News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

n00b patching

Started by Bigmac9137, May 14, 2014, 07:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigmac9137

Just started playing hacks...blah blah blah

Basically I played Legacy, worked great with a soft patch.
Tried same thing with other IPS and SMC and it either starts and freezes, or is out of whack.

This due to headers? How do I check, and add/remove them?
SMILE doesn't work on my Mac, but I have no idea how to use it anyway.

Just need help making patches work so I can keep playing.

PS. I'm using SNES9x
Thanks all

Quietus

Check that the ROM you use is a clean, unheadered one.  It'll be 3,072KB in size.  Headered is 3,073KB.  The ROM you acquire will usually be called "Super Metroid (JU) [!]".  Once you've done that, 95% of all hacks should work fine.  You'll find that the odd few require a headered version of the ROM, most notably DMan's hacks - Cliffhanger and Eris.

Outside of that, you could try an ips patching tool to see if hard patching makes a difference.  www.romhacking.net will have links to a fair few of them.  You could also try another emulator, just to check it's not your version of snes9x that doesn't like a particular hack.

Failing all of that, you could try the IRC channel (details and link on the Main Site), and somebody can no doubt hook you up. :^_^:

Bigmac9137

You are all over Quietus, thanks for the help. When I get home I'll make sure all that is as it should be.

FullOfFail

In addition to what Quietus said, it's best to keep both a clean headered and unheadered versions in a separate folder. Then it's just a copy and paste job from there.

Also note that the hacks page on the main site tells you if it's headered or not, making the process even easier.

Bigmac9137

Quote from: FullOfFail on May 14, 2014, 06:11:16 PM
In addition to what Quietus said, it's best to keep both a clean headered and unheadered versions in a separate folder. Then it's just a copy and paste job from there.

Also note that the hacks page on the main site tells you if it's headered or not, making the process even easier.

Yes I actually just did that. Downloaded a new, unheadered smc with the file name suggested and a few that didn't work before, worked. So it was my smc file. I now have folders for every hack, and originals so I can copy and paste everything!

Thanks for everything dudes, looking forward to diving in.
Beat SM:Legacy yesterday, first victory, and now playing a 1 roomer called Enigma

Quietus

Hehe, enjoy my very, very short hack. :yay:

Another benefit to soft patching is that whenever there's an update, you just replace the .ips file, and don't need to mess about actually patching anything.

Bigmac9137

Quote from: Quietus on May 15, 2014, 04:53:54 AM
Hehe, enjoy my very, very short hack. :yay:

Another benefit to soft patching is that whenever there's an update, you just replace the .ips file, and don't need to mess about actually patching anything.

That's your hack?! I'm pretty terrible so I only got to the mockball part, which I'm bad at. I also have done everything with a keyboard, my controller comes in today! Hopefully I can improve on mockballing then.
Also, the spiked speed jump part before was pretty clever design

Bigmac9137

NEVERMIND! Just remembered I beat Enigma. I happened to get that mockball by some magical lucky power. It's a different one I'm stuck on. Was a short hack. "WELL DONE"