Kenjishiya

Just announcing my hack and showing off my aesthetics, seeing how people take to them. Metroid: Poseidon is the working title of the hack, named so because the world is called Poseidon, which I assume all of you know is the Greek God of the Sea. Well. The world is largely flooded, and as such, the Gravity Suit is collected early on while the Varia Suit is found late in the game. The game is not Norfair-centric, rather, Maridia is the largest area of the game by far. There are some other changes, but I'll go over them when I have more material.

Ahem. Here's what I did with the landing site.

I did get permission from FirePhoenix to use graphics I ripped from Volta. But the room shown here will more or less be my style with this game's level design. There will be more to come when I finish it, I'm currently about 6 rooms in but I have a job and life and all that so! Yeah.

Thanks for viewing, lol.

metalsubstance

What an interesting concept and variation.  I hope your hack turns out to be a successful one.  I'd be interested in playing it once you get some beta releases in.  What type of difficulty are you planning?

Draconis Kenjishiya

As far as difficulty is concerned, I imagine not too much beyond the original. I would never suggest someone play this without having beaten the original, as things like standard walljumps, spinesharks and mid-air morph are necessary at times. However, mockball and the like aren't even close to being required, and Samus will take more damage from enemies but nothing obscene. Spikes are pretty damn lethal, though. I also have no planned "hell runs" lasting more than 1 second through one screen of a heated room, lol. The true difficulty with Poseidon comes from the puzzles and "where do I go next" level design, which I hope to create well.

personitis

Quote from: metalsubstance on February 28, 2011, 02:04:13 PMI'd be interested in playing it once you get some beta releases in.
<_<

I see you've used the CRE to your advantage here. Looks pretty good though I hope you know in the top right of that screenshot you're missing tiles. ;) Can we be expecting any palette changes as well? Also, as personal preference, I like to use the CRE blocks to make the ramps n' such seem more natural when they enter the walls. Good luck friend. ^-^

Scyzer

Quote from: person701 on March 01, 2011, 04:13:44 PM
Also, as personal preference, I like to use the CRE blocks to make the ramps n' such seem more natural when they enter the walls.

Or even better, copy the wall/floor rock tiles, and edit them slightly so they show parts of the CRE merging into them, much in the same way as the ends of the pipes you've got in the middle of the dirt areas.

As a random observation, what would be the architectual point of those pipes i the dirt anyway. They don't lead anywhere, and dont really seem to serve any purpose whatsoever...
Methinks Space Pirates just get a kick out of building random shit...

Draconis Kenjishiya

Quote from: person701 on March 01, 2011, 04:13:44 PM...though I hope you know in the top right of that screenshot you're missing tiles. ;)

No, that's actually a red square, I just took the screenshot weirdly, apparently >.>

As far as merging the CRE with the purple railing tiles, how would I go about doing that just by copying the rock tiles? It seems to me like I'd have to use TLP to make new tiles merging the rock and the purple railing. Or is there an easier way to do that? What would look prettier? Hm.

And. Yes. Space Pirates...they're architectural gluttons, apparently.

Scyzer

Quote from: Draconis Kenjishiya on March 02, 2011, 02:34:16 AM
As far as merging the CRE with the purple railing tiles, how would I go about doing that just by copying the rock tiles? It seems to me like I'd have to use TLP to make new tiles merging the rock and the purple railing. Or is there an easier way to do that? What would look prettier? Hm.

Open TLP, select the floor and wall rock tiles, and copy/paste them. Now if you see the pipe/rock joiner tiles, you'll see that a part of the pipe is drawn about 2 pixels into the rock, at varying depths, so it looks like the pipe is going through the rock. You just have to do a similar thing with the new rocks. It's much easier if you copy the CRE tiles too and put them next to the rock while you're drawing.

VideoGeemer

Based on your descriptions, this looks pretty promising. :)

VG