News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Week 2011 - Archives

Started by Phazar, January 02, 2011, 09:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zhs2

Silver Skree

Quote from: snarfblam on June 21, 2011, 06:09:02 PMSkree, you've got some serious saturation going on there.
Am I to take this as a compliment by the reasoning that you said 'saturation' as opposed to 'oversaturation'?

Stating facts does nothing. Anyone can see facts. A person's opinion on the facts makes for criticism or praise.
(This post was written at 3:00 AM. Please disregard any unusual elements of this post, including this very message.)

Parabox

Seeing as I find DarkSamus' room better than Skree's (which is mainly due to the palette), I'm not gonna vote.

snarfblam

It was an observation. Nothing more. Saturation isn't inherently good or bad. My own work is very saturated (partly a matter of the hardware, partly a matter of my style). If you're looking for criticism, the room is a bit busy and the background is bright and hard to distinguish.

I haven't actually voted on a room yet. They're both good but not great.

Edit: Parabox, I just might put in a vote for DS on your behalf.

Quietus

Quote from: Parabox on June 22, 2011, 05:50:24 PMSeeing as I find DarkSamus' room better than Skree's (which is mainly due to the palette), I'm not gonna vote.
That doesn't seem very community-spirited... :neutral:

Amphitryon

Most certainly both are nice aesthetically, but I will vote for Silver Skree as his room is somewhat more innovative on that matter. However I don't find such grand importance in competitions of this style, because people don't create their rooms ( or do they) having in mind the poll but rather their hack (?). So the rooms are random that way.

Quietus

It's a bit of both.  I get the impression that some of the submitted rooms may have been created solely for the competition, but you'd assume that if the creator considers a room worthy of the competition, then it'd be good enough for a hack.  Now I'm confused. :O_o:

ProjectXVIII

* Project XVIII posts a room because nobody else has
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Amphitryon

You should wait till the last days anyway but I am having finished a room just now, don't you worry  :grin:

Zhs2

Technically, it IS the last days. Weekends are for submitting, and weekdays are for voting.

MetroidMst

X-tradyte

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Well, Luckily I got it in on time! I hope you like it, guys! Just a little item room. :P

MetroidMst

ProjectXVIII: Not really much to say as the tileset you're working with is hard to use. I like the boxes and the one being "grappled" is a nice touch though.

DarkSamus: To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the BG. You do pretty good work for the rest of the room. (Especially with a tileset I loathe working with.) Palette is a bit unusual, not used to seeing so much yellow as a base color. It isn't bad, just different.

zephyrtronium

Project: Lots of unused space.
Mst: Very straight and unnatural walls.
DS: Background too empty.

Quietus

Quote from: zephyrtronium on July 04, 2011, 11:36:22 AMDS: Background too empty.
I would imagine there's a layer 2 background.  Unfortunately, they're not shown when you use the Level to Bitmap option.

At least I hope so, and it's not DS being lazy again. :stern:

X-tradyte

Nope. I'm not being lazy. :P I would've fixed a cave BG up, If those unused tiles weren't so spacious as to make the BG look bad. but what I did was use them for both FG and BG, just to kinda mix it up.

Sorry, if that dissapoint, Quietus.

squishy_ichigo

People complaining DarkSamus has no background, how did you not notice he was using layer 1 and 2 for the foreground effect he created? :U

Hazard Remiix

Quote from: squishy_ichigo on July 04, 2011, 12:24:42 PM
People complaining DarkSamus has no background, how did you not notice he was using layer 1 and 2 for the foreground effect he created? :U

I did >:3

Well, Since I'm posting. I'm voting for Project, Reason is I like his usage of tiles. I think it's important for a room to have space so there are less Perm a-stucks.
DS: Just straight out no. Don't use brown for Tile set 1 (Or 2 XP) 
MetroidMst: Good, I really like the usage of mushrooms >:3 keep it up.

Quietus

Quote from: squishy_ichigo on July 04, 2011, 12:24:42 PM
Coulda been custom tiles. :heheh:

ProjectXVIII

ProjectXVIII: Could use a lot more detail with the broken/rusty tiles and a better background, also what the fuck is with all the wasted space? :|

MetroidMst: I love what you did with the mushrooms, and the palettes look great, except for the door palette IMO.

DarkSamus: Yellow-brown palette is pretty ugly and the "unused" tiles look like they're part of the foreground because of the palette. I like your door palettes though. :D

X-tradyte

Quote from: Project XVIII on July 04, 2011, 05:48:12 PM
I like your door palettes though. :D
:D

Quote from: Project XVIII on July 04, 2011, 05:48:12 PM
Yellow-brown palette is pretty ugly and the "unused" tiles look like they're part of the foreground because of the palette.
I know, I feel like that's my only issue, aside from the "real" BG type thing. Could been betta.

Amphitryon

Can I still post or is it too late?

edit: nah, anyway it won't be fair cause people already placed their votes without having seen my room, so I'm waiting till next week.

MetroidMst

Quote from: Amphitryon on July 04, 2011, 08:19:22 PM
The weekends are for posting, the weekdays for voting.

Amphitryon

Quote from: MetroidMst on July 04, 2011, 09:53:19 PM
Quote from: Amphitryon on July 04, 2011, 08:19:22 PM
The weekends are for posting, the weekdays for voting.

I think someone posted a room on Monday though. No big deal so I'll wait till the weekend to post my room so it'll be fair for me.

snarfblam

Quote from: Amphitryon on July 04, 2011, 10:07:02 PM
I think someone posted a room on Monday though.
The thread doesn't get updated exactly at midnight (especially since we wouldn't all agree on when that occurs). As long as you post your room before the update, you're good.