News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Week 2011 - Archives

Started by Phazar, January 02, 2011, 09:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charmander106

Not too early to start?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

herald83

Nice SoTN rip!  The standard door tube looks a little out of place though.

JamieWebb16

Yes, cool SotN rip there webber. Hope to see...and use more Castlevania rips from you! ;)

A_red_monk_called_Key

excellent work on the rip webber1900

i'll be posting this weekend with a preview of the new final zone from SM phazon 0.3 so somebody please come up with something that will graphically kick my ass.

JamieWebb16

Quote from: A_red_monk_called_Key on December 05, 2011, 10:18:36 AM
please come up with something that will graphically kick my ass.
You're, on! >:3

A_red_monk_called_Key

Good luck this week JamieWebb16 if your still in.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

snarfblam

Holy Christ. Is that tile work original?

Qactis

No slopes :(. It also strikes me odd that the FG platforms do not have transparency in the holes. Not sure how I feel about the 8x8 filler tiles. I am definitely in love with the BG though, all of it is great. The computers also look good.

Katelyn

A_red_monk_called_Key

QuoteNo slopes :(
only because its not common to see slopes in metroid areas, as soon as i get as far as the boss there will be more slopes. as for the FG tiles w/out holes, i tried that and it didn't look good, so i just made them black.

snarfblam

I wouldn't expect it to look the great, really. With a tube like that, the holes on the front face and the holes on the rear face wouldn't line up neatly. If you had misaligned "holes within the holes" (just "offset" the back holes; where they line up, make it transparent), it might look natural, but I like it as is. The 8x8 filler tiles look fine too. There are enough irregularities to break it up (not that anything mechanical needs to be irregular). I think the hacker's eye might be trained to pick out 8x8 tiles, though, which makes it stick out more to metconsters.

Qactis

Quote from: snarfblam on December 10, 2011, 06:12:23 PM
I wouldn't expect it to look the great, really. With a tube like that, the holes on the front face and the holes on the rear face wouldn't line up neatly. If you had misaligned "holes within the holes" (just "offset" the back holes; where they line up, make it transparent), it might look natural, but I like it as is.
This thought had occurred to me after posting my criticism :p.
Quote from: snarfblam on December 10, 2011, 06:12:23 PMThe 8x8 filler tiles look fine too. There are enough irregularities to break it up (not that anything mechanical needs to be irregular). I think the hacker's eye might be trained to pick out 8x8 tiles, though, which makes it stick out more to metconsters.
Another good point.
Quote from: A_red_monk_called_Key on December 10, 2011, 05:03:38 PM
only because its not common to see slopes in metroid areas, as soon as i get as far as the boss there will be more slopes. as for the FG tiles w/out holes, i tried that and it didn't look good, so i just made them black.
Happy to hear not all of your mechanical rooms will be square sir

ProjectXVIII

[spoiler][/spoiler]

HOLY SHIT A ROOM GOGOGOGOGOGO

Quietus

Voted for Project.  I love the clean simplicity of the room, and the colours are great.

Quote58

Tough decision, they're both great rooms.
In terms of Projects room, the level design is really good, and it's a great use of vanilla tiles. The background is really nice as well. The pallet however, I just don't like.
Red monkeys room is, although quite square, really good for what it's supposed to be. The custom tiles are amazing and the room is well laid out. and having played it in game, it's really good.
My vote goes to Red monkey.

MetroidMst

I am not a fan of Project's palette, or Red_M0nk3y's tileset... I went with Project because the tiles and room look better despite the baby puke he based the sandy stuff off of. I just don't really like that GFX in all honesty.